Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I don't like buying weapons with certs, because I can't buy attachments with Station Cash, so I'd be of the opinion that no gun is really worth spending certs on. It depends on what you value your game time as though. I'll gladly pay a fiver for a weapon and then spend the 250 certs it'd cost, that probably at the rate I play and earn certs will take me 3+ hours to get the laser sight, 1x optics and then either the suppressor or advanced laser sight.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frengler View Post
    Sounds remarkably similar to Bad Company 2's autoshotty's with slugs + magnum ammo, turning them into insta-death semi-auto SMG's with a very large ammo capacity... Also: death to bunny hopping! This isn't Quake 3. They ought to put diminishing return cooldown on that. I know some other online FPS' have done the same.
    There is a very palpable slowdown effect when you're bunny hopping, but it only bites after the first three or four hops, so it's a bit weak. Also, it does nothing to the actual hopping height or anything. Variable jump heights for different classes could've been nice though. You cold have flitty little LAs or infiltrators hopping about, but the heavies and MAXes would be a bit less jumpy. Strange, but might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    It'd be nice if heavier weapons impacted both how high you could jump and how long it takes you to recover from the fall.
    This is actually a much better idea. Especially like the idea of recovery times increasing, maybe with weapon weight, and also (drastically!) with the frequency of jumps. Would give LAs especially a well needed boost over heavies, I'd say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't like buying weapons with certs, because I can't buy attachments with Station Cash, so I'd be of the opinion that no gun is really worth spending certs on. It depends on what you value your game time as though. I'll gladly pay a fiver for a weapon and then spend the 250 certs it'd cost, that probably at the rate I play and earn certs will take me 3+ hours to get the laser sight, 1x optics and then either the suppressor or advanced laser sight.
    I think the H-V45 is 500 SC?
    For that price you could get a 7 day +50% XP boost.
    You'd need to normally earn 500 Certs over the week to make that work.
    Certainly of late with the new vehicle XP and alerts AND ribbons, I'd have thought for most people that makes much better value. Obviously depends on circumstances and all.

Also, using a boost during the double XP-SC weekend was a very good call, I think.

Medics don't get many vehicle kills, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I think the H-V45 is 500 SC?
    For that price you could get a 7 day +50% XP boost.
    You'd need to normally earn 500 Certs over the week to make that work.
    Certainly of late with the new vehicle XP and alerts AND ribbons, I'd have thought for most people that makes much better value. Obviously depends on circumstances and all.

Also, using a boost during the double XP-SC weekend was a very good call, I think.
    I don't get to play every day of the week. I'm lucky to get three-fours hours on a Thursday night and maybe two on Friday. I've managed to get into one double XP weekends and it just happened to be complete luck on my part that my weekend had suddenly freed up.

Alerts and ribbons weren't around when I got my gun. While those will certainly help even now I'd probably still rather pay the SC and then make the gun better suited to my play style with the certs. As I said, you can't buy attachments with SC. I'll never get more than a days worth of ribbons, if I'm lucky and I'd rather they go on attachments for weapons or classes than on a weapon.

Like I said, it's a matter of what value you put on time. It'll take me about three weeks to get around 500 certs if I get great XP, use a boost and play more than I regularly can. It'll take me half an hour in work to make seven dollars.

*EDIT*
    What Eso said. I play a medic a lot and I rarely get into a vehicle unless we're doing a mag push and someone needs a gunner or there's a sundy that needs filling. I'm always on the ground reviving people (not everyone gives you xp, dunno if this is a bug or not) so they can get back in the fight. Kill an enemy ESF and you get what? 500-700xp? That's the same as me having to kill 7+ dudes or rez 5+ dudes and hope they all give me xp.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 08-04-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    If you do have money to spend on the game but not perhaps that much time (or you want to maximize said time) using certs for a weapon is bad regardless. I've played this game for over 300 hours and I still have certs to spend (have not bought a single weapon with certs).
    Find me on the Steams

Similar to what Jesus_Phish said I'd rather spend the certs elsewhere than on weapons. Not that any method is bad/good; it's all down to the individual. Playing exclusively as medic also means that even after 2-3 hours of play I've gotten maybe 40-60 cert points I just can't make myself save up 1000 for a decent weapon. Especially as a noob who still needs the certs to improve my class.

Maybe getting more cert points will improve as my skill and understanding of the game gets better though.

I would recommend some boosts now and then. They had a sale a while ago of the 7 day ones that did make it economical for me to buy them. And boosts on XP weekends if you can play them are amazingly good.

For your H-V45 though, I use it myself, I found the optic sight, advanced laser, suppressor and soft point ammo was all I need. A NV scope can be good for night ops or if you're running with a group using smoke grenades, but I find NV scopes to be a disadvantage during the day.

The advanced laser dot and crouching makes your COF so tight. I only use ADS now if I can get a clear head shot or the guy is at medium range, otherwise in CQB your hipfire will win you most fights.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't get to play every day of the week. I'm lucky to get three-fours hours on a Thursday night and maybe two on Friday. I've managed to get into one double XP weekends and it just happened to be complete luck on my part that my weekend had suddenly freed up.

Alerts and ribbons weren't around when I got my gun. While those will certainly help even now I'd probably still rather pay the SC and then make the gun better suited to my play style with the certs. As I said, you can't buy attachments with SC. I'll never get more than a days worth of ribbons, if I'm lucky and I'd rather they go on attachments for weapons or classes than on a weapon.

Like I said, it's a matter of what value you put on time. It'll take me about three weeks to get around 500 certs if I get great XP, use a boost and play more than I regularly can. It'll take me half an hour in work to make seven dollars.

As said, depends on situation. But even if you don't play that much, it always makes sense to think about what's offering the best value - and that's not always to just drop the SC on it. Equally, if you play for a small number of hours a week, then the boosts don't provide good value either (in fact, there's nothing that works that well for for the extreme cash rich/time poor in PS2. They should offer a very expensive >100% xp boost)

I'd also agree that in general, if you have the SC, it's best to use SC on the things that it can be, because for every new gun, you'll want to drop a couple of hundred of certs on it (or much, much more for vehicle weapons).
    The main point of my initial post is that it's always worth trialling things.

But there are some guns that it really doesn't make sense to spend the SC (Pulsar LSW, I think is like 300 SC or 125 certs...). Equally, some that you'd have to be really hard up to want to spend certs on (anything that's 1000 Cert/700 SC).

What Eso said. I play a medic a lot and I rarely get into a vehicle unless we're doing a mag push and someone needs a gunner or there's a sundy that needs filling. I'm always on the ground reviving people (not everyone gives you xp, dunno if this is a bug or not) so they can get back in the fight. Kill an enemy ESF and you get what? 500-700xp? That's the same as me having to kill 7+ dudes or rez 5+ dudes and hope they all give me xp.
    To get more vehicle kills: Drop the certs on getting AV mines for engineer and C4 for medic. Whenever we expect to get attacked somewhere, or are moving on to push the front, go engineer, drop 2 mines on likley approaches, go back to medic. Run up to the back of dozy tank drivers into built up areas, or flank sundies, then C4 them. Both these things are well worth the cost.

The revives that don't give XP are those that result from friendly fire or suicide. Also, kills give move base XP (100) than revives (75).

I play medic almost all the time too https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428011263379381457, although I do also love my Magrider (as recent unlocks show I guess)

I just can't make myself save up 1000 for a decent weapon.
    No, don't try and buy the 1000 cert guns with certs, that way true madness lies. Some guns cost twice or even more in SC than certs though, that's when the "best value" decision gets harder.
    Last edited by CMaster; 08-04-2013 at 11:20 AM.

I must be insane then, I bought the left Burster, Sirius SMG and MANA-AV with certs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I must be insane then, I bought the left Burster, Sirius SMG and MANA-AV with certs.
    Or you have too much time on your hands.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Meh. I've been playing nothing else since this was released, except for the occasional game of Dota 2.

I'm always on the ground reviving people (not everyone gives you xp, dunno if this is a bug or not) so they can get back in the fight.
    if a player takes a significant amount of friendly fire damage before going down, or is killed by a friendly, you'll get no XP for reviving. This is to stop kill/revive exploits.

Activated Node
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...l-test.112902/

Interesting post discussing the effects of weapon attachments.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    I'm happy not buying pump actions. They feel slow :/
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Obscure Node
    I've been considering getting a common pool shotgun for my medic. Post update, which is worth getting?

There is no "common pool" shotgun in the sense that they can be used cross-empire, but they are usable by all classes. I'd go for the Pandora, personally, having bought it recently, and comparing it to the Nove, which I've used for a long time. Pandora is the automatic shotty and it is terrifying in close quarters. Not quite as good at range as the Nova+slugs, but completely and utterly terrifying within 15-20 m.

Obscure Node
    Yeah, that's what I meant, I want something I can use across a couple of classes but it'll get more use on my medic than anything else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Take the shotgun that feels right for you. It may sound strange but for shotguns it does matter. If your a guy that loves to reload a lot of the time get the quick reload shotgun. You like to hold the trigger and keep the crosshair on your opponent get the auto. Love a bigger magazine get that one.

Personally I use the quick reload shotgun on my light assault and engineer. But then I over reload sometimes, so that one favours my playstyle.