Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Obscure Node
    I've just started a new playthrough with Project Nevada and it's very easy on default rebalance settings. As in: most enemies need to pump dozens of rounds into me in order to do anything stimpak-worthy. Is this really the way it's supposed to be? I'm wearing a decent leather armour, which shouldn't provide this level of protection against small arms fire. When I'm fighting a high level enemy (like one of the bosses from the Random Encounters mod) it's pretty funny: we're basically circling each other and pumping insane amounts of small arms fire into one another.

I've got PN set to default and I've tried Medium, Hard and Very Hard in-game difficulties, but these don't seem to make much difference. Has anyone come up with a "nicely difficult" PN rebalance config that makes combat feel appropriately challenging?
    Last edited by WuXeS; 23-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I'm looking for mods to increase lethality of combat and make it more Stalker-like in a way( obviously, I'm not using VATS at all). There was at least one rebalance mod like this but I think it made game way too easy. I know the engine, shooting mechanics and AI are not very suited for that sort of thing but well, any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

For a more realistic F:NV I've found Arwen's mod to be really good. I'm using it without the med-tec but with one-life and even though it's pretty harsh for you, it's also harsh for the enemies. Unarmored ones you can usually kill with 1 hs or something like that. And with one-life part it kinda feels like a dark souls experience.

You guys could try it, i had fun with it until my HDD blew up and i lost all my saves :(.

Was there a relation between the mod and the HDD exploding?

Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    Was there a relation between the mod and the HDD exploding?
    :)) of course not. I stopped playing about a week before the HDD went caput (studying and stuff). it made a weird sound before it broke but i never knew it was because it was running it's last mile.

The worst thing is that i lost my Dark Souls save as well :(.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    For a more realistic F:NV I've found Arwen's mod to be really good. I'm using it without the med-tec but with one-life and even though it's pretty harsh for you, it's also harsh for the enemies. Unarmored ones you can usually kill with 1 hs or something like that. And with one-life part it kinda feels like a dark souls experience.

You guys could try it, i had fun with it until my HDD blew up and i lost all my saves :(.
    Yeah I got a good Stalkerish return from a few hours with Arwens mod. Wasn't the experience I was going for so uninstalled it, I wanted a more classic RPG thing going on, but for a survival horror type high fatality risk dealy am sure it would work well

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Yeah I got a good Stalkerish return from a few hours with Arwens mod. Wasn't the experience I was going for so uninstalled it, I wanted a more classic RPG thing going on, but for a survival horror type high fatality risk dealy am sure it would work well
    Well with one-life module it's kinda like dark souls since you don't really die, you just get knocked out or something like that and have stuff stolen from you.
    But yeah, it's pretty good if you are looking for a more deadly/realistic mod. Good thing is that it's deadly/realistic for you and the enemy :).

Finally got it up and running, and seemingly stable with around 60 mods. Played it for two-and-a-half hours on Sunday with no crashes.

I mainly added texture improvements, bug fixes, Project Nevada, weather and a handful of gameplay changes like weapon mods expanded. I can post a load order later if anyone is interested.

What seems to have sorted my specific problems, is using the NMM instead of FOMM and setting up a custom launch through it to the 4GB LAA exe file. I also installed mods in small chunks, checked issues in FNVedit and made merged patches as I did so.

Now that I seem to have it running, I just need to find the time to play it.

Obscure Node
    What I did to redure crashes to a minimum (once every few hours, which I think is pretty good for a heavily modded game):

1. Installed the basics already mentioned here (4GBexe, Stutter Remover, Purge Cell Buffers).

2. Configured the game for fake fullscreen mode using Game Companion. FNV actually runs better in a window and this makes windowed mode look exactly like fullscreen.

3. Used medium/small texture packs (NMC, Poco Bueno). The large ones are overkill, especially considering the generally poor quality of FNV graphics, which makes super pretty textures seem rather out of place.

4. Used BOSS to sort the load order.

5. Created a merged patch using FNVEdit.

6. Disabled and reapplied archive invalidation in Nexus Mod Manager (I had some texture conflicts and this resolved them).

7. Optimized FNV's .ini files using these templates. I just took the default one, followed the readme (make sure you do all the extra steps) and then tweaked the graphics with NVConfigator to make it playable on my shitty rig. This was probably the most important step - quite a dramatic improvement in stability.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by WuXeS; 26-09-2013 at 08:21 AM.

All good points. I forgot the ini tweaks I made. Mainly the ones required for certain mods like DarNUI and New Vegas Redesigned but also did the multi core one. The other tweaks are accomplished with the Configator.

I'm not using the stutter remover, purge cell buffers or the game companion now, but I did try them all. Obviously if they work for you then use them.

I did a lot of texture replacers for everything from NPCs, clothes, weapons, environment and miscellaneous clutter, so I'm not sure if there are many textures that are vanilla. I'm using the large version for most of them and it seems to be working okay.

I would say the 4GB exe and using FNVedit seems to be the key to preventing most crashes, in my anecdotal n=1 experience.

My load order. It's probably not perfect, but it's not crashing, so I'm happy.

http://pastebin.com/sX8PfVam

Obscure Node
    Great post. Had decided to play through again when the DLC went on sale recently.
    Used your mod list as a basis for setup. Installing all the mods wasn't too hard using NMM for most installs and BOSS to do sorting and confirming that a game would load every 5 mods loaded. Just need to make sure you find those compatability patches, especially for Project Nevada as they are in separate entries on the nexus as opposed to being listed as optional files under the PN page.

One thing I would change in your list, however, is your recommendation for PROJECT REALITY. I really think this is too buggy to use and would recommend something else like Nevada Skies in its place.

With project reality I was getting 15-25 FPS indoors and changing my quality settings down to Low didn't fix the issue. Without PR I'm at the my configured (adaptive vsync) max of 60 fps, constantly. After enabling Nevada Skies FPS stays at 60.

The comments section of Project Reality claim that the way Rain and DOF are implemented cause the issue, but there is no clean fix and the author has retired from modding New Vegas. So, I'd say it is a mod to avoid, which is too bad. It did look nice.
    Last edited by fwiffo; 01-11-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So apparently the Archive Invalidation mod no longer works. I've seen that the one built into FOMM still works for some people. Anyone have a reliable way of doing this that is still working?
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Nexus Mod Manager did it automatically for me. I never had to think about it.

Obscure Node
    A very underrated overhaul mod that I've been playing is Arwen's New Vegas Tweaks (sorry missed the previous suggestions.)
    Little Changes I've noticed and enjoyed so far from the mod:
    1. Stimpacks heal over time, force an "injection" animation, and force you to take cover in part due to the healing-over-time mechanic but also due to movement restrictions while they are taking effect. It makes approaching combat way more strategic. You can't just rush a group of enemies from the open road anymore (nor can you just crouch in the open and hope to pick them off before they react like you could in vanilla). You have to flank and take cover using those dilapidated buildings and geography and stuff so you can pull back and heal. It's awesome. There is a stimpack-dedicated hotkey (default: H)

2. You have to tend to injuries after battle using clutter items that were once completely useless (leather belt as a tourniquet, medical braces for broken bones, new bandage items)- This was one of the features that I was worried would increase my time spent fumbling around in the in-game menu (along with the primary needs aspect of the mod) but I was mistaken. With a quick tap of the "m' key, you're given all needs/injury information in an instant in the form of one of those small contextual messages that display in the upper left hand corner of your hud.

3. Rebalanced enemy/player health, rebalancing of weapons/armor, LOCATIONAL damage (aim for the head) - the balance here is really really phenomenal and combat feels fast and intense with all enemy types (geckos and praying mantis's included)

4. Smarter enemy AI and better stealth gameplay- The AI is way less retarded. Enemies that shoot projectiles will now constantly look for (and stay in) cover and not kamikaze rush you quite as often. It does still happen but not 100% of the time like in the vanilla game - maybe 20-30%). Also, all variations of animal/mutant enemies are WAY stronger. A pack of wolves can easily take you down in less than 20 seconds if you don't take them down first.

5. Really innovative Fast travel restrictions (based on hp/primary needs/injuries)

Anyway I hope I don't come off as a walking advertisement for the mod but Ive been just so impressed with it so far that I felt I needed to share some of the things I've enjoyed from it. As a warning, this mod is incompatible with a bunch of other mods as it's an overhaul.

Other smaller mods that fit a specific purpose (that haven't been listed so far-- all compatible with Arwen's tweaks if interested):

Stability/Bugfix:
    1. NVAC (New vegas anti crash) - techno wizardry that prevents CTD's. lots of endorsements and no negative effects for my game so far.

HUD:
    1. oHUD (combines iHUD, aHUD, eHUD mods). Immersive, extra and adjustable Hud elements. must have.
    2. Unified HUD Project - sorts out incompatibilities between mods that adjust HUD/UI. must have
    3. Quick Trade (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) - Allows you to bypass the dialogue menu for merchants and go straight into their trade menus with a right click.

Gameplay:
    1. DK Bullettime - bullettime mod (same as the one built into project nevada for those of you familiar with PN). Good alternative for people who hate VATS.
    2. True Leaning - Lean out of cover like a boss (or like a Thief). may mess with stealth balancing.
    3. JIP Companion Command and control - This mod gives you a hotkey to give companion commands without having to stand next them and open their companion wheel. This is one of the most innovative mods I've ever seen but may make combat easier. To offset this I've made my followers nonessential to make up for their new found competance.
    Last edited by ibebyi; 16-11-2013 at 04:32 AM.

Obscure Node
    Anything to add for 2014? :) Starting to gather mods for a fresh playthrough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    So just after this thread started I went and modded New Vegas. I then forgot to play it until now, and as a result I'm scared of going back in case I left it in a non-functional state... I can't remember what I installed (of course), so basically is it enough to delete New Vegas in Steam and reinstall it to wipe all the mods off or do I have to do them all separately? I did use Nexus Mod Manager, but I remember adding stuff that isn't compatible with it... NVSE sounds familiar and there were some other things, I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    After uninstall jsut remove the directory. Should work fine. At least I never had trouble with it.

I'm jealous of people who can still play FNV, every time I try to I'm getting sidetracked by two million things from IRL to other games to other mods for FNV and even to 3D modelling things for FNV itself( not that I made anything worthwile). Same with Skyrim. I had to make a custom facepaint, just so I felt special. And even if I manage to play my games become Screenshot-hunting sim 2014 instantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.