Page 11 of 91 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by protorp View Post
    Massive, sheepish facepalm! This suddenly explains a LOT of my sniper rifle failings...
    That's exactly what I thought!

Amid the frenzy that was the defense of Camp Connery last night I bought the Lancer after briefly asking in squad chat whether it was worth it or not. That thing is a beast! Zero bullet drop, extremely high velocity and can be charged. It's been the single most useful weapon investment I've made since I started playing. Is the Lasher similarly worth the cost if you're playing Heavy?
    "Time is a companion, travelling with us on the journey of life, to remind us to cherish each moment as it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The lasher is much more situational and a lasher-user will loose most 1v1 fights if the enemy gets close. However if you have the high ground or a wall behind the enemy to hit it is a very useful weapon where you can hit everyone for low damage (1 hit does 200, and splash does 75). Especially good if you have 2-3 people working together with lashers as the damage output is good enough to deny entrance to a door or similar. It is also very effective against maxes as the shots counts as explosive and do full damage to a max.

So trial the lasher before using it, the Lancer is a much easier sell as it is bloody brilliant. I mean charlie must have killed 10+ sundies and tanks when we were flanking the NC assault on Connery.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Depends, lasher works for area denial, and if you are in a group where you won't be focusfired and killed instantly you'll get a lot of assists out of it. It's good fun to use though :-)

I love putting down suppression with the lasher. Too bad friendlies seem to be attracted to fiery laser disco balls of death.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Activated Node
    I'm currently pouring certs into my heavy assault and I wondered what people thought about AV and/or concussion grenades?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frengler View Post
    Amid the frenzy that was the defense of Camp Connery last night I bought the Lancer after briefly asking in squad chat whether it was worth it or not. That thing is a beast! Zero bullet drop, extremely high velocity and can be charged. It's been the single most useful weapon investment I've made since I started playing.
    You forget the most important aspect of it, I think, which is that is 100% accurate now. The shots will always go exactly where you point the reticle. There is no zoom on the optics though, which is a really odd design choice if this would've been real life, but an understandable limitation game-design-wise, probably.

The serious drawback of it is that it shows the enemy exactly where you are with a light show like nothing else in the game, excepting the Lasher, possibly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi View Post
    I'm currently pouring certs into my heavy assault and I wondered what people thought about AV and/or concussion grenades?
    Concussion grenades ar fricking awesome! So good. People are incredibly handicapped by concussion grenades, but they require a bit of coordination with the rest of your squad to work out really well. Toss one or two conc grenades, then storm in, and people won't stand a chance. Perfect for clearing out a cap point, SCU or gen room. Theydetonate on impact though, so beware.

Activated Node
    Unlocked the Solstice SF weapon yesterday, hoping to get some good granade launcher action.
    Didn't find it that usefull even on my Light Assault.. Even though I have no issue with hitting people dead on (and you have to in order to get a kill), I could've just shot the same guy regularly and had the same kill basically. It does save SOME ammo though. And it is fun to use!
    Allows me to use flashbangs aswell, which I like even though they don't get much use either..
    Anyone else had other experiences with the other barrel options? Shotgun/granade/smoke..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    The Lasher's hidden strength: it deals explosive, not bullet damage. MAXs have an intrinsic 80% resistance to small arms fire. Lasher is not small arms fire. MAX, meet Lasher. Lasher, melt MAX.

A few well positioned HAs with Lashers can have a field day even against NC MAXs. Situational, but oh so satisfying. And it shoots disco balls of plasma doom.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Smoke was pretty cool but I've heard it's become broken now. We had a group running once or twice where near everyone who could have smoke was using it and we all had NV scopes. Great fun. But as I said, apparently smoke is totally broken now, but someone else will have to confirm that for you.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sublett View Post
    Unlocked the Solstice SF weapon yesterday, hoping to get some good granade launcher action.
    Didn't find it that usefull even on my Light Assault.. Even though I have no issue with hitting people dead on (and you have to in order to get a kill), I could've just shot the same guy regularly and had the same kill basically. It does save SOME ammo though. And it is fun to use!
    Allows me to use flashbangs aswell, which I like even though they don't get much use either..
    Anyone else had other experiences with the other barrel options? Shotgun/granade/smoke..
    I find it a very situational weapon. Perhaps when I know beforehand where a enemy sundy is, as an LA, place two C4, and then a grenade from the UBGL and it blows up (two C4 bring it down to a sliver of hp, but they can and usually still repair it back). Or as an Engineer set down the mines and detonate them with the UBGL, although I find it faster to do that with a grenade (no delay switching weapons from 5 to 2, just hit G).

I use the SF on my suicide mine runs. Pop down smoke and run in before they know what's what. It's also my medium range carbine because I'm too cheap to get a proper one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Concussion grenades are crippling to get hit by, and are the only grenade that's much use against a Max.
    Lashers are good when there's a few of them, in certain situations.

We need Lashers on Maxes and certain vehicles though, that bit of extra survivability would make for a much better suppression platform.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    I don't think a suppressed bolt action rifle is worth it for engagements beyond a range of 150m. It's not so much the severe bullet drop, but the dramatic reduction in projectile velocity: until the shot connects, they have too much time to start moving to a completely different direction. It has its uses though: if you can find a good spot behind or in the sides of a enemy sunderer, you can go to town, as the saying goes.
    I'm experimenting right now with a medium-range sniper infiltrator, I've got the Ghost bolt action which comes with iron sights and have put the suppressor and the 2x reflex sight on it. The ghost isn't really a good sniper rifle, both the xm98, v10 and parallax are far superior. However it does have a decent reload time and will still one shot kill on a headshot, and with a reflex sight you have more situational awareness. Results are mixed so far, but I will give it a few more tries before i decide if it can be an effective build or not.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    I find it a very situational weapon. Perhaps when I know beforehand where a enemy sundy is, as an LA, place two C4, and then a grenade from the UBGL and it blows up (two C4 bring it down to a sliver of hp, but they can and usually still repair it back).
    I think I'm going to have to purchase the SF and UBGL for my LA as I'm sick of double C4-ing Sundys only for them to survive. I'm sure that didn't use to be the case?

Another plus for the Lancer is that if you single shot (rather than charge) at ESF's and Libs its pretty effective at scaring them away. The velocity and lack of drop make for a pretty effective AA launcher if they're relatively close by.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sublett View Post
    The beauty of the UBGL is that, as you say, it's a one-hit kill. Once you've learnt the arc on it, you can snap-shot people out to 30-40m. Coupled with an ammo pack, it's devastating.

Then again, my k/d has only just broken ~1

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5...19084497/stats

so it might not be as good as I think it is.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    The beauty of the UBGL is that, as you say, it's a one-hit kill. Once you've learnt the arc on it, you can snap-shot people out to 30-40m. Coupled with an ammo pack, it's devastating.

Then again, my k/d has only just broken ~1

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5...19084497/stats

so it might not be as good as I think it is.
    It's good for cheesy kills in biolabs. When people are lumped up, you can just blind fire and hope for a kill or two. My current engy loadouts are the pulsar C as default (because it's so damn accurate, really good for mid range), and shotgun/vx for cqc. Sometimes i feel to urge to put slugs in my nova though.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi View Post
    AV grenades are awesome against maxes; see discussion above of explosive damage from the lasher for the reason why. They also seem to be pretty rarely used, I get the impression that people in max suits are used to being able to soak up more peripheral grenade damage and thus don't take as much care. Have had a couple of mad occasions one shotting a whole cluster of maxes in bio labs.

Following on from this, my most recent loadout tweak was for a max-hunting heavy, rocking lasher, decimator and AV grenades. It's a dangerous game, but it has all the tools to turn the table on maxes completely; it's very fun to once in a while pursue them rather than run away from them!

(I've not yet experimented at all with AV grenades vs. vehicles; have read somewhere that they're a bit rubbish due to not exploding on impact.)

Network Hub
    Solstice SF owners: don't forget that a direct hit with a smoke grenade will also kill infantry.