Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar

Getting the most out of Planescape Torment.

Just wanting to pick your collective brains, or thought processors for a bit. Going to be playing Planescape for the first time and just looking for suggestions on doing so. Any mods or builds I should avoid? Cheers.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You need Int and Wisdom, so stack them. You start as a fighter, but you can respec to mage, but those 2 things open up so much of the games dialogue and so on that they're basically essentially in my opinion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Just wanting to pick your collective brains, or thought processors for a bit. Going to be playing Planescape for the first time and just looking for suggestions on doing so. Any mods or builds I should avoid? Cheers.
    Mods?

I think you only need widescreen mod.

Builds.

Maximize wisdom. nothing else to add regarding the build.

Playstyle:

Talk to everyone you can talk to. this is a story driven game with hundreds of thousands of words.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's only one hint. Maximize wisdom. Play as you want to, the game will respond in subtle ways.

If you're curious in seeing everything I would recommend playing as a mage, try to do it as quickly as possible. They have huge, final fantasy style spells at the end of the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I too recommend pumping everything into Wisdom, Intelligence, and then Charisma. Being a magicer matches this well, and is probably the most interesting and least frustrating way to play, too.

I bounced off Planescape twice before it grabbed me. The start is very brown and a bit irritating, and the first areas are kind of sprawling and a little confusing (the mod that increases the resolution would help a lot, I'd imagine). It also has the usual terrible, dissatisfying combat of that engine (one reason why being a mage is best: melee combat is very tedious), and it took me a while to get into the feel of the story and characters, so it didn't grab me for a while.

BUT. Once I got into the mindset for the game - treating it as an interactive story and character study, with a dose of philosophy - I had a great time. It's one of very few games that are worth playing purely to find out more about the story and characters. It also gives you more viable options than just about any game I've ever played - rarely will you find yourself in that familiar situation where all the dialogue options are idiotic or make you want to punch your own character in the face.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I suggest this fix pack:
    http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/pst-fixpack

and the infinity engine widescreen mod:
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

Also I would recommend doing a full install and using a NOCD crack. You don't need this if it's a digital download, obviously.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Stick with it. The start is pretty uninspiring. I also bounced off it at least twice.

Fighter/Thief have always been dull as ditchwater in infinity engine games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Play a better game.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Play a better game.
    This.
    Maybe *later* this game is getting *better*, but it doesn't matter. The dialogues style is driving me *mad* with all these *weird* highlights of certain *words*. If you must *highlight* some parts of dialogues, congratulations, you wrote *terrible* dialogues.
    Also *stupidity* of some NPCs is beyond *everything*. Why a woman whom I meet 2 minutes earlier gives me quest to pay her husband's *debts*? I have no *idea*, but IT'S BULLSHIT.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    This.
    Maybe *later* this game is getting *better*, but it doesn't matter. The dialogues style is driving me *mad* with all these *weird* highlights of certain *words*. If you must *highlight* some parts of dialogues, congratulations, you wrote *terrible* dialogues.
    Also *stupidity* of some NPCs is beyond *everything*. Why a woman whom I meet 2 minutes earlier gives me quest to pay her husband's *debts*? I have no *idea*, but IT'S BULLSHIT.
    Have you never read a book where an author used italics for emphasis?

Because I've got a bookshelf full of some pretty good books! I can confirm it happens in all of them.

Bizarre, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    But I think the thing is that it's important to note is that planescape isn't the sort of thing for everyone, and that's fine! But there's not exactly alternatives. If it's that setting and that sort of story you want, with philosophy and ridiculous-tons of dialogue, you can't exactly recommend Baldur's gate or something. It's like if someone wants a lemon tart, and you go 'get a better dessert, have some sherry trifle.' Both are desserts, but they're not likely to scratch the same itch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    You should *know* there are only certain words that are astrisked. It's nothing like GameCat says at all. I believe only Dak'kon talks like that, and usually only words like *know* because he means "grok" but that isn't in his vocabulary.

Why a woman whom I meet 2 minutes earlier gives me quest to pay her husband's *debts*? I have no *idea*, but IT'S BULLSHIT.
    it is every single rpg out there....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Don't let the hype surrounding it push you to keep playing it if you find you don't enjoy it, that'd be my advice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Have you never read a book where an author used italics for emphasis?

Because I've got a bookshelf full of some pretty good books! I can confirm it happens in all of them.

Bizarre, right?
    I've read tons of books, most of authors rarely do that (at least not in every single fucking piece of dialogue). And one of my fauvorite, Cormac McCarthy doesn't even use hyphen before each line of dialogue, because (there's no reason to) blot the page up with weird little marks.
    And italics aren't that annoying. Comic books have often bolded words and this also isn't that annoying.

it is every single rpg out there....
    Hmm, really? I don't remeber such thing in Fallout. And if there was something like that - again - it wasn't that annoying.
    And not all - Gothic for example.

Hmm, really? I don't remeber such thing in Fallout. And if there was something like that - again - it wasn't that annoying.
    And not all - Gothic for example.
    Fallout 2 you had sulik out of nowhere asking you to pay his debt. or his owner could offer you to pay for him.
    in VC you are asked out of nowhere to fix an atomic plant.
    In BG2 you meet a woman who asks you to save her and her brother from pirates. no real context... just save me and my brother.

dunno about gothic. have yet to play it.

and whats the issue with that quest? I am always offered those quests when i walk to work (once a week at least).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    You should *know* there are only certain words that are astrisked. It's nothing like GameCat says at all. I believe only Dak'kon talks like that, and usually only words like *know* because he means "grok" but that isn't in his vocabulary.
    Yeah, I thought this, too. The fact that when speaking with Dak'kon, a character with high enough wisdom will emphasise specific words is very, very deliberate, and is even explicitly pointed out. It's a pretty feeble complaint, really, there are much fairer and more valid criticisms to make.

And yes, every other person you meet will stand around waiting for some random stranger to come along to solve all their problems. That happens in almost every RPG ever devised, so while it's a fair point, it's hardly fair to single out Planescape for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And yes, every other person you meet will stand around waiting for some random stranger to come along to solve all their problems. That happens in almost every RPG ever devised, so while it's a fair point, it's hardly fair to single out Planescape for it.
    Yeah, but I was excepting something more from Torment. Even Gothic with rather medicore plot deals with that issue.
    Some farmer asks me for help? Sure, I will help him, because he will give me clothes so city guards will let me in etc.
    Witcher is also good example - you're doing quests to kill some monsters, because Geralt is a monster slayer mercenary who will do his job if someone will pay good enough.

Also the problem with that certain quest from Torment is that main hero should at least do some quests for money, because when you're waking up in mortuary in some strange, magic world you have to make sure you have some money to buy food or something. And first quest I've encountered was about paying someone else debts. Ugh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Gothic had Mud. That is so much worse than any instaquest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I don't like reading about a game lots before I play it. All it takes is to read one person complaining about one flaw which may not have bothered you, but once you've read it you can't help but notice.