Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar

I don't get some of these articles lately (please keep JohnW discussion here).

Basically, the one in question is "Apology for using female writers". Reading that has made my terrible morning rather horrible.

The thing is, every comment I have seen so far on Cara Ellison has been full of positivity, happyness, and general approval. The general consensus seems to be that she should be employed as a regular writer (if she is not already). The only problem I have with her writings is that they can be a little bit too wacky at times, although most of the time (almost all the time) I find that it works really well. And this seems to be the general consensus.

Suddenly, a post appears on the RPS frontpage, known as "Apology for using female writers", which is so full of negativity that it looks like miss Ellison has been threatened with death or worse.

What did I miss here? Is answering negativity with negativity really the proper answer?
    Last edited by Grizzly; 06-04-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    That article actually made me smile a bit. More than anything it had some kind of joking in it and made me want to create an account just to write, that pea soup in the picture either looked horrible or was disguised as looking horrible.
    I'm guessing you took that article with too much salt.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    That article actually made me smile a bit. More than anything it had some kind of joking in it and made me want to create an account just to write, that pea soup in the picture either looked horrible or was disguised as looking horrible.
    I'm guessing you took that article with too much salt.
    The pea soup was from an earlier article. (The LC interview)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I've seen some of the comments about Cara Ellison on the article where she posted a picture of herself, and believe me, it took off.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I've seen some of the comments about Cara Ellison on the article where she posted a picture of herself, and believe me, it took off.
    Looking at that article I don't see anything too terrible. I mean someone said you shouldn't posts pictures on the internet, but he seemed more like he was trying to allude to future events than actually be offensive.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wengart View Post
    Looking at that article I don't see anything too terrible. I mean someone said you shouldn't posts pictures on the internet, but he seemed more like he was trying to allude to future events than actually be offensive.
    The comments that prompted this article were deleted off the original Tomb Raider article. So the comments there at the moment are the sanitised version.

Obscure Node
    Someone told me that the majority of attacks against Cara and/or her article happened outside of RPS. Did RPS temporarily went down after the 'apology' article? It might have something to do with that.

I didn't see any of the comments that must have been deleted either. Do you guys think RPS should name and shame some of these posters alongside quotes of their posts on an article with comments disabled? Would it make it worse?

Cara definitely has a different style but I agree with Grizzly that generally people seem to like it. Might have been better for RPS to have us rally to her side and distance ourselves from the horrible comments, rather than take the confusing scattershot approach we saw today (funny as parts of it were). I really like the RPS community so don't want us to feel like a majority of us are being asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    I didn't see any of the comments that must have been deleted either. Do you guys think RPS should name and shame some of these posters alongside quotes of their posts on an article with comments disabled? Would it make it worse?
    I am a strong proponent of naming and shaming. I don't think they're going to do so, though. I think we're just going to end up with certain articles heavily redacted.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    Do you guys think RPS should name and shame some of these posters alongside quotes of their posts on an article with comments disabled? Would it make it worse?
    No, I think the best thing to do it's just to delete those comments. Acknowledging those comments and posters is giving them more value than they deserve.

And now they have started insulting my kind!

while we’re very proud of the community on RPS, which is most certainly smarter than the average bear,
    I take offense! :(.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I take offense! :(
    Are you not an above-average bear?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I obviously missed something as well.. as I thought everyone was enjoying the new writer on the site? It's a shame that some internet types really have to turn NOTHING into something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Kind of missed all the fuss tbh. I've not gotten around to playing TR so have shied away from any articles to avoid spoilers (not that I suspect their are any great revelations..but you know ..why run the risk?). As I understand it from a few trusted types decent writer and a good addition to the hivemind but prone to a bit of NGJ meandering that comes off as a bit 'hyperactive' so I'm told (guess I'll find out when I finally get around to playing TR and catching up with the yak). No bad thing, but I must admit I'm more interested in games, than the personal meta stuff myself (regardless of whose writing). Anyhows hopefully a few assholes haven't put her off writing more for RPS.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68
    (really cool ad)
    Ugh, don't remind me... That guy kept moaning for weeks, shouting EXTERMINATE ALL THE BRUTES all the time, eventually going off into the forest. Now his project catches more salmon then everybody else combined, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Are you not an above-average bear?
    Only because I met this hermit one day...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Only because I met this hermit one day...
    Is that a "The Iron Ring" allusion, or just a bit of autobiography, or something else entirely?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Is that a "The Iron Ring" allusion, or just a bit of autobiography, or something else entirely?
    No, it is a reference to this: .

The other one is a "Heart of Darkness" reference, by the way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Literatures!
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There are very nice people on the RPS community, but not everyone is nice. There are better communities than RPS, really.

I don't understand some of the articles either, but its not my blog, is the writters blogs and is his right to write about things I may not see a point, really.