Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    UT has my favorite arsenal hands down.

Second would be HL2, and not just for the (blue) gravity gun, but it also has my favorite shotgun and assault rifle - the Combine one, the sound on that thing is so satisfying.

I'm also liking the weapons in Bioshock Infinite. A pretty standard arsenal, but it feels quite good and it's a HUGE step forward from the original game.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I'm going to have to say UT as well and not only because I spent an obscene amount of time playing that game.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    No, CS is not of note. Terrible hitscan and everything took a clip to die.

Someone said Action Quake 2. The sawed off shotgun in that game, godamn!
    It was a lot of lulz, but I think what's more remarkable about AQ2 is how substantial all the generic weapons - pistol, shotgun, SMG, assault rifle - feel in that game. Of course a big part of the feel is due to the mechanics, the underlying damage system with bleed/leg injury/kevlar effect, and the fact that every gun does huge damage. Even the basic pistol headshot took almost all health, plus started a fast bleed that finished the target off in seconds. No amount of realism in how the weapon is rendered, how it sounds or even how the target animates can make up for it if a broshooter character just shrugs off the hit and bounces back.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wolfenstein 09. Even the kar98 feels great and that's before you get the particle cannon or the tesla gun. Flamethrower's a bit weedy, but that's most videogames for you. I've never felt a game has wanted me to actually enjoy using the weapons it offers me as much as that game does.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    BF3

G53( 4 193 kills, I love stats) - way too good but very satisfying( I know it doesn't make much sense but I usually prefer wealer weapons), borderline OP in Hardcore and of course I only play Hardcore.
    AKSu-74( 2 263 kills) aka "SUchka", aka "Okurok" etc( "Norinco"?? gtfo). Weaker than G53 but it warms my heart to see it in any game.
    MP-443 ( 537 kills) aka "Grach" aka "Yaryga", very nice pistol, at least ingame.

HL2:Deathmatch

Gravity gun + grenades. No explanation needed.

HL1:Deathmatch

Shotgun - not sure why but it lost most of its' appeal in HL2.
    Crossbow - same.
    Tau Cannon - ... it's a Tau Cannon.

BF 2142

Krylov assault rifle, not sure why, just thought it's worth a mention.

CS 1.1 - 1.6

3-1t. Not sure what it was. Mac-10 or something.
    4-1t. Before Galil appeared.
    FAMAS in later games (4-1ct, probably)

Deus Ex

Sniper rifle with upgrades. Gamebraker, obviously, but Deus Ex wasn't hard anyway.

Far Cry 3

Flamethrower.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 26-03-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Well I'd disagree with all the OP's picks, Crysis had bullet sponge enemies (either headshot them or wave half a mag goodbye)
    I disagree with your disagreement. I don't know what game has the best weapons overall but as assault rifles go the SCAR in Crysis the first is marvellous. I really enjoyed modifying my weapons on the fly and it can cover any role, from long range sniper rifle to stealthy headshot weapon, sleep darting bastard weapon or meaty close range assault weapon. One head shot or 2-3 body shots (depending on range) with the SCAR will kill any of the standard human enemies, the only scenario where they'll be bullet-spongy is if you go for body shots with a silenced weapon at long range.

All the more disappointing that the SCAR in Crysis 2 felt a bit rubbish by comparison, partly because of the movement model and partly because the scopes were absolutely awful.

I share the fondness for the Doom shotgun, but that's nostalgia more than anything.

Honourable mention to STALKER, not because the weapons were great but because everything in the first half was so miserably awful that when you finally got some decent guns in the second half it felt truly empowering.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 26-03-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Obscure Node
    Crysis 3, bow.

Activated Node
    Red Orchestra: Ostfront by a mile for me. Bolt action rifles very satisfying.
    Last edited by noxnoctum; 26-03-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Blood is definitely the front runner, in creativity as much as destructive power. And volume, everything is so loud especially the enemies when you are either blowing them into quivering chunks of meat or setting them alight to watch them run about flailing their arms. Often both at the same time. It's so satisfying even your in-game character starts to cackle like a raving lunatic.
    Lock this thread

The wrench in Bioshock was pretty good, Goldeneye had the best throwing knives ever (except Soldat, but that's not an FPS.)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'll see your Blood and raise you a Turok cerebral bore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CaiXVbFZXI

It's HL's Gravity Gun, silly.

Or if you want to be po-faced it's deffo RO2's bolt action.

Wolf3D had some good weapons...that chaingun...and the sound for the knife...*pew pew pew*

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I'll see your Blood and raise you a Turok cerebral bore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CaiXVbFZXI
    Just a flesh wound, dinosaur didn't even sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorltonwheelie View Post
    It's HL's Gravity Gun, silly.
    Surprised it hasn't been said a million times yet.

Killing Floor's bolt-action rifle for power.

Bulletstorm for fun - especially the shotgun-ish weapon.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    UT, though my reasons probably apply to Quake too, I never played it anywhere near as much. Every weapon is distinct and unique, and deadly in the hands of a good player. No arguing about whether the increased damage of an AK 573 offsets its lower accuracy compared to the M472.

Other pick is Borderlands 2. I don't care how loud the weapons are, or if enemies explode in a cloud of gore in one hit. That doesn't mean a lot to me. What I love is the sheer insane variety, when I pick up a generic-looking assault rifle and discover it fires large explosive shells that bounce round corners, or realise an SMG is far more effective if I fire one shot at a time before throwing it in an enemy's face where it explodes while simultaneously reforming in my hands.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Other pick is Borderlands 2. I don't care how loud the weapons are, or if enemies explode in a cloud of gore in one hit. That doesn't mean a lot to me. What I love is the sheer insane variety, when I pick up a generic-looking assault rifle and discover it fires large explosive shells that bounce round corners, or realise an SMG is far more effective if I fire one shot at a time before throwing it in an enemy's face where it explodes while simultaneously reforming in my hands.
    Finding a Tediore rocket launcher was on of my favourite moments in this game. It's like throwing trees in your enemies face that also explode!

I'll add my vote to the UT2k's too. The rocket launcher, the flak cannon, hell, even the goddamn link gun was a joy to use.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Hmm.

Borderlands 2's Mongol rocket launcher is pretty good, it fires mini-rockets as the main one flies dead straight which can, in rare circumstances, cause lots of death. Borderlands 1's Bessie sniper rifle was awesome, +stupid% crit damage and a nice long zoom.

I love Far Cry 3's bow, taking down an outpost with just that is satisfying as hell. Never used the alternate ammo for it though.

Rage's pistol was awesome, there was that one ammo type that was like a machine gun that emptied itself every time you pulled the trigger (you then had to reload). That felt nicely hacky considering the setting, as if they'd weaponised a firework or something,

I had a lot of fun with the Anti Materiel Rifle in Fallout: New Vegas too, like Charlie Brooker I am something of a sniper coward myself... I'd much rather pick a Deathclaw off at a distance. Same goes for the M107 TWS in Arma II and the sniper rifle in Deus Ex. That thing was the best when you had it fully upgraded with all the relevant skills!

Im loving my Lee Enfield in New Vegas. With a scope, the satisfaction you get hitting a legion assassin is much fun

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravey View Post
    Surprised it hasn't been said a million times yet.
    Probably because the thread is asking which games have the most satisfying weapons, Half Life 2's weapons other than the gravity gun are a pile of suck. Judging by people's posts, a lot of games have basically one fun weapon, the rest being average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    I disagree with your disagreement. I don't know what game has the best weapons overall but as assault rifles go the SCAR in Crysis the first is marvellous. I really enjoyed modifying my weapons on the fly and it can cover any role, from long range sniper rifle to stealthy headshot weapon, sleep darting bastard weapon or meaty close range assault weapon. One head shot or 2-3 body shots (depending on range) with the SCAR will kill any of the standard human enemies, the only scenario where they'll be bullet-spongy is if you go for body shots with a silenced weapon at long range.
    Customising weapons is nice, but why does that make it satisfying to use? The small changes leave the weapon functionally identical and the major changes leave the weapon functionally identical to what in another game would simply be a different gun, it's just metagame. When I pull the trigger on that gun, it doesn't matter whether it's got a 10x scope, a fancy laser dot or a hot pink paint job, it's still just a peashooter with different wrapping.

In fact I'd say that the generic assault rifle weapon is the very antithesis of a satisfying weapon; it's in every game (and with modern manshoots there are usually multiple variations of the same damn thing), it's almost always designed to be a very ordinary, run of the mill mainstay weapon devoid of anything distinguishing or interesting.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 26-03-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Wolfenstein 09. Even the kar98 feels great and that's before you get the particle cannon or the tesla gun. Flamethrower's a bit weedy, but that's most videogames for you. I've never felt a game has wanted me to actually enjoy using the weapons it offers me as much as that game does.
    Came here to post this.
    The upgraded Tesla gun is my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Nobody mentioned Rage yet. So I do that now: Rage! Id may have lost their touch in other areas, but they still create the best boomsticks, imho.
    Yup, Rage's weapons were awesome. Shame the game was so easy you could blow through most of it on Nightmare mode using just the pistol and fatboy bullets. That game really needed a standard deathmatch mode. Would have been fucking fantastic.

For me, Quake's weapons rule. Nothing more satisfying than pinning someone to a wall with the lightning gun while they're in mid-jump, then finishing them off while a well placed rocket before their body hits the floor. Quake's rocket launcher > all others.

Runners up: Quake 3, Doom 2, Duke 3D and Blood. And as we're talking the later Fallouts, I'll add the railway gun and Rock-It launcher from F3, and my trusty Gobi Campaign scout rifle from F:NV.