Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's no damage penalty at any range for the certed ammo - in terms of pure damage they're both "better" than basic ammo.
    But bullet velocity and recoil can both make a big difference.

Different bullet types on the Solstice SF

Network Hub
    I use Soft Point on an H-V45 myself. I'll be honest, the TTK is so low in PS2 that I haven't noticed a difference. I'm sure there is some, it's just not dramatic. I might win or lose a fight because I switched to a different ammo, but that's the whole point. It's a sidegrade and I like it that way. In theory you'll be better off medium range than a guy without softpoint, but it'll probably come down to one bullet of difference. Your aim and understanding of how your weapon fire pattern works is way more important.

Consider saving your certs for a rail attachment, more C4, a Medkit, a cheap weapon, or something fun that you will notice when you play. You'll feel that you've accomplished something. Here's a link to a discussion of HV and SP. http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...elocity.52502/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The graph is interesting, since it shows that both ammo types deal increased damage beyond 10m. Might try HV on my Flare in VR, see how bad the extra kick is, since I basically just use it at long range anyway. Otherwise yeah, probably won't bother with SP, already have shotguns for strictly close-range setups, and if nothing else the certs could be better saved for a shiny new NS pistol!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Think HV gives increased recoil. SP lower damage at range.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Those new hand cannons.... I have to buy one
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Think HV gives increased recoil. SP lower damage at range.
    Correct on the first, popular misconception the second, propagated by and through the official forums.

HVA increases muzzle velocity AND damage at the edge of the damage drop off range, at the cost of increased vertical recoil. That means that the user has to move the mouse a bit more vertically, to compensate for the recoil.

SPA extends the maximum damage to 15m, after which damage drop off kicks in, at the cost of reduced muzzle velocity, That means the user has to move the mouse a bit more horizontally, to lead the target a bit more.

Effectively, both increase damage.

On a tangent, SPA and HVA make the SF weapons (Solstice SF, Equinox SF) viable, besides their underbarrel attachments.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 24-04-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    On a tangent, SPA and HVA make the SF weapons (Solstice SF, Equinox SF) viable, besides their underbarrel attachments.
    Does anyone here use the Solstice SF?

I've got a little bit of SC left and have been thinking about getting it. The multiple fire modes sound good, and I do enjoy a good grenade launcher...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfieV View Post
    Does anyone here use the Solstice SF?

I've got a little bit of SC left and have been thinking about getting it. The multiple fire modes sound good, and I do enjoy a good grenade launcher...
    If you're an Engineer, it's a great weapon, as ammo packs will provide you with an infinite supply of grenades.

If you're an LA, the Pulsar C, VX6-7 and Serpent are all far superior choices.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I love my solstice SF. Only thing to add is consider purchasing it with Certs - it's quite good value.

Smoke grenades. That is why you should consider the Solstice SF, in my opinion. Smoke can fuck some enemies up really good, especially MAXes, who can't see shit through smoke, because they can't get night vision optics (nor any other kind of optics at all, for that matter) on their weapons. Just remember that all underbarrel grenades will only explode at around 10m minimum range.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Smoke + conc = a lot of dead maxes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    If you're an Engineer, it's a great weapon, as ammo packs will provide you with an infinite supply of grenades.

If you're an LA, the Pulsar C, VX6-7 and Serpent are all far superior choices.
    True, although, when Sundy hunting, a Solstice SF with UBGL and SPA is a useful tool for an LA: 2 C4 to get the sundy into the red, and a grenate from the UBGL to finish it off.

Serpent though is the superior choice IMHO

Serpent vs VX6-7 at 10m, Hip-fire, Full auto
    Serpent-Hip-10m.jpgVX6-7-Hip-10m.jpg

Serpent vs VX6-7 at 30m, ADS, Full auto
    Serpent-ADS-30m.jpgVX6-7-ADS-30m.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Tried out HVA on the Flare in VR and any extra recoil felt absolutely negligible. Not sure if this is cos the Flare kicks harder than an angry toddler as it is, making the extra little from HVA barely noticeable. Anyway, seems like it should be good, with no great drawback.

In other news, accidently bought a suppressor for the HV45 rather than the flash suppressor I intended to get. Does anyone prefer the suppressor for general use? It's effect seems much greater, completely hiding your position, but reduced damage+velocity sounds like it will suck outside of sneaking around in buildings.

Has it got reduced damage? I run with suppressor almost all the time, and really like it. But if it also lowers damage, that might explain some part of my difficulty of winning duels.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, reduced damage at range and reduced velocity if I remember correctly. In comparison, the flash suppressor only suppresses the flash, but only decreases accuracy a bit.

Close up tho the suppressor shouldn't cause you any problems, hence it seems ideal for sneaking around with an SMG on an infiltrator or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    Score. I usually roll Engi, so that will come in very handy.

Smoke sounds like a decent investment as well. Popping some down to cover a "Laldy Charge"TM onto a point could be rather good fun...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfieV View Post
    Smoke sounds like a decent investment as well.
    Popping it all over an enemy sundy that people are trying to mine/C4 is also great. Hitting an enemy with one is also a one-hit kill I think D:

Lesser Hivemind Node
    As far as i know, the suppressor's only disadvantage is the reduced muzzle velocity. It means that you'll have to lead more on ranged shots. Other factions also get increased drop.

So ... yeah, a suppressor is good on anything that's intended for close range fighting.

That's what I would've thought. Good players will use the fact that you show up on their minimap when you're firing against you, so suppressors are very good for Light Assaults, Infiltrators, and close quarters heavies, unless you're going for a shotgun.

for this reason ive bought a decoy grenade ror the inf. would like to see how it effects players, if they could be lured away from satellites and scus.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."