Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    did anyone else see the max weapon preview? not liking the direction it's going in at all.
    No, I did not. Post a link for us? Edit: scratch that. Ride did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Bought the Manticore, it's shit. The Beamer is allright I guess, but I much prefer the TR and NC starter weapons.
    I disagree. I use the Manticore as a sidearm and find it works perfectly well for what I will assume is its intended purpose; a fallback when you run out of ammo in your main weapon. If that main weapon is anything other than a LMG and I run out of ammo in the clip, whipping out the Manticore has saved my life many times.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 07-04-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    did anyone else see the max weapon preview? not liking the direction it's going in at all.
    Starts at 2.16: http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/c/2117864

Don't think they're showing that much, I would prefer that they just fix the goddamn Vanu weapons we have now..
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Bought the Manticore, it's shit. The Beamer is allright I guess, but I much prefer the TR and NC starter weapons.
    Manticore is same as Mag...
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I do like the sound of the magnum-stylee NS pistol, might finally provide a secondary weapon I actually want to switch to.

I sometimes use it when I carry a shotgun, because I always have a silencer on my Manticore. Then I won't give away my position but can still manage to take down a single opponent, for instance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    The Manticore is a straight up upgrade compared to the Beamer. Considering that the most frequent scenario of using your sidearm is when you empty your magazine and don't have time to reload, you only need a couple of bullets to finish off the opponent. The higher damage per bullet is the most important trait in such a scenario.

On another topic, I've bought the Serpent. I've finally gotten Auraxium medal for the VX6-7, so decided to make the switch. The Serpent is a beast! The higher RoF is really apparent, the weapon with Advanced Laser on is still excellent at hipfiring, but it feels so much more accurate than the VX6-7 when ADSing (lower first shot recoil multiplier than the VX6-7). Also it has great sound, which provides better feedback and improves the overall feel of the weapon. The slower reload speed doesn't seem so much of an issue as it appears on paper.

Also I actually find the odd recoil pattern easy to compensate for and in fact helpful in real combat situations (it is the only Vanu weapon that pulls to the left, compared to the others which have either balanced recoil or pull to the right). Since, when confronting an opponent, he will usually start strafing to his right (your left), the weapon follows him naturally. When he sidesteps back to his left, your mouse compensation will again make your aim more comfortably follow him.

My only hesitation was the bullet speed, which is the lowest among the carbines, but it is still higher than the SMGs. In practice though the higher RoF, compared to all other infantry weapons in-game, more than makes up for it. Overall, IMHO it is the most fun out of all the VS carbines I've used so far, and I've used most of them (also VX6-7, Solstice VE3 and Solstice SF). My setup is Adv Laser, NV scope, SPA and either Suppressor or Flash Suppressor (always Suppressor for the LA, for the Engineer depends on the situation, with Flash Suppressor as the default).

So, my favourite weapons per category:
    -Assault Rifle: Hydra H-V45 (also own default Pulsar VS1 and Corvus VA55)
    -LMG: SVA-88 (also own default Orion VS54 and Pulsar LSW)
    -Carbine: Serpent VE92 (also own default Solstice VE3, plus VX6-7 and Solstice SF)
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 08-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Seems to be too much anti infantry crap, the maxes should get more specific weaponry. Give them specific anti max weapons etc. I would also love the Max getting a mortar type weapon so you can provide indirect fire outside, obviously the mortar weapon would need to have a fairly long "minimum" range so they are not usable indoors. The grenadelaunchers they showed just looked spammy as hell but they were not done by any means so hopefully they will increase the range and reduce the RoF.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Some thoughts on the shotgun nerfs and how it's effected the Nova (the one Shotgun I own)

Adding the refire time has put up the TTK with buckshot quite a bit at close range, although no big effect at medium to long (and seeing as slugs demand much more controlled firing anyway, probably doesn't matter to them).

The reason for this is that the nova is only a 0HK at near point blank headshot. Anything more demands 2-3 shots. It used to be the case that a triple tap on the mouse button would get you all those hits near-instantaneously. However now, the delay between first and second hit is enough to allow an alert target time to shoot back. If they have a pump-action, that delay often means death. With other guns, it simply means you take a lot more damage, and room clearing solo is harder.

Might be time for me to buy the Phobos I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Phobos or Pandora. Pandora is more versatile imo, Phobos is pretty much LA only.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Some thoughts on the shotgun nerfs and how it's effected the Nova (the one Shotgun I own)

Adding the refire time has put up the TTK with buckshot quite a bit at close range, although no big effect at medium to long (and seeing as slugs demand much more controlled firing anyway, probably doesn't matter to them).

The reason for this is that the nova is only a 0HK at near point blank headshot. Anything more demands 2-3 shots. It used to be the case that a triple tap on the mouse button would get you all those hits near-instantaneously. However now, the delay between first and second hit is enough to allow an alert target time to shoot back. If they have a pump-action, that delay often means death. With other guns, it simply means you take a lot more damage, and room clearing solo is harder.

Might be time for me to buy the Phobos I think.
    The Phobos is even more punishing (yet rewarding, if you successfully pull it off) now.

Pandora is the "I win" mouse click. Sure, you'll run out of ammo, but who really cares, or even lives long enough for that to matter? Even if they bunny hop and strafe like crazy, some of the shots will get them, and even with the reduced RoF, you will kill them before they do. Especially as a HA with Resist or Adrenaline Shied, you can clear a tower floor single-handed.

I have the Nova, the Phobos and the Pandora, and the latter is just plain broken, and no amount of "balancing" is going to fix the automatic shotguns. The Nova rewards good aim, the Phobos a high risk-high reward approach, where you must plan each encounter. The Pandora is just aim at the general direction of the enemy and keep the mouse button pressed.

My suggestion? Remove them completely from the game and reimburse those that bought them.

And these are my impressions having bought the Pandora AFTER the nerf.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 08-04-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Hehe. I too think the pump-action, and the autoshotguns are fundamentally broken, and that the game would be better without them.

Then again, I don't own either one.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Hehe. I too think the pump-action, and the autoshotguns are fundamentally broken, and that the game would be better without them.

Then again, I don't own either one.
    To clarify, I meant automatic shotguns. I think that the pump shotguns are actually a good feature. Yes, when on the receiving end, they seem overpowered, but when using one, you realise how much exposed you are between each shot, and especially when reloading. You have to plan the approach, and always have an escape route and a fallback point.

On the other hand, the automatic shotgun is ridiculous. Just keep the mouse button pressed until they fall, which usually is insanely fast. Especially after fixing some bugs with slugs, it is actually a great option even for close mid-range. I don't know, perhaps increase the reload speed even further?
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 08-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    I do like the sound of the magnum-stylee NS pistol, might finally provide a secondary weapon I actually want to switch to.
    The size of the thing is ridiculous though. As if they are compensating for something...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Increase reload speed and weight on autos to make it take longer to switch to a side arm.

The problem I have with autos is like others have said, you can easily clear a tower out. I've seen it happen about three times yesterday that a guy with an auto shotgun will bunny hop into a capture point in a tower, kill everyone while jumping around just blind firing, then bunny hoping out and retreating to reloading.

I've no issue with shotguns being OHK in point blank range, but they're too unskilled at the moment and leading to terrible play. No more bunny hopping!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Spend some RL monah so I could get a few more weapons. Playing exclusively as a medic I got myself a H-V45 and the NS-11A which I've heard good things about. Looking forward to trying them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Increase reload speed and weight on autos to make it take longer to switch to a side arm.

The problem I have with autos is like others have said, you can easily clear a tower out. I've seen it happen about three times yesterday that a guy with an auto shotgun will bunny hop into a capture point in a tower, kill everyone while jumping around just blind firing, then bunny hoping out and retreating to reloading.

I've no issue with shotguns being OHK in point blank range, but they're too unskilled at the moment and leading to terrible play. No more bunny hopping!
    Sounds remarkably similar to Bad Company 2's autoshotty's with slugs + magnum ammo, turning them into insta-death semi-auto SMG's with a very large ammo capacity... Also: death to bunny hopping! This isn't Quake 3. They ought to put diminishing return cooldown on that. I know some other online FPS' have done the same.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It'd be nice if heavier weapons impacted both how high you could jump and how long it takes you to recover from the fall.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Frengler View Post
    Spend some RL monah so I could get a few more weapons. Playing exclusively as a medic I got myself a H-V45 and the NS-11A which I've heard good things about. Looking forward to trying them out.
    In future, you'd be advised to try things out before buying them (you can use VR, and also get a 30 minute trial of each weapon (one trial per 24 hours, no retrials within a month) in the "real world" of the game. NS-11 is very much an opinion splitter. Also, the H-V45 is one of several weapons that it pays to read the fine print on the cost of - it costs less in certs than in station cash, making using real money less than optimal way of aquring.

Hope you have fun with them though!

Quote Originally Posted by Frengler View Post
    Sounds remarkably similar to Bad Company 2's autoshotty's with slugs + magnum ammo, turning them into insta-death semi-auto SMG's with a very large ammo capacity... Also: death to bunny hopping! This isn't Quake 3. They ought to put diminishing return cooldown on that. I know some other online FPS' have done the same.
    That wasn't nearly as BS as an F2000 or M416 with under barrel shotgun, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    In future, you'd be advised to try things out before buying them (you can use VR, and also get a 30 minute trial of each weapon (one trial per 24 hours, no retrials within a month) in the "real world" of the game. NS-11 is very much an opinion splitter. Also, the H-V45 is one of several weapons that it pays to read the fine print on the cost of - it costs less in certs than in station cash, making using real money less than optimal way of aquring.

Hope you have fun with them though!
    Oh, I did not know this... Go noob me but thanks for the heads up Considering that I've spent some 10 hours in this so far free game and have had a blast I don't mind shelling out some money. Playing with you RPS folks has been great though most of my time is spent feeling confused at the unknown terms people fling around. I would be more vocal but it can be hard to get a word in edgewise and most of the time I'm too confuzzled to know what to say.