Strange Borderlands 2 problem

First of all, I'm not sure whether this is the correct place in the forums to post this thread (one could argue it would be better placed in the Tech Zone subforum). Apologies if its the wrong place.

As some of you may know, I recently started on a solo playthrough of Borderlands 2. Previously, I had only played the game on another pc at a friends place. I had to tweak the settings a bit to get a comfortable framerate on my aging pc at home, but the game runs fine now.
    Only thing is, I've encountered what seems to be a fatal bug. I like to play with scoped weapons, so I took the first opportunity to get myself a sniper rifle. Sometimes when I try to use the scope, the game freezes completely. This could happen as soon as I press the right mouse button to bring the rifle to my eye, or it could happen during the animation. The music keeps running in the background, but no matter how long I wait, the game never unfreezes.
    Somewhere on the internet I read that using compatibility mode to run the game like it's running under windows NT could solve the problem. I tried that last night, and I was able to play for an hour without freezes (I went to bed after that, so maybe another freeze was right around the corner).

Did anyone here encounter the same problem? If so, were you able to solve it? Thanks a lot for any advice.

I'm not sure which is weirder, the bug or the fix (if it works)? Windows NT, wtf?

(Sorry, can't help you. My BL2 solo playthrough has been going all right.)

Are you below the minimum specs of the game? To my amateur ear that sounds like it could have something to do with the quick switch of LoD.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Are you below the minimum specs of the game? To my amateur ear that sounds like it could have something to do with the quick switch of LoD.
    That's what I thought at first too. My pc meets all the minimum specs, some components meet them by a margin. After tweaking I'm getting around or over 30 fps, even in heavy combat. I would've expected some sort of lag or slowdown, but not this total freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    (if it works)
    Well, apparantly it doesn't :(
    I had a few freezes last night, but afterwards I was able to play an hour without any freezes. Frankly, I have no idea why this is happening. Using the ironsights on other weapons is no problem at all, and I have experienced no other crashes or freezes apart from this one. Does anyone have a bright idea?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Someone here on the steam support forums suggests he had the same issue and fixed it by lowering the physx details.

Also other's have suggested it was an issue with old drivers on nvidia cards. Since you didn't say what card you have I can't say that that is your issue but it might be worth updating the drivers anyway.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Someone here on the steam support forums suggests he had the same issue and fixed it by lowering the physx details.

Also other's have suggested it was an issue with old drivers on nvidia cards. Since you didn't say what card you have I can't say that that is your issue but it might be worth updating the drivers anyway.
    Physx details are already at the lowest setting. I have an ATI HD 6570 (1GB) GPU, already updated to the latest drivers. I might try rolling back to a previous release, since I updated my drivers after a few hours of play and cannot remember experiencing the problem before the update.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Good idea. I know when Blands 2 first came out there were issues with it and ATI cards. Like the one where when you went down for the count, the whole screen went black until someone started picking you up.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID