Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    See, to me...that is enough to undo the weapon design. I haven't played Metro 2033 yet, but it is on my list and I am now wary.

The reason Crysis will never make my list is because it was miserable design against aliens and other suits. The guns felt just fine against squishy regular soldiers, but once you have a lasered SCAR (always had to use the laser because it was a straight upgrade giving you more accuracy) you are holding down the trigger like a mad man to try to down that other super suit dude. Halo managed to avoid this even with lots of super suit dudes.

I don't have a problem with aiming, FEAR require a lot of that... it is the lack of visual effect on your enemy that makes the weapon unsatisfying.
    It's not as much a problem in Metro, especially not if you play on Hardcore or Ranger mode (as the higher difficulties make everything die faster, including you). A lot of people recommend playing it on Ranger mode for the best gunplay, although I personally have not tried it, and found it fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Gonna have to be another Red Faction - getting used to that awesome semi-auto rifle towards the end of the game felt really satisfying. Plus, of course, amazing rockets and railgun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    F.E.A.R. 1 - That game is still one of my favorite shooters, the AI is probably still better than most games and the weapons were great. Penetrator easily one of the best weapons ever.

Unless I've missed it, no one has mentioned the original Serious Sam, which featured some ludicrously good weapons.

Still wouldn't quite get my vote though, that would have to go to either Bulletstorm or Doom 2 in terms of an all round arsenal that was awesome to use.

Killing Floor has some great weapons but some truly duff ones as well. Flak cannon in UT was awesome but the rest of the weapons felt weak. I also remember loving the revision to the BFG in Quake 3, but the stupid machine gun and grenade launcher weaken the overall

If we were talking about just one gun (sorta) then my money would have to be on the dual Colt 1911s from Action Half-Life

Bioshock Infinite's weapons felt considerably better than those of the first 2 games. The speargun in Bioshock 2 looked neat (when you pinned enemies to the wall) but it didn't feel anywhere as good as the hand cannon and sniper rifle in Infinite.

Network Hub
    I particularly found the weapons in Dead Space 1 and 2 to be very satisfying, as they are built around the gameplay mechanic of dismemberment. Strategically taking apart approaching monsters was simply awesome, with or without stasis. And although I haven't played Dead Space 3 yet, I hear that its weapon crafting makes for some fun and crazy combinations.

On another note, the idea that the plasma gun and line gun are actually repurposed work tools is laughable. Are you kidding me? Can you imagine the motivational displays on the walls at a facility like that? "Accident free for 8 minutes... wait, scratch that..."

Activated Node
    I totally forgot Condemened: Criminal Origins. Probably the best melee weapon feedback ever. It's especially great when you use the taser + melee combination.

Jump to 7:22

What happened to Monolith? :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elfbarf View Post
    Bioshock Infinite's weapons felt considerably better than those of the first 2 games. The speargun in Bioshock 2 looked neat (when you pinned enemies to the wall) but it didn't feel anywhere as good as the hand cannon and sniper rifle in Infinite.
    You can't be serious. The weapons were generic crap in Infinite. Hell HL2 had a much better revolver. A sniper rifle is a sniper rifle.