Page 52 of 89 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1761
    damn you work youtube filter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    On a tangent, watch this from Wrel, and realise that aggressive play is the only safe play:

And more appropriately to this thread, again by Wrel, recoil compensation:

First of all, the Underboss is on sale today, and it's a great sidearm. If you caught in a duel and you've just emptied your magazine, one or two shots and Bob's your uncle (forgive the colloquialism!)

Secondly, just got Auraxium for the Flare (after the SVA-88 and the Ursa). Which one to get next? Pulsar LSW, Orion, Polaris, or just give up and stick to the ones I'm already using? The SVA-88 is, well, the SVA-88, arguably the best performing LMG in the game (although I consider the NC EM6 the best LMG in the game). The Ursa and the Flare are surprisingly good though. Especially with extended magazines, they seem to fit my playstyle: look for a good flanking position, and mow them down. 167 damage per round and the relative slow rate of fire means easy to control weapons with accurate fire, and the large magazines allow to suppress and mow down scores of enemies. Also, because of their lower RoF and DPS they feel more rewarding, especially the Ursa, although the Flare seems to be a more well-rounded weapon (slightly higher RoF and DPS, and access to SPA).

My setup is Reflex x1, Extended Magazines (never get caught reloading with 150 rounds per magazine!), Flash Suppressor (that for during the night, when muzzle flash actually blinds you - I find NV and its delay to be a tactical liability on such low firing weapons). For the Ursa I sometimes use a longer range setup, with HVA, Compensator and Forward Grip, since it has low-ish reload times and really low recoil to be actually good at long range. The Flare is a mid-range weapon, which can also dabble in CQC with some trigger discipline (and Resist Shield and NW5 are kind of forgiving, anyway).

So, which one next? Polaris, which also has a big magazine (100 rounds per magazine) and slow rate of fire to keep playing the flanking HA? LSW, as it is more of an all rounder and will allow me to be more effective in CQC? Or Orion, a beast up close, and perhaps a welcome change of tactical pace? Or face the fact that Pulsar LSW and Polaris are probably crap, and keep using what I am using now? Users of any of these three, your input?

I can't help you with your choices, because I know nothing about the weapons of this game, but what's the point of going for Auraxium for inferior weapons ? If the weapon is inferior, you're gonna get less kills than with others weapons, so the 200 certs bonus will not be worth the loss of fights and kills you had before. Maybe it's only for the challenge, but in that case, well pick a weapon at random and Auraxium it

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Auraxiumed the orion and lsw. LSW is pretty much like the SVA88, just ever so slightly worse. Not a bad weapon. The orion is quite interesting because it's so different. If you don't have the medal for it yet, try it out. It's pretty much the most bad-ass SMG in the game, and if you account for that when playing, you can be ridiculously successful up close.

Polaris could be interesting, but it'd be more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    I can't help you with your choices, because I know nothing about the weapons of this game, but what's the point of going for Auraxium for inferior weapons ? If the weapon is inferior, you're gonna get less kills than with others weapons, so the 200 certs bonus will not be worth the loss of fights and kills you had before. Maybe it's only for the challenge, but in that case, well pick a weapon at random and Auraxium it
    It's mostly for the change of tactical approach that each weapon requires. The SVA-88 is a great all-rounder, really shines for spear-heading pushes, but also for flanking maneuvers, laying support fire, etc. The Ursa and the Flare are especially great when flanking, especially when managing to get to a good enfilading position at about 20-50m from the enemies: accuracy and large magazines mean that you can lay down some serious fire. The Flare and the SVA-88 are also good in bases which alternate between big stretches and tight rooms, like amp stations and tech plants, some Esamir and Amerish bases, etc.

I feel that the Orion may suit the "first through the door" style of HA best, especially in towers. Short of like getting a shotgun, but without having to rely on others to cover you until you reach the tower. The Polaris seems more suited for suppression and flanking. The LSW is also an all-rounder, but in every situation slightly worse than the SVA-88 (the current state of the LSW is strange). The Ursa and the Flare seem to be in a similar point, but actually they are not: the Ursa is the superior mid to long range weapon, and the Flare CQC to medium, their roles are close but still distinct.

I guess that also the restrictions imposed by each weapon help me appreciate some aspect of the tactical flow of the game a bit more, and I enjoy this exploration.

I see, thank you for the answer

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    LSW is pretty much like the SVA88, just ever so slightly worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    The LSW is also an all-rounder, but in every situation slightly worse than the SVA-88 (the current state of the LSW is strange)
    I wrote that without having read your post first. We have consensus: LSW is "slightly worse"!

What was your setup with the Orion? I've been experimenting with Reflex x1, Forward Grip and Flash Suppressor, and it seems to be really controllable and accurate (Flash Suppressor for night-time, NV's delay is a liability often).
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 30-09-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    So, which one next? Polaris, which also has a big magazine (100 rounds per magazine) and slow rate of fire to keep playing the flanking HA? LSW, as it is more of an all rounder and will allow me to be more effective in CQC? Or Orion, a beast up close, and perhaps a welcome change of tactical pace? Or face the fact that Pulsar LSW and Polaris are probably crap, and keep using what I am using now? Users of any of these three, your input?
    I have auraxium for the Orion and the Ursa. The Ursa is my favourite, which I prefer using with laser, iron sights and a suppressor.

I suggest you go for the Orion next, it's quite different and not much of an LMG at all, more of an SMG, like Qazz writes, only better in every aspect - an upgraded Eridani. I used it with a forward grip, but I suppose it would benefit from a laser just as well.

The Polaris is a reasonably effective weapon, netting more kills than the Flare and the Ursa, but not as many as the SVA-88. My understanding is that it is a 100 round magasine hipfire weapon, so laser would be the preferred attachment.

If you have the jack-of-all-trades NS15M, you could go for auraxium on that one. Since it trades dps for more controllable recoil, it might suit your preferences. I find it to be a headshot-machine at medium range, but quite plain outside of that niche.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I used to have the foregrip + irnv loadout and then switched to laser + reflex. both are viable, but the laser makes the orion REALLY deadly at sub-10m ranges, as in ... i prefer it over shotguns. The foregrip is almost as good but you'll retain great control in medium ranges too. So ... your choice!

P.S.: I'm actually using a suppressor for cqc loadouts. Not showing on the minimap is great when you're breaching a tower or are trying to ambush people at close range. Makes me wonder though, what's the advantage of using a flash suppressor? I never really researched the benefits there, lol.
    Last edited by qaz; 30-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    a quick question for the sundy weapons:

Walker VS Ranger?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post

Walker VS Ranger?
    Walker.

Ranger has hilariously low damage and projective speed. Rather desperately in need of a buff of some form that one.

Neither are exactly outstanding, both can protect you against an amateur lolpodder. But only the Walker has much chance of actually netting kills, or doing anything to a Lib. (Although sometimes the flak off the ranger can scare off inexperienced pilots).

Walker VS Ranger?
    My opinion would be Basilisks.

Sundy are either :
    - Deployed, and in that case protected by friendly units which should cover the air for you
    - On the move, and in that case, the greatest threat is ground vehicles, not planes.

My sundys get blown up more by carelessness or ground vehicles than a threat for above that I could have dealt with Walker. And for mobile AA, I'm pretty sure a Skyguard is better (and cheaper) than a dual Walker sundy.

Dual basilisks are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    Makes me wonder though, what's the advantage of using a flash suppressor? I never really researched the benefits there, lol.
    Night time, so that the muzzle flash doesn't blind you when using a Reflex sight over NV. And I prefer Reflex even at night. I can switch from hip to ADS faster.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I am rusty as all hell but yesterday it seemed like my old loadouts of Orion + Deci for close range and SVA88 + Lancer for long range still worked well. Never did like the Flare and others much as I play much too aggressive for that recoil to work for me.

Always foregrip, 1x or 2x, NV if it's night.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    My opinion would be Basilisks.

Sundy are either :
    - Deployed, and in that case protected by friendly units which should cover the air for you
    - On the move, and in that case, the greatest threat is ground vehicles, not planes.

My sundys get blown up more by carelessness or ground vehicles than a threat for above that I could have dealt with Walker. And for mobile AA, I'm pretty sure a Skyguard is better (and cheaper) than a dual Walker sundy.

Dual basilisks are awesome.
    I agree that the basilisk is more versatile, but as NC air is a much bigger problem then ground vehicles (maybe with the exeption of vulcan harrassers). Might be due to the bigger amount of dedicated vanguard drivers compared to dedicated pilots.

So for the basic idea of anti air, the walker is the better option? As all information I found is outdated due to the changes to both weapons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I agree, basilisks are my weapon of choice (though I still cba to change my default setup from bulldogs). They're remarkably good against armour.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I agree that the basilisk is more versatile, but as NC air is a much bigger problem then ground vehicles (maybe with the exeption of vulcan harrassers). Might be due to the bigger amount of dedicated vanguard drivers compared to dedicated pilots.

So for the basic idea of anti air, the walker is the better option? As all information I found is outdated due to the changes to both weapons.
    I wasn't aware that they had been changed. If so, nothing has stopped the Ranger being largely ineffective.

I have the ranger (possibly biggest waste of SC for me), but run it less and less. It's rare to lose a sundie primarily to air, compared to infantry rushes or a tank pulling up next to it. Every time I see a sundie without at least one basilisk, I cringe, because you are just asking to lose it to a Lightning that way.

I have on Basilisk and one Kobalt (the .50cal) for infantry and ESFs. Cheap and effective.