Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

Thumbs up [VS] Reports from Human Relations

We'll be using this thread to report on any business going on with the roster, mainly when someone has been booted from the outfit, to state the fact and why the decision was made.

Let's try to keep this thread somewhat free from distractions, so it can serve as a repository for future reference.

--------------------------------
    EDIT:
    Here's the draft for membership policy that Wibbster and I have put together. The two of us will act according to this until it can be properly discussed at the next outfit meeting:

This policy is intended to handle situations where the behaviour of a member of the outfit consistently offends a significant number of the other members playing the game.

It is not intended to replace the application of common sense. 99% of problems can and should be resolved with a word at the time. What follows is only meant where this has failed and problematic behaviour is ongoing.

As a side note, a few members have suggested that we introduce an age limit, but there was opposition to this for the following reasons:

• The outfit is organised as a way for readers of RPS to play together. There is no age limit in place for viewing the site, so there shouldn't be one in place for joining the outfit.
    • Immaturity and/or bad behaviour is not limited to young players. I have known very mature twelve year olds and forty year olds who behaved like toddlers.
    • This type of problem is going to be very rare. The introduction of an age limit would be like using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut.

So, onto the policy...

• If a player's behaviour consistently falls outside the bounds of what is expected, and this is agreed by a sufficient number of members then they shall be contacted by a responsible member of the outfit. What 'a sufficient number' means is up for debate. A suggested approach would be that this kicks in when at least two people have raised concerns separately, and these concerns are confirmed as reasonable by whoever is taking responsibility for following this procedure.
    • The exact method of contact is not important as long as it is done privately, but a separate Mumble channel would be preferable.
    • It shall be explained to them what the problem is, what they need to change about their behaviour, and that they are at risk of being forced to leave the outfit.
    • Agreement will be sought from the player that they will change their behaviour.
    • If they do not give their agreement then they are kicked from the outfit.
    • Even with agreement, the player's future behaviour needs to be monitored, and lapses will result in them being kicked from the outfit.

We need to keep a record of people that have been kicked so that everyone is aware of what is going on. (editor's note: that would be in this thread)

And that's about it.

This is the list of people who have volunteered to serve as HR (or "outfit daddies/mommies", as I like to call them). Contact one of these if you have any issues with another outfit member. They will raise the issue in private with that person and see that it is sorted or the person is kicked.

• Wibbster
    • EsotericReverie

(If you want to volunteer, send one of us a message on this forum or in-game)
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 24-03-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Now, as a further note, these rules could apply to any number of things that you, for some reason, do not want to confront someone with; attitude, language, harassment, team-killing, racism, misogynism (or any other kind of icky -ism). In short, if there is anyone that's doing anything that annoys you severely, or makes you feel uncomfortable, contact one of us and we will act as your intermediary, in confidence (meaning we will not say who you are). We will raise the issue in the most respectful manner we can manage, and try to get it sorted.

I'd like to report you two for being too nice! It reflects poorly on the rest of us Seriously though, this is a great initiative, big ups to you for dealing with all of this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    I'll try to be civil about this: THAT LITTLE FUCK MANAGED TO MAKE TWO PLs QUIT THE GAME WITHIN 15 MINUTES! AND IT'S THE FIRST TIME EVER I EXPERIENCED RAGEQUIT!

The above is, trust me, the polite and calm way of putting it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    I'll try to be civil about this: THAT LITTLE FUCK MANAGED TO MAKE TWO PLs QUIT THE GAME WITHIN 15 MINUTES! AND IT'S THE FIRST TIME EVER I EXPERIENCED RAGEQUIT!
    are you talking about who i think you are talking about?
    She's got lots of layers, like an onion made of boobs.
    - Lilith about Moxxi
    Be my friend on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by madmoxxi View Post
    are you talking about who i think you are talking about?
    Yes /10char

This is why the Flying Spaghetti Monster (Hail His Bolognesey Greatness) invented the local mute button. I'm here to have fun and if someone is ruining it for me they will get muted. I think I've only done it twice whilst with RPS and once was because of an open mic. Then as soon as you can raise it with the HR guys and let them deal with it. Don't broadcast what you have done tho, as that can wind them up further

Agree, but here's a fun tidbit: It was the HR guy that also quit. Now that I come to think about it, it is actually hilarious.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    you left out all the juicy tidbits, eclectic. damnit.

Has this situation, whatever it was, been sorted? Send me a message otherwise.

Activated Node
    I did not quit because of him - I did actually need to get some food, and I view any implication that I might have left because I didn't want to deal with him as more than a little offensive given how much effort I've put into setting this whole thing up. Anyway, I ended up pulling him to another mumble channel and read him the riot act in the politest possible way. He now knows the deal and that if he continues behaving in the same way then he will have to leave the outfit. On a similar note, if he is leading and you've had enough, he seems to respond to being asked to move over and letting someone else lead.
    Last edited by Wibbster; 25-03-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Activated Node
    Oh, and this thread really needs to NOT be a place to vent anger and trash talk other members of the outfit. As the first post states, to be fair to all parties, if you have an issue then contact either Esoteric or myself by Mumble, tell or pm on this forum and we will look into it.

I apologise, Wibbster. Sorry.

I have something I would like discuss with either Eso or Wibbster, will either or both of you be on tomorrow night?

Activated Node
    I can be on either early, say before 6 if you need, and will definitely be on after about 10pm.

I only get in from work about 5:30pm so I can try to get on about then. If we miss each other then 10pm would be amazing. Thanks Wibbster

I can probably be on at around that time as well, or later on.

Okay, this thread has been dormant for a couple of weeks, thankfully, but I feel it is time to speak up again. This is not a post meant to imply that anyone has misbehaved and is about to be kicked from the outfit, but rather about general chatter and being considerate. I will mention no names.

Yesterday evening, we were being pushed hard near our warpgate on Esamir, and it was a very relaxed evening, no one really wanting to take a truly decisive lead. So far, everything OK. When the TR started hammering us at Grey Heron (I think it was, unimportant where anyhow) the majority were for falling back towards warpgate, but someone spoke up, saying we could handle this if we only were to play a little smarter. This was met by various exclamations of "have you seen the map?!" etc, and some joking banter which probably went a step too far. This led to a few people logging off in frustration, and setting a bad mood in the channel for those who remained.

Now, as I said at the beginning of this post, this is not meant to implicate anyone for misbehaving. I just want to make sure that we treat eachother respectfully. What sounds like fun to you, might not be that funny to someone else. See also CMaster's post on teamkilling during Silly Mondays.

Joking and having fun is good, but be considerate of your fellow players.
    We have different thresholds of tolerance for joking at our personal expense, and that can vary with any number of parameters, such as frustration at perceived subpar performance, as I can guess influenced this situation.

Note: this is not an invitation to discussion (see OP of this thread), and no one should feel any need to defend themselves, because this is not meant as an assault on anyone's behaviour. I feel certain that no ill was intended, but be careful still, okay? Thanks!

Another quick note from HR:

There have been some complaints of backseat leading, which you will be aware of if you've been on these forums the last couple of days. This is something we do not appreciate. Suggestions are usually welcome, but phrase them as such. If you think the PL is being dumb, do let them know, but try not to undermine their authority; most of us have enough trouble asserting ourselves as leaders anyway. A /tell can do wonders. There, enough reproach.

I'd also like everyone to refresh their memories of what was decided upon as the outfit policy on handling issues of misconduct on behalf of members. Find it at the top of this thread.

Thank you very much!