Network Hub

Heroes of the Storm - It ain't half bad.

When you hear something like HotS not having any buyable items in-game and see iconic characters like Diablo riding ponies, one cannot help but die a little inside. You also don't need to last-hit.

But after playing it a bit I must say that that going against what people think the formula for a MOBA should be, can sometimes wonder why it was part of the formula in the first place. Sometimes you have to go against tradition to make progress.

For instance what is really the point of items?
    Do they exist for more build options? If so why does it feel HotS have more build options, the truth is, the viable item builds in a game like DOTA2 are very limited.
    In HotS you start with all your basic skills (apart from the ulti), and as you level you can essentially morph them into more powerful versions with added functionality. It serves the same function as items, but you don't need to memorize every item in the game or read guides as to why your getting those items in the first place.

Perks just allow for a more specialized and personal approach to making your hero more powerful, like the staff of master does for DOTA2.

PS. HotS just beat Strife as the easiest MOBA to get into.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to trying it out eventually. I'm a fairly long term LoL player and haven't been able to get into any of the other MoBAs (or lane-bastards or whatever the currently in-vogue term is) for a variety of reasons. I hate the floaty feel of Dota and was never able to move past that, while Strife, Dawngate et al lacked something for me. I quite enjoy SMiTE as it's a different take on things and I am a sucker for using mythology as inspiration for the characters, but it feels a lot more basic in terms of overall strategies and simplistic character mechanics.

But yes, Heroes looks very interesting indeed. I was under the impression is was still in a pretty limited technical beta though, so you must be one of the lucky ones!
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Activated Node
    I was just wondering, why do you think DOTA is "floaty"?

I don't play DOTA (or any MOBAs for that matter), it's just that the term "floaty" is usually used in context of FPS games when the handling feels disconnected from the action on screen.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by hideinlight View Post
    For instance what is really the point of items?
    Shop items/dropped items/consumables were initially moddable at a time when many other Warcraft III features were not. I believe they were one of a handful of game features you could totally rework from inside WC3EDIT, without requiring coding from scratch such as for map triggers and AI. In its earliest incarnations, Defense of the Ancients distanced itself from a crowded, competitive field of tower defense mods by offering the most custom modded items of any WC3 TD mod. And it continued to do so, causing a brief Goblin Shop inventory size race which it won by dogged attrition. So I'm pretty sure this corner of hallowed MOBA convention was once seat-of-the-pants inspiration to become and remain the most downloaded mod of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by hideinlight View Post
    the truth is, the viable item builds in a game like DOTA2 are very limited.
    That sounds more like something you want to be true than the actual truth.

HoTS is enjoyable for little 20-30 minute bursts, which I suppose is the whole point. At the same time, there's no denying that's it's far more casual and simplistic than most of the other MOBA offerings out there at current. Personally, I'm waiting for the whole genre and MOBA development fad to die down, and unfortunately, I don't think it'll be any time soon.
    ~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by levictus View Post
    I was just wondering, why do you think DOTA is "floaty"?

I don't play DOTA (or any MOBAs for that matter), it's just that the term "floaty" is usually used in context of FPS games when the handling feels disconnected from the action on screen.
    Compared to LoL Dota has a built in delay between clicking somewhere and a character moving/acting. I think it's It's a carry over from the original DOTA, as it apes movement from an RTS. It's fine as a design decision but for me it makes it very hard to move from one game to the other.

(Really don't want this thread to turn into moba VS btw I probably shouldn't have mentioned the other games!)
    Last edited by Jockie; 25-09-2014 at 10:56 AM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    That sounds more like something you want to be true than the actual truth.
    Take heroes like Enigma/Earthshaker/Sand King as example, their effectiveness are almost entirely based around the blink dagger.
    A lot of heroes you can really only play effectively with one type of build/playstyle. You can also effectively ruin the game by using items that useless to that hero and it's role.

Sure you can build a dagon on Void as first item, but you won't be popular, HoTs basically gives you all the valid options only.