Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Dark Messiah of Might & Magic wins by a long shot. Be it the "neck stab & twist" of the stealth kills, the utility of the ice spell, the omnipresent kicking boot or the fire spells setting everyone on fire.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    As far as fun to play with goes the UT games for me.

I'd also give a shout to Medal of Honour: Allied Assault (I'm sure other games may have surpassed it by now, but I haven't played them so I'll stick with it), particularly in terms of its audio (those rifle cracks were terrifying) but also for the animations (the big bulky anti tank rockets being a highlight).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Silent Hill. Joking!

Has to be the railgun in Q3A for me. I'm not much of a bunny rabbit, so couldn't keep up with the acrobatics in LAN. Mastering the railgun and concentrating on aiming rather than rocket jumping was really satisfying once it started paying off. For me personally anyway.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    This thread has me wanting to install UT2K3 again. I wonder if people still run games of it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Shotgun or Super-shotgun from the first two Doom games, primarily because they feel dumb and powerful. Of all the high tech silliness in other games, nothing matches the crude BOOM-Click-Clack-Clunk of the Super-shotgun.
    Also nods to the Flaregun from Blood, Stake gun from Painkiller (It shoots stakes, STAKES THAT SET ON FIRE!), Rocket Launchers from Quakes, most WWII bolt action rifles (especially MK98s) and, if permitted, the Gravity Gun from HL2 for the ability to throw radiators.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Another vote for Killing Floor. If there's one thing Tripwire gets perfectly right, it's gotta be the absolutely fantastic gunplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I'd also give a shout to Medal of Honour: Allied Assault (I'm sure other games may have surpassed it by now, but I haven't played them so I'll stick with it), particularly in terms of its audio (those rifle cracks were terrifying) but also for the animations (the big bulky anti tank rockets being a highlight).
    MOHAA was awesome in this department, too. I vividly recall the feel you got when there was a bunch of your squadmates firing their Garands with that distinct bangbangbangbangbangbangbang-ZINNNNG sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Dark Messiah of Might & Magic wins by a long shot. Be it the "neck stab & twist" of the stealth kills, the utility of the ice spell, the omnipresent kicking boot or the fire spells setting everyone on fire.
    I would easily agree with you there, but I don't necessarily consider Dark Messiah to be an FPS. But good God you're right - everything you did in that game felt immensely satisfying, from kicking people into spikes or decapitating them or even stabbing them with an uncocked arrow. Arkane seems to have a bit of a legacy in that field, which is why Dishonored felt so damn good, too.

But if I had to choose one first person shooter (implying that it has guns in it), I'd have to go with original Qu'ake. UT2k4 would be a close second, followed by Fallout 3, but Quake was ridiculously solid. Taking out a shambler with a double barrelled shotgun was just about the most fun I'd ever had in first person shooter before. They simply don't make them like that anymore, do they? That's a damned shame.

I'll add my voice to the FEAR camp. Meaty guns with a lot of omph. You felt like a god with the shotgun at close range.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well I'd disagree with all the OP's picks, Crysis had bullet sponge enemies (either headshot them or wave half a mag goodbye), Bioshock has some of the worst feeling guns ever and FEAR, while the strongest contender by far, lost any chance the moment I realised that the gun firing 6 inch nails failed to kill enemies in one headshot unless they were unaware of you.

Painkiller is certainly a good contender, if for the tree-launcher alone, and none of the weapons feel particularly weak. I also considered Tribes: Ascend, most of the weapons feel powerful there too and the satisfaction of nailing someone moving at high speed with a massive gun just adds to the feeling too.

However for my winner I'm going to break the rules slightly and assume the 'first person' part of this isn't the important bit, rather the weapons. It's the Dead Space series, it had to be. The weapons all sound meaty, they all look badass and when you shoot an enemy with one of these, you know about it. Limbs fly, blood splatters, the enemy flies back incinerated, impaled or dismembered.

Network Hub
    Action Quake 2 and FEAR are both great in their own ways. I don't feel like anything else I've played comes even close. Nearly every gun feels unique and highly satisfying to shoot a dude with.

In most games, satisfying guns are few and far between. Doom II's super shotgun and Counter-Strike's AK47 come to mind.

I can't think of any one game where every weapon was awesome but a special mention goes to the rail gun in Red Faction 1. With its heat sensor on-board, it was greatly satisfying to stalk people in multiplayer and nail them through walls.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I am loath to mention a console FPS here but when it comes to weapons, nothing comes close to Black. They combined the meatyness of Doom 2's guns with Painkiller's ferocity. And the sounds for the guns. Read here to see what they did to get the guns sounding right: http://www.criteriongames.com/black/...s/choirofguns/

It is the only console fps I actually like.

The Serious Sam games, UT2k4, Shogo: MAD all have great weapons too.

I'm gonna toss another nod in for UT2K3/4. The shock rifle combo animation, damage amount, and sound effect are all perfect. UT's Rocket Launcher and Flak Cannon are also superb.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I'm going to say, Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear. Even if you had a full squad and there was just one enemy with a pistol left in the building, you still had to respect that pistol. =P
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I am loath to mention a console FPS here but when it comes to weapons, nothing comes close to Black. They combined the meatyness of Doom 2's guns with Painkiller's ferocity. And the sounds for the guns. Read here to see what they did to get the guns sounding right: http://www.criteriongames.com/black/...s/choirofguns/

It is the only console fps I actually like.

The Serious Sam games, UT2k4, Shogo: MAD all have great weapons too.
    Black was a damn good game, if I remember correctly. All of the building destruction really added to how great those guns felt. Same wth Serious Sam and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (which was the best Battlefield, and you know it). Also of note is Counter-Strike.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    ^ Yes!

Black have some nasty and powerful gunplay. Every weapon was strong and the player will easily feel that he's using "real" guns instead of some plastic toys like in Call of Battlefield 3: Modern Manshooter 2: Warface Action 8: Ops

Other guns:

HL2 laser-pointer rocket launcher. Simple and fun.

Alien vs Predator 2 SMARTGUN. Gun with built-in auto-aim. Awesome.

I think there's more of awesome FPS guns & weapons but I can't recall them from my memory at this moment.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    No, CS is not of note. Terrible hitscan and everything took a clip to die.

Someone said Action Quake 2. The sawed off shotgun in that game, godamn!

Nobody mentioned Rage yet. So I do that now: Rage! Id may have lost their touch in other areas, but they still create the best boomsticks, imho.
    I also liked the guns in Crysis 2. Nice echoing in NYs urban canyons...

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    shotgun in doom.
    also most weapons in red orhcestra 2, but especially bolt-action rifles.
    Doom still has the best shotgun of any video game. In fact, except the pistol all of its weapons feel great to use.

Bioshock 2's arsenal was an improvement over the first game's (if only by virtue of actually doing some damage), but it's still not all that special. Even System Shock 2 had more satisfying gunplay.

I'll throw in another vote for Killing Floor. Every weapon in that game feels powerful without being cheap, the visual and audio effects are fantastic and you're rewarded for mastering their use. It also has the best implemenation of iron sights I've ever seen.