Page 18 of 85 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Oh, my, that GD-7F recoil increase! I could barely control the recoil on it beyond close range due to its insane rate of fire, no idea how bad this is going to be now.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    OK, my brain is probably stuck in stupid mode (which happens with increasing frequency - "οὐ γάρ ἔρχεται μόνον", old age doesn't come alone, as my ancestors used to say), but settling to less recoil is better, or have I misunderstood the mechanics? Perhaps I'm influenced by the stated intentions of the devs about these changes, which is to make long range weapons more distinctive and effective in their role.
    Recoil settling is referred to as "recoil decrease" in the weapon data spreadsheets which is a better way of phrasing it. The data sheets also state that "recoil decrease is the amount of recoil countered per second" - ie. a lower figure is worse. You can basically snipe at long ranges with the SAW due to its perfect first shot accuracy, and along with them fixing what appeared to be a bug with foregrip affecting vertical recoil on LMGs this is a bit of a blow to SAW users.

Edit: clarifying stuffs.

Network Hub
    Curious to know if anyone has made use of drifter jump jets rather than the regular ones on their LA?

I was playing around with them in VT, they're a bit odd... almost feel like an unfinished concept in the way they just boost you dead straight forward at running speed. New angles of attack could be opened up, if only through being very unexpected (I don't recall ever seeing any enemies using them either), but that flat straight trajectory feels like it'd be even easier to anticipate and spray bullets at than a regular LA spotted early in their trajectory.

What would be cool would be if they were tweaked to boost at, say, sprint and a half speed. Make them into a tool for charging at / from the enemy...

(Not weapon per se, but posted here cos to the best of my knowledge we don't have a non-weapon equipment thread and I thought best not to start one!)

Yeah, never tried it as I dislike the light assault. Its like the scout in TF games, the only thing hes got going is speed. (and C4)
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    The main benefit of the LA is that no one in this game looks up. ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    The main benefit of the LA is that no one in this game looks up. ever.
    Off-topic, but that's actually true for any game. I remember in the Portal commentary, they said they added visual cues to force people to look up. So up is always a good position to be in any competitive FPS.

actually, because I know thats what LAs do, thats what I do everytime Im checking for enemies.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

So I started kitting out my heavy. Never play heavy, but I got Lancer, SVA, resist shield and flak armor for him now. Pretty nice so far.

Activated Node
    I read somewhere the resist shield and flak armour didn't stack. Does anyone know if that's right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I have tried the drifter jump jets a little bit, and I vastly prefer the regular ones. The drifter can be sort of useful for jumping off cliffs/towers and go quite a distance. Problem is the vertical jump jets are almost just as good at that with some juggling, and much better/more versatile at almost any other situation you can think off. They need to give the drifters a serious tweak for them to be worth it IMHO (and they might have, there's been a good while since I tried them last after all).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by protorp View Post
    Curious to know if anyone has made use of drifter jump jets rather than the regular ones on their LA?

I was playing around with them in VT, they're a bit odd... almost feel like an unfinished concept in the way they just boost you dead straight forward at running speed. New angles of attack could be opened up, if only through being very unexpected (I don't recall ever seeing any enemies using them either), but that flat straight trajectory feels like it'd be even easier to anticipate and spray bullets at than a regular LA spotted early in their trajectory.

What would be cool would be if they were tweaked to boost at, say, sprint and a half speed. Make them into a tool for charging at / from the enemy...

(Not weapon per se, but posted here cos to the best of my knowledge we don't have a non-weapon equipment thread and I thought best not to start one!)
    Should make them work like in Tribes, slide along terrain and gain speed and use terrain to "jump". Could be bloody useful that way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Tribes (Ascend) has the hands-down best feeling of speed and momentum that I've seen in any FPS. Love it!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    So I started kitting out my heavy. Never play heavy, but I got Lancer, SVA, resist shield and flak armor for him now. Pretty nice so far.
    Hope you enjoy it, it is a sweet setup. I used to never play HA, but after switching to the same setup it's become my favourite class. Resist is great, it is just a different style, you switch it on before you encounter trouble, or you suspect you may, as in entering a room or turning a corner.

Save for concussion grenades, and depending on playstyle, Nanoweave Armour 3-4 (level 3 can survive one shot from a Pump Action Shotgun, level 4 proximity mines if you are not dead on). Concussion Grenades especially. Today, with Laldy as PL, we were defending Eisa, even after being cut off, for at least two hours. At one point, a squad of NC cap the Western Satellite, and guarding the cap point. We move in, Qazz throws a Concussion, and in a blink of the eye they were mowed down.

On a tangent, I have come to really appreciate the SVA-88 as the paragon of what VS small arms should be: not the highest RoF, not the highest damage per bullet, not the best recoil, but it somehow works smoothly. Compensator and Forward Grip really transform the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi View Post
    I read somewhere the resist shield and flak armour didn't stack. Does anyone know if that's right?
    Resist is beautiful because it stacks both with Nanoweave and Flak, so it is a question of playstyle and situation.

Network Hub
    Shields haven't stacked with Flak since a patch or two ago. That's when I stopped advocating it in favour of Grenade Bandoleer (coincidentally the same time I learned to flick my shield on .every.time. I round a corner)

RE: Nanoweave, here's a chart of # of bullets to kill. Top row is the bullet's base damage. Almost every carbine and LMG is 143 or 167.

Last edited by cfftble; 09-05-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Nanoweave is worth it with resist.

The added % resist provides stacks with nanoweave given some absurd bonus once you get both around level 3+

Edit: Just saw cfftable's post. Things have changed a lot since I last checked...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    For me personally resist shield is better, when I know that there is a pump shotgun in the tower.

Also with recent tank buff, I do believe munition pouch for heavy is viable again to use.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    RE: Nanoweave, here's a chart of # of bullets to kill. Top row is the bullet's base damage. Almost every carbine and LMG is 143 or 167.
    This is only true at close range though, where weapons deal their maximum damage, and does not account for shotguns, with their multiple low-damage pellets and their spread. I hold that bullets-to-kill is a rather pointless metric, but your mileage may vary, I suppose. The effective health column however, is very informative!

note: flak properly works against mines. I always survive a mine when I step on one with level 3 or 4 flak armour on my engi
    - Tom De Roeck.

I like it. Bullets to kill accurately describes the difference between a 143 damage weapon and a 125 damage one. It looks like a lot, but it's only 1 bullet.

It also gives you a quite solid idea of how many people you can drop with the bullets you have. If it takes at least 8 bullets to drop someone with my SMG and I have 50, I can probably take on 5 without reloading.

I never bother getting great twitch or aim skills because I find support roles so much better and fun to play. so for whatever enemy it is: do I need one clip or two?
    - Tom De Roeck.

Yeah, I should probably clarify that I don't like the metric "bullets to kill" when choosing between armour upgrades for myself. Also, I'm not unlike QuantaCat, I think, when it comes to approach to the game. Though I've been enjoying playing heavy a lot lately.