Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Which FPS has the most satisfying weapons then?

Settle a pub argument please!

Which FPS has the most satisfying weapons, the ones which look right, sound right, the enemies react right and don't act as bullet sponges (bye bye Metro 2033) and so on...

The overall game quality isn't the issue here - just the 'do the boomsticks go boom in a lovely way' factor!

Our argument came down to the first Crysis, the first F.E.A.R. and an almost-ran in terms of the first Bioshock but I think he'd had 1-too-many Tia Marias, frankly.

Illustrate your argument as you like - shotgun kerchks, bullet thwups and so on are welcome here...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Bioshock one had some of the least satisying weapons imaginable, though that could've just been brought on by how terrible the shooting mechanics actually are in that game.

I know it's not FPS but the guns in Space Marine all felt amazing. To me, no fps has ever had guns as satisfying as that.

*EDIT*

If I have to pick one, Red Faction 1. Great weapons, all unique and felt just right.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 26-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Soldier of Fortune 2 for me. The guns felt amazing and the damage modelling was amazing for the time. I loved the little details like, when a grenade goes off near a window, the glass will get stuck in the enemies.
    Last edited by SephKing; 26-03-2013 at 10:17 AM.

UT2K3 had some satisfyingly meaty weapons, especially the flak cannon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Painkiller, of course. Every weapon brings a new kind of death to the table, though the Stake Gun was the most interesting. The Stake Gun fires 7 foot stakes and impales enemies to walls.

Blood is definitely the front runner, in creativity as much as destructive power. And volume, everything is so loud especially the enemies when you are either blowing them into quivering chunks of meat or setting them alight to watch them run about flailing their arms. Often both at the same time. It's so satisfying even your in-game character starts to cackle like a raving lunatic.

I'm gonna go with Unreal Tournament just because it has the best rocket launcher ever concieved in an FPS. Nothing shoots out five rockets in one go.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Activated Node
    For me it's F.E.A.R. Specifically, the Penetrator nail gun and the Type 7 particle cannon. Using them without the bullet-time is very satisfying.

Activated Node
    Resistance and Liberation (the mod) had it nailed down pretty well for me. Great supression sounds, loud weapons, crapping yourself when an mg42 fires at you. Too bad they stopped developing it, although I think they're working on a cryengine version now. I think most games don't have proper sound effects when you get fired at, and what it can change in the experience of supressive fire. In RnL I would actually fire at a window I was moving towards to keep a guy's head down. Not many games where this is actually useful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    (bye bye Metro 2033)
    No way! A bullet to the unexposed neck bit or, better yet, a throwing knife to the unexposed neck is a very satisfying way to kill an enemy in Metro.

I personally think that Counter Strike: GO has very satisfying weaponry (sounds great, hard to use, but a headshot is always neat), as well as Battlefield 3 (sounds great, feels great, etc. And that knife!). The weapons from UT are great because of their variaty. something can also be said for the Flare Pistol from Far Cry 2.

However, nothing off the above meets the satisfying grin I get on my face whenever I fire the massive machine guns and cannons that Wings of Prey (and War Thunder) offer that tear enemy airplanes to pieces, whilst the windscreen goes black due to the oil of the enemy plane bleeding out of the engine. Cliffs of Dover is a close second because it is just a lot harder to hit stuff there, making it more rewarding to down something with them, even though the explosions are not as gratifying.

shotgun in doom.
    also most weapons in red orhcestra 2, but especially bolt-action rifles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    First FEAR hands down,one of the best corridor first person shooters!!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    shotgun in doom.
    I kinda think a lot of the guns in RO2 were a let-down. They're not loud enough! Compare RO1 and RO2 and the guns in RO2 just don't have any punch to them, nor is it particularly scary when you get shot at.

Easy. Receiver. Go support it nao >:O
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    UT2K3 had some satisfyingly meaty weapons, especially the flak cannon.
    Jams speaks the truth.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    Absolutely this. Arguments about 'loudness' of the weapons or not, Tripwire are just masters of weapons models. Every weapon both looks and sounds (IMO) great. The animations also feel truly realistic. Nothing beats the feeling of nailing that stubborn fascist with a well aimed shot with the Mosin :)

Their other game Killing Floor, while not my type of game, certainly has some great looking (and sounding!) weapons models.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I remember the first game of UT2K3 I played online only used that beam rifle with some mod that it was a one hit kill. I was so confused that they'd take out all the good guns.

I still like RF1 more, but UT2K3 is a close second.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Play Metro on higher difficulties. The bullet sponge thing goes away, for everyone.

My personal favorite is the original Unreal Tournament GOTY edition. Not only does it have the series standards like the flak cannon, the GES biorifle, five mode rocket launcher, redeemer, and shock rifle combo; it has the overpowered enforcers, chainsaw, and the ripper. That's not mentioning telefraging.

The shotgun in Doom 3 is an all time favorite for me, it feels really powerful, and it sounds great. I'd also like to nominate Borderlands 1/2, not so much because of the feel of the weapons, but the amount of procedurally generated weapons deserves a special mention IMHO.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I remember the first game of UT2K3 I played online only used that beam rifle with some mod that it was a one hit kill. I was so confused that they'd take out all the good guns.

I still like RF1 more, but UT2K3 is a close second.
    That's instagib matches. It's a special mode that comes with all versions of the game. It's all about skill since the shock rifles are fast and pinpoint accurate. Once you get into the swing of it, it becomes really fun and competitive.