Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Stronghold Games - walk me thru them

So I have a fancy to make a castle - and I've never played a Stronghold Game which seems to be the best way to do that!?

The original games are bundled cheap at Gamersgate atm but is Stronghold 3 actually playable these days, should I look at the HD remakes of the original and Crusader??

Where to start then?

p.s. a quick Google suggests the original or Crusader are the best places to start but I'm still open to argument :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Stronghold games have a very long tutorial process that walks you through, with each level introducing a new mechanic.

Like most strategy games, the key is your supply chain. It is particularly critical that stone mining starts quickly, with lumber and steel coming along too. In Stronghold the most important resource is your food, which means shortening trips. I've found that it's most effective to have bakers near the storage facilities. Mills generally outproduce farms, so they only need to keep up with bakers.

That's building a castle, the more interesting part. Sieges are balls hard.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I can't comment on the later games, as I avoided them upon seeing the terrible reviews. But the original Stronghold's economic campaign is good relaxing town-building fun, if you're into that kind of thing.

Network Hub
    I've avoided the most recent aditions but Stronghold: Crusader is the strongest of the older games. Good Old Games as a geat version for sale that includes a bunch of bonus content.

To be clear Crusader was a new game released about a year or so after the original Stronghold. It has some upgrades but it was essentially an iteration on the original.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Stronghold: Crusader is better, because it have singleplayer skirmish mode where CPU opponents can build castles too and you basically have first Stronghold + some new buildings & units etc.

Stronghold 3 was a huge failure. I'm happy to have supported the devs but the game really is crap. Just buy the original from gog.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Stronghold 3 was a huge failure. I'm happy to have supported the devs but the game really is crap. Just buy the original from gog.
    Interestingly, GoG only have the 'remastered' ones (Good Remastered Games!) - the HD releases of the original and Crusader!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I guess you could go for Crusader HD since it has all the useless bits and pieces other versions added and it doesn't cost, you know, three times as much.

I'm still bitter about Extreme. Avoid the stupid super powers that come with Extreme.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Actually, reading around it seems the HD releases are also available as free patches for people with the existing games so owning one gives you the other automatically anyway!?

The only actual change appears to be unlocked the resolutions above 1024x768 and allowing the map to fill the screen more? - ah, 2001 again!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Pitch, braziers and archers are your friends. Doubly so when it's a friend storming your castle.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Watch out for the trolls. They're nasty buggers. If you see the attacking player start to line up some trolls, make sure you've got cauldrons ready on all the least-defended walls, and hopefully on the others too. Make sure you don't neglect the battering ram over-much, and remember--you're really trying to buy time. Enough turns go past, even if he breaks in you can still win on victory points. Especially if you've held the honor guard the whole time against the temptation of reinforcements.

Er ... wait a minute ...

Ok, I'd recommend either Space Cadets or the Stratego-but-cooler game Confusion. Survive! is a pretty slick remake as well, of course. Component quality is really good in all of these; Stronghold is a class act.

... I'm terribly sorry.

JENGA IS MY CASTLE!

Oh dear. Carry on.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0