Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar

Display Driver Crashes

I'm having some problems with my video drivers or card which happened out of nowhere.

I've been gaming away for months with no problem at all but since yesterday I've been getting frequent Display driver crashes saying " Display Driver has crashed and is recovered." I tried previous versions of drivers, uninstalling, cleaning and installing them again but nothing seemed to fix the problem.

When running a gpu temp monitoring temp it seems the card gets to 85C within two minutes on idle and the fan goes to max rpm until the drivers crash for some strange reason, the fan is dust free and running without problems.

I'm running a Nvidia GTX 570 on Windows 7.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Hmm. This would indicate either that your card is overvolted or heavily overclocked by ... something. Somewhere. SInce you have no idea what causes it, perhaps switching your bios settings to default might be a fix. If you are using something like MSI afterburner, be absolutely sure that you did not accidently press a wrong button somewhere.
    From memory, I rmeember that overclocks are being set in the registery - perhaps installing MSI afterburner and downclocking your card might help.

Alternatively, the part of your graphic's card that monitors temperature might be broken and be giving false numbers, causing your display driver to panic and shut itself down to prevent burnouts. I do not know if anything can be down about this, except RMA.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 25-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I have Virtu MVP running but that's even mentioned on my motherboard itself and it gave no trouble the past two weeks I've been running that.

I'll try resetting a couple of things and see if that helps.

Edit; Installed windows and seems to have fixed the problem, Nvidia really has some buggy installation and removing driver process.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 25-03-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Edit; Installed windows and seems to have fixed the problem, Nvidia really has some buggy installation and removing driver process.
    Good to see things worked out for you :).
    Yes, driver de-installation has always been a pain. next time, you could try this program and see if it works out for you.