Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    quick question: have you done any serious overclocking - above 4.0GHz, 4.5Ghz - on an intel dual core or quad core in the past 6 years?
    Yes. I've also overclocked a few graphics cards. Overclocking graphics cards (typically) adds more to overall power consumption than overclocking CPUs, and is also more likely to stress a PSU with a poor power distribution.

Network Hub
    Sorry mashakos, in this case Sakkura and I are correct. A PSU rating is what it's rated to DELIVER, not consume. As such, it's guaranteed to deliver at least 450w to the internal components, while consuming 450w +~8%

I'm also not sure where 'unregulated' power comes from, all PC PSUs are regulated. As well, only ridiculously heavily overclocked i7 920's ever drew near 200w peak, the new LGA1155 are much more efficient - even when running at 4.8ghz.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Yes. I've also overclocked a few graphics cards. Overclocking graphics cards (typically) adds more to overall power consumption than overclocking CPUs, and is also more likely to stress a PSU with a poor power distribution.
    so it's a no then.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    I'm also not sure where 'unregulated' power comes from, all PC PSUs are regulated. As well, only ridiculously heavily overclocked i7 920's ever drew near 200w peak, the new LGA1155 are much more efficient - even when running at 4.8ghz.
    oh well, here's LMGTFY:
    https://www.google.ae/search?q=psu+v...=1920&bih=1098
    Steam profile

Network Hub
    Voltage stability /=/ unregulated voltage. I see you're doing your usual stunt of posting half assed information and then completely ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

so it's a no then.
    Tell that to my E7200. I didn't measure power consumption myself, but I've seen articles where it gets a system power consumption of less than 200W in Prime95 when overclocked. There are graphics cards that draw more than that at stock.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think 2 PCs ago I skipped on upgrading my PSU, since it was right at the ceiling and to save on upgrading. It lasted 2 years until it died probably to the stress of the power hungry GPU.

Hard to think as we advance in computing power a lot of work is done in staying at the same power consumption or less.
    It does not hurt to pay the extra $10-$20 to be over some to be on the safe side.

I'd recommend some of the really depth PSU reviews at Silent PC Review. SPCR takes them to pieces & finds the vendor and type of the caps etc as well as the quality of the soldering & regulating circuitry. Focused mainly on efficiency (as their aim is silence,) it really goes into depth and I definitely concur that a good 500W PSU is enough for any single GPU system using a modern desktop Intel or AMD CPU.*

Their primer article on the basics of how PSU's work is here. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

*Unless you're doing something bizarre like 14 HDDs in a RAID array.

Tell that to my E7200. I didn't measure power consumption myself, but I've seen articles where it gets a system power consumption of less than 200W in Prime95 when overclocked. There are graphics cards that draw more than that at stock.
    Never seen a gpu overclock provide any real performance gains, the best attempt I've personally seen (a complicated process involving solder irons) netted a total gain of none to a 10fps increase in some games. If you didn't overclock your E7200 to above 4GHz for extended use it doesn't really count. Those tiny 500mhz overclocks are automatically achieved on default "safe" motherboard profiles nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Voltage stability /=/ unregulated voltage. I see you're doing your usual stunt of posting half assed information and then completely ignoring all evidence to the contrary.
    it was just one of those terms I tend to mix up when I talk about something I haven't researched heavily in years. Of course, technically speaking, all power from a PSU is regulated. The best way to ensure voltage stability is to get a PSU with enough headroom (and enough individual rails for gpu,cpu and remaining components) to ensure that you don't end up testing it's efficiency in a way that might lead in damaged hardware.

I'm especially familiar with the results of instability since I overclock all my PCs, if you aren't seriously overclocking you can ignore this.
    Steam profile

Network Hub
    And 450w is plenty of headroom for a system with a maximum power drain of 300w, even under full load.

Let's remember, you stated that a 450w will only provide 385w, and you stated that an 800w PSU isn't for extra power, it's for extra cooling(?, both my 450w PSUs had 120mm fans) and redundancy, and then somehow linked higher power PSU to having higher quality components somehow.

Again, you do this all the time. You give out poor and misguided information, and when challenged on it, go off on random tangents.

Never seen a gpu overclock provide any real performance gains, the best attempt I've personally seen (a complicated process involving solder irons) netted a total gain of none to a 10fps increase in some games. If you didn't overclock your E7200 to above 4GHz for extended use it doesn't really count. Those tiny 500mhz overclocks are automatically achieved on default "safe" motherboard profiles nowadays.

it was just one of those terms I tend to mix up when I talk about something I haven't researched heavily in years. Of course, technically speaking, all power from a PSU is regulated. The best way to ensure voltage stability is to get a PSU with enough headroom (and enough individual rails for gpu,cpu and remaining components) to ensure that you don't end up testing it's efficiency in a way that might lead in damaged hardware.

I'm especially familiar with the results of instability since I overclock all my PCs, if you aren't seriously overclocking you can ignore this.
    GPU overclocks are just as good as CPU overclocks, or in a world of mainly GPU-limited games actually better.
    What's your obsession with how high I've overclocked my CPUs, and why do you keep moving the goalposts? 4 GHz is already more than a 50% overclock, which is far beyond what's feasible with current-gen CPUs.

The best way to ensure stable voltages - both in terms of regulation and in terms of ripple - is not to get a PSU with excessive headroom, but to get one with high-quality components. A 500W PSU with good capacitors etc. is much better than an 800W PSU with Su'scon crapacitors. The number of individual (12V) rails is not that important, since each component doesn't need a separate rail. The rail(s) just need to provide ample amperage for what they're going to supply.

I like how you're completely condescending while also being wrong about the term you're using.

GPU overclocks are just as good as CPU overclocks, or in a world of mainly GPU-limited games actually better.
    What's your obsession with how high I've overclocked my CPUs, and why do you keep moving the goalposts? 4 GHz is already more than a 50% overclock, which is far beyond what's feasible with current-gen CPUs.

The best way to ensure stable voltages - both in terms of regulation and in terms of ripple - is not to get a PSU with excessive headroom, but to get one with high-quality components. A 500W PSU with good capacitors etc. is much better than an 800W PSU with Su'scon crapacitors. The number of individual (12V) rails is not that important, since each component doesn't need a separate rail. The rail(s) just need to provide ample amperage for what they're going to supply.
    Without stoking this thread (I'm the new guy and I'd rather not make enemies at the moment), I agree with the need for quality over quantity. A high quality 600watt power supply will do much more justice than a "cruddy" (subpar capacitors, etc.) 850watt power supply any and every day of the week.

Obscure Node
    I think that newegg power supply calculator is a little exaggerated (probably because they want to sell more). Here is one that's a little more accurate:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Power supplies have to be the most annoying component to buy for a PC. So many false values listed. Pretty much though if your pc doesn't shut down it's enough power. I'm running a brand new system right now on a 300W supply and it's doing fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    I'd recommend some of the really depth PSU reviews at Silent PC Review. SPCR takes them to pieces & finds the vendor and type of the caps etc as well as the quality of the soldering & regulating circuitry. Focused mainly on efficiency (as their aim is silence,) it really goes into depth and I definitely concur that a good 500W PSU is enough for any single GPU system using a modern desktop Intel or AMD CPU.*

Their primer article on the basics of how PSU's work is here. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

*Unless you're doing something bizarre like 14 HDDs in a RAID array.
    This site is beautiful, and it's going to be the blueprint for my next build. Whenever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    This site is beautiful, and it's going to be the blueprint for my next build. Whenever that may be.
    It and its forums have been helping me spec every build I've made for years. Very well written and tonnes of depth on the subjects they cover.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    It's a reasonable PC, but personally I wouldn't pay 665 for it because the first thing I'd do is replace both the GPU and the CPU. There's no point paying for the FX-4300 when the FX-6300 is all but the same price. I've also heard that a 7850 doesn't really have the grunt for a multi-monitor setup, but then that's not exactly a necessity for gaming.

Also, rather than spamming threads with this message, reach the post requirement with on topic replies (there's a good list here with threads to post in) and post a thread for yourself.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

Huh? Did someone delete their post?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Or had their post deleted, yea.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC