Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

And Bioshock Infinite is a letdown for me personally :(

The first part of the game is really fun, however it doesn't do anything that blows you away, it's pretty much the same opening that Bioshock did. It was obviously an intentional callback, sadly it didn't pay off, I would have preferred something new that would have my draw drop like Bioshock did. Wondering around and messing around with a few mini games is fun, there is a lot of nice detail, even if the games are rather lackluster, they normally are though as they're there to just fill the world. I got really bored with the constant loot stream in Bioshock, I found myself looking at the ground more than I did the scenery and it becomes very tiresome, sadly they've kept it and it just ruins the experience. I really do not see the need for it all as there are game mechanics that have dropped that stuff, though that is my own personal preference.

Despite all that I was really excited to carry on and meet Elizabeth (I wanted her to remind me of Alyx in HL2) and so I was still excited to carry on as those were just little niggles....

Then the combat happened :( I cannot continue, it's so bad and while I felt like the combat in Bioshock was bad, some how it feels even more dated here, probably cause we're 6 years on. I just do not like the combat one bit, it feels really clunky and it will tire me out to use it, half the problem is the layout. I don't get why Melee is assigned to V, why not have it as Mouse 1 and you select it? It just makes no sense, especially at the very start whee you have no other weapon. I hate the process of switching between vigors, it's another step they make difficult, probably because of the weapons. I just don't see why everything is assigned it's own buttons, it really feels like there are three separate combat systems. I'm constantly pressing F to loot which is annoying, like why not just have auto loot or assign it to E or something? It's a button you press a lot and F just isn't as convenient to hit.

The gunplay is the worst though, the guns feel weak, they feel inaccurate, it's pretty much as bad as Bioshock. I was hoping after all these years it would have been somewhat evolved, I mean even Mass Effect made an effort. It just feels bad, so bad I cannot continue with the game, it just isn't fun and the combat is just making me tired and my fingers ache. I dunno what it is like with a controller, it's probably much better as it definitely hasn't been made to work well with Mouse and Keyboard. I had to spend ages getting the mouse sensitivity right, basically turn it all the way down and my DPI all the way down just so it wasn't so sensitive.

I so wanted to love this game and everything else could be so amazing but the combat is just so bad :\ I know it isn't just a shooter but don't put it in if you cannot get it right....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I think it's better than in the first BioShock. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how accurate the pistol is. Not feeling the machinegun though. Iron sights are as rubbish as in BioShock 2. The vigors look VERY cool but... eh. They're overpowered yet lack punch. It's hilarious they kept the same loot mechanics. At least the stores don't talk.

Now I only played a bit over two hours, but so far it's shaping up to be one of those games I play for production values alone. The Prometheus of the gaming world!
    There's no story so far, just a random string of ideas. I hope they explain why Booker didn't know about Columbia, it's quite jarring to stumble upon newspapers that feed the backstory while the main character is completely oblivious.

Network Hub
    Yeah having to hold Z down to zoom in is horrible, it's like why isn't this a right mouse click function? Why did they try to do melee, guns, and vigors all at the same time? Woulda just been better to switch between and melee can be mixed in with guns, it doesn't need to be the button B.

The pistol obviously has aim assists on it as it feels totally inaccurate, not satisfying to fire at all, weak as hell and yet it kills things accurately and fast. You just don't get that feeling when using it, instead you just feel totally detached from the whole experience of using it and it feels fake and horrible. It suffers from the poor Bioshock weapon combat there though.

I just don't get why the reviews glossed over the really poor combat, I mean I have no interest to carry on playing, 2 hours in and I'm probably not going to bother with it again. It really is that bad, it's like Mass Effect, got to the combat......... no this is really bad, uninstall. Yet for some reason people just overlook it even though it's the main part of the game.
    Last edited by TixyLixx; 26-03-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Kicksalot, that IS touched on as to why Booker was oblivious to Columbia (The rest of the world knows it, but he was....pre-occupied with other indulgences) The story is starting to take shape now (The hints were there but it starts to form about an hour or so after you meet Elizabeth).

As for Tixy's comments, Melee has usually been assigned it's own seperate key in a lot of games, and I agree that the use of V can be jarring next to C which is crouch, yet I've not really had a problem with it. As for your loot criticism, I've found I've had less floor observation than the previous Bioshocks myself, but Apples and Oranges I suppose.

And surely this could of gone in the Bioshock Infinite thread? :P
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't get why Melee is assigned to V, why not have it as Mouse 1 and you select it? It just makes no sense, especially at the very start whee you have no other weapon. I hate the process of switching between vigors, it's another step they make difficult, probably because of the weapons.
    Someone did not play a siren or berserker in Borderlands!

Honest question: can you not rebind keys in Infinite? Because if you can't, there's no way in hell I'm buying that game.

Obscure Node
    It's a letdown for me, because Steam is crapping out with a network error and I can't launch it.

Gah.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Someone did not play a siren or berserker in Borderlands!
    Or any other class ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Honest question: can you not rebind keys in Infinite? Because if you can't, there's no way in hell I'm buying that game.
    Of course you can. What led you to believe that you couldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by elfbarf View Post
    Of course you can. What led you to believe that you couldn't?
    Presumably the fact people are complaining about the default keybinds, which is baffling.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Or any other class ;)
    True but those 2 have heavy melee focus gameplay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    He is more complaining about the core gameplay,the key binding was extra whine hah,otherwise Bioshock series are decent fps games,nothing more and nothing less.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Presumably the fact people are complaining about the default keybinds, which is baffling.
    Yeah, that. I mean, I assumed the only reason to whine about keybinds is if you're not able to change them. Good to know you can.

Obscure Node
    Can't wait to play it when ever I pick it up xD

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    TixyLixx disappointed with another game? Colour me surprised. I look forward to future upcoming TixyLixx threads 'Watchdogs: Ubisoft have pissed on my dreams' 'GTA V: Rockstar have ruined my life' later in the year.

Personally I'd of thought this post would have quite happily sat in the existing bioshock infinite discussion thread here: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...shock-Infinite

But that's too much for some people it seems.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 27-03-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: for grammar pedants
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    would of
    Would have.

*goose-steps away from thread*

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Kadayi playing the role of unsolicited mod? Colour me surprised. I look forward to future Kadayi posts, "What does this thread have to do with games?" and "What does this thread have to do with games?" and am especially excited for the debut of his upcoming magnum opus, "What does this thread have to do with games?"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    Kadayi playing the role of unsolicited mod? Colour me surprised. I look forward to future Kadayi posts, "What does this thread have to do with games?" and "What does this thread have to do with games?" and am especially excited for the debut of his upcoming magnum opus, "What does this thread have to do with games?"
    Mimicky? If that's the best you can bring to the table Pig, don't bother posting in future.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what I'm saying (there is a subject thread already), and Tix has a long history of these 'this game disappoint' threads. So what's your gripe exactly? Bar that it's me posting? Jack shit I suspect.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Note that Kadayi made a valid point and that there is no need to jump on him -- there isn't really any reason why this has to be its own thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Yeah was gonna say can't this just go in the other thread and you can rebind keys. Also there isn't auto-aim enabled unless you go switch it on... and the carbine and sniper rifle are both pretty accurate.