Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar

ServerSmash chat

Somewhere we can put general smash chat, and not clutter up the rosters!

Last match is here:

http://www.twitch.tv/planetsidebattles/b/577472341

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've tried to think constructively about something to do to improve Miller's performance, would appreciate your support or comments if you can bear the Miller subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/MillerPlanet...r_and_git_gud/

I was planning to do something similar for RTRS anyway, but I think this makes sense.

It's a nice idea, and I'll back it. Can't promise I can help too much but I'll pitch in when possible.

Couple of points I took from yesterday:
    - Repeat orders (thanks Jagged for asking a lot, it helped drill it in a bit)
    - Learn more bases than just our lane. We need to know what to do all the way back on our lane, and on any lane that branches from it.
    - Actually communicate with other outfits in the squad and relay important information (none of the SLs did this. It was poor on our part). I should have told MDK/RUSL which was we were going etc so they could support instead of working alone.
    - Your map might not be rendering that there's air support - but it's there.
    - Practice, practice, practice.

Even though I found it stressful I'd love to SL again.

Activated Node
    Definitely loved to SL during the SS, it was really hectic but very cool.

Boff, I may create a reddit thing to upvote your idea. Or whatever reddit works like, I still don't understand it.

I asked Morfildur if he had any points about our platoon (I'm all about feedback) and he said:

Platoon 2 performed decently well. I expected trouble with the language barrier since you had 2 outfits from completely different countries, but you managed to pull through and do what was necessary.I would like a little more emphasis on getting people into connected bases during a resecure or cap, e.g. precapping Sungrey Power Hub while working on the resecure, but that is something that not one outfit did.
    Thanks for the good job during the match

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Great idea to get feedback. There is some interesting post-match analysis on reddit as well. Seems like the big issue was Miller not being fast enough on the redeploys. These matches seem to be all about timing - crashing the point at the right time to make all the enemy's previous efforts meaningless.

Also, won't be able to make the next smash since I will be out of town.

We lost the initiative fairly early on when Emerald simply pushed more people on the bases than we could cope with and due to Miller's inflexibility we broke. Once we got the support we needed we pushed them back, but then were to slow to capitalise on the gains and let Emerald push on different lanes. As a server, we were just too slow.

Server smash, as I now understand it, is a lighting war: you need to put as much force as you can on the weakest point (in both a force aspect and potential gains aspect) of the enemies line, break through and then straight away capitalise on those gains with immediate back-capping and take the initiative from the enemy. Once they're forced to defend more than they can attack, you have the match. You need to get them dropping platoons on just a squad of infiltrators, force them to go up and down the lanes, break their cohesion and get them frustrated.

On a platoon level, one thing I did notice was after dropping and getting wiped from a base we were directed to go to a different base while Alpha dropped the base we were just at - if we'd dropped together perhaps we could have done more - though I wasn't SLing or PLing so don't know what the comms and orders were like. More inter-outfit stuff (NCTO, TVA etc) might be a solution to this issue.

All in all, I don't think this is a skill issue - it's a force issue. We have issues getting the initiative and then following through with multiple attacks. Both Emerald and Connery were able to get a foothold and then keep up the pressure with their QRF and so we were forced to spend more resources on defending.

P.S. make sure you sign up for the QRF training / squad play! http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post598705

Network Hub
    Post match POV from the Emerald FC http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...he_emerald_fc/

Interesting to catch his view on the smash
    GW2: fersumengin, Ulstermen
    Planetside 2: Fersumengin, (VS) Fersumengine (NC)
    Steam: RNC100
    Wildstar: Fersumengin
    Battlenet: rnc100 1317

Activated Node
    Nice writeup from the Emerald FC. Loved the comments where steveo is spewing the same daft MLG outfit selection nonsense.

Also, does nobody on reddit know the word "lose" or something?

Edit: edited for naughty language.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GOKU and CoOp were split up in two independent platoons, and I gave them both a very long leash. Their jobs were to make sure their areas (GOKU in the south, CoOp in the north) had caps going through and to provide that extra population to force Miller to react. That plan worked beautifully when Morfildur said during the postgame interview that he felt like he was outpopped everywhere. While Plt 2 (BAX/VCO) pushed around NC Arsenal and Plt 3 (V/Tag3/others) pushed their lanes, CoOp was bouncing between each lane (and sometimes down to Network Hub) to see caps through and tactically outpop. It worked really well.
    Interesting bit from Emerald FC (do they have football clubs in the US?). Also interesting that GOKU and COOP had 2 and 3 squads respectively, due to other Emerald outfits dropping out at the last minute. Having a very tight reserve force of two or three squads, tactically picking targets and outpopping them on multiple lanes, seems incredibly powerful.

It was POO, VCO and COOP that I remember fighting against all night. They just appeared and suddenly we have reavers pushing our air/gals out and then squads of em - including a max squad pushing us off the points.

Our platoon didn't feel very platoony, I'm not criticising Grumpy, he did his best (which is very good!) - with language barriers and constant outpop fighting against us, but it did feel like the nights where we are in squad comms and nobody tells us what charlie are doing writ large across a whole multi platoon force.

Network Hub
    Yeah I felt squad cohesion was good (and I'll admit I messed up a few times here cause I respawned instead of waiting for a res and ending up being the only person in jags gal), but I also felt like it was just us 12 rushing the point. Not once did all 36 of rush the point at the same time. With defending the point it felt a bit better though.

And I agree we were a bit slow with pulling the sundies, probably should have people pulling as soon as it's evident that the fight is going our way.

But then again there were moments when the redeploy didn't come. We managed to cap Sungrey power hub with no resistance at all.
    I pulled the squads off it because the 50% defence at Sungrey Amp Station somehow didn't manage to hold it. I had to put in 63% and we still almost lost it somehow. It was an insane waste of manpower and lost us 3 other bases because all our pop was sucked into that base for 10 minutes. I should have just abandoned it and used those forces to fight somewhere else, especially since every time we resecured it, there weren't any people at the points of sungrey power hub and sungrey west as I asked.
    It was a result of my earlier mistake to not secure NC Arsenal, but after that Sungrey Amp was the biggest fail in the match and put Emerald even further ahead.

--------------
    The above from our force commander on the emerald reddit thread

I remember the redeploy to Sungrey being a rush bounce, bounce affair we were most of the way into the north western base in a gal at least twice and got turned around. Also we were certainly not the only squad moving around Sungrey playing whack-a-mole instead of being able to split up and defend the points more efficiently.

Yeah it was whack-a-mole on Sungrey Amp, no doubt there. It seemed like as soon as we got it vaguely secure and moved out we then instantly lost it again.

One issue I picked up on as the Gal pilot was that people sometimes would ignore orders or instructions, there were a few times where I would be going in to squad drop a point (under the SL's orders) and 2 or 3 people just wouldn't spawn in it, same with people not dropping when instructed or spawning in on it after I've said it wasn't available due to repairs. Wasn't a massive issue though since it mostly seemed to be small mistakes. The sheer amount of redirections were irritating since the Gal isn't the most mobile of vehicles and is a pretty massive target but I understand why they had to be done.

I also have the entire thing recorded (without my mic) but due to the wonders of EE internet I can't really do much with it.
    Planetside 2:JaggedMallard26 (VS), JaggedMallard27 (TR, Cobalt) and Jaggedmallard28 (NC)

I'm quite nitpicky in forum discussions so be warned

I'd rather not hear myself screeching at everyone for two hours so I'll thank EE in this case.

I think there were several things, ranging from a FC/PL level down to squad and individuals.

- FC/PL (not sure who, probably FC) was indecisive a lot, meaning we were constantly bouncing from base to base or even in the middle of moving. This led to wasted time and effort, and particularly wasted nanites. We're not premium members in the SS, so our resource rate is slower, meaning those just pulled Maxes are more valuable, ditto vehicles.

- We didn't co-ordinate across squads properly. There were several occasions when you could see Alpha/Charlie under pressure whilst we were idling nearby. We could have gone and helped, but lack of communication meant we stayed put and didn't move or the order came too late. Structure of comms an issue here? I think this is a possible strength of the SS proposals to form permanent platoons.

- Redeploys. Cephas, you did a brilliant job, but you were expecting a bit too much some times. Even if I hit redeploy the second you tell me, it's going to take 10 seconds to count down and then another 5-10 before I've navigated the map screen and made it to the redeploy due to timers and the like. Frequently I was simply late in to the Gal or drop because I was fighting timers, not because I wasn't following orders. Take 10-15 seconds to slow down slightly and make sure people are following. I think what was happening was you were already mid-redploy, therefore 5-10 seconds ahead on calling a drop etc. Yes, if some people aren't following the order they need a chewing out, but we have to remember the game mechanics.

- Lack of vehicle play in the north? Not sure if that impacted us or not, but we didn't use many force multipliers beyond the occasional Max. Nanites probably played a role though here. Skyguards at least would have been useful, or sending 4 people out as a burster/lockon nest.

- Lack of air support. Definitely FC's fault. Sorry, but Miller pilots talk up their air game all the time, but they were never around and we suffered in the opens of the amp station. I don't think I ever saw a friendly Lib. I honestly think this was something that killed us at the amp station by stopping the momentum of our pushes.

- On the whole I thought we stuck together as a squad well, playing as a cohesive group. Not sure two medics is enough though, SS is often about getting revives going as fast as possible, especially with dodgy spawns. There's always work to be done, but I thought we were pretty good.

- More Sundies. We pulled them once. Even on the defensive we should have buses at strategic locations.

- Back-capping. When a base flips we should have a small force at the next to start the timer. That never happened.

- Dedicated pilot. Not sure we need this all the time? With grumpy doing PL, we were often down two bodies in the squad when boots on the ground mattered. Maybe this area of tactics needs to be worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post

- Redeploys. Cephas, you did a brilliant job, but you were expecting a bit too much some times. Even if I hit redeploy the second you tell me, it's going to take 10 seconds to count down and then another 5-10 before I've navigated the map screen and made it to the redeploy due to timers and the like. Frequently I was simply late in to the Gal or drop because I was fighting timers, not because I wasn't following orders. Take 10-15 seconds to slow down slightly and make sure people are following. I think what was happening was you were already mid-redploy, therefore 5-10 seconds ahead on calling a drop etc. Yes, if some people aren't following the order they need a chewing out, but we have to remember the game mechanics.
    You didn't actually need to wait for the redeploy timer, since its not live and your stats don't matter you can just type /suicide and then wait 5 seconds to spawn into the Gal

From my end the ability to quickly have us hit a point and act as a forward spawn seemed quite useful especially in Sungrey where it would often be easier to redeploy straight into the Galaxy than to run there on foot, when things did get hectic Cephas told me to dump the Gal and aid on foot. I also did try to provide a bit of air support when the air was clear enough for a rapid seat change but I do agree that the lack of air support was a killer in the late game.
    Planetside 2:JaggedMallard26 (VS), JaggedMallard27 (TR, Cobalt) and Jaggedmallard28 (NC)

I'm quite nitpicky in forum discussions so be warned

Even when I used /suicide, some of the redeploys were too fast for me to make it in time.

I'm not saying the Gal isn't useful, I'm just having an internal debate as to whether we need one 100% of the time (or even 50%?), especially as it wasn't gunned a lot of the time. Emerald seemed to run gunned bulldog gals more than us, which led to several horrible moments. Equally, those moments were when we desperately needed a friendly Lib and some Scythes to run them off.

Network Hub
    One constant factor in the smashes so far has been how lacking our Airforce has been.....
    GW2: fersumengin, Ulstermen
    Planetside 2: Fersumengin, (VS) Fersumengine (NC)
    Steam: RNC100
    Wildstar: Fersumengin
    Battlenet: rnc100 1317