Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Magic in games

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    jnx, do you know Magic: The Gathering ? Compared to most computer games, magic very fancy. Only one out of 5 colors focuses on direct damage. You can play for free against good AI using this program:
    http://code.google.com/p/magarena/
    pass

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    jnx, do you know Magic: The Gathering ? Compared to most computer games, magic very fancy. Only one out of 5 colors focuses on direct damage. You can play for free against good AI using this program:
    http://code.google.com/p/magarena/
    Magic needs more terrain. I mean, not really, but I just love terrain stuff.

Yeah MTG is pretty nice. I've played the computer versions quite a bit, also duels of planeswalkers 2013. The lack of metagame and visuals is somewhat disturbing though, I'd rather play MTG for real but I'm really not going to start it unless some enthusiast moves into my neighbor or something.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I'm not sure what you're referring to with "visuals". Magarena has card scans, they just can't distribute them with the app for legal reasons. So you go into a menu, click on a button, and make some tea while they download themselves.

If I was to design a game in fantasy setting, I would start with this:
    - bows, crossbows etc are for killing at a distance
    - swords, maces etc are for killing up close
    - magic is for everything else not mentioned above

And I would add some more points to the list, while magic would remain at the bottom. You could kill people with magic, but it would be much more indirect and you'd have to be creative. This would also mean that wizards who want to consistently pull their weight in battles would have to use swords or crossbows. Like, you know, Gandalf.

--------------

jnx, are you going to tell me you've played POWDER (the graphical roguelike) as well ? Spells in that game aren't particularly manipulative, but the developer has said "I don't implement spells that don't require new code." And one of the gods - Pax - gets mad when you kill anyone yourself. It's clearly a viable playstyle.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 26-03-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I'm messing around with the Thaumcraft-mod for Minecraft currently, so far I haven't cast that many spells, it's been more about researching magical artifacts and building/creating them. I think it is compelling, but it's also timeconsuming and a bit fiddly.

Network Hub
    Oooh, just remembered Julian Gollop's Chaos! One of the first games I ever emulated, and it still holds up pretty well. It's a wizardly deathmatch where each wizard gets a hand of random spell cards: some summon creatures, some do physical attacks, some create equipment, and some do things like create a forest. There's a law/chaos balance, too, that affects the probability of casting aligned spells. For example, dragons require a lot of chaos to reduce the failure chance; however, you have the option of using summons as illusions for 0% failure. They work just like normal creatures, but if an opponent chooses to disbelieve, it is dispelled.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    I'm messing around with the Thaumcraft-mod for Minecraft currently, so far I haven't cast that many spells, it's been more about researching magical artifacts and building/creating them. I think it is compelling, but it's also time consuming and a bit fiddly.
    Now that is how magic should feel. Time consuming and fiddly.