Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 125
  1. #101
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by cjlr View Post
    Well, it's definitely got a good mix of raw plot elements. I quite enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. Yeah, it touches on the by-now-classic themes, the closing of the frontier, the cycle of violence, redemption, all that. You're just not going to convince me it does so better than, say, the Wild Bunch. Mind, by its nature it's more like the old TV shows than the standout films - rather episodic, and certainly the pacing's barely even theoretical (but then, it's an open game, so that's inevitable). But there's no way it matches the great film westerns - it can't. The music, the cinematography, the rhythm, it's not as good as a film at being a film, and there isn't the vocabulary (yet) for a (interactive, tech-limited) game to stand up to the same level on its own terms. I'll stop now, lest I ramble on pretentiously for several paragraphs.
    Fair enough, but The Wild Bunch was forty-five years ago. Considering that I can only count about five (traditional, dis-including the likes of Melquiades Estrada and No Country for Old Men here) truly "great" Westerns in the last twenty years, in any medium, we take what we can get.

  2. #102
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    My partner is not a gamer, however has burned through a few popcap games as a reaction to various stresses. We also played portal 2 co-op together, although the fps controls were a bit much for her. Solving the puzzles was fun though. We have also played some awesomenauts together, but that was a bit too much. I think she just doesn't have the thing that gets hooked by this stuff.

  3. #103
    My partner plays casual games on her phone - the sort that you can interact with for 5 minutes, set a load of stuff going, then check it again a few hours later to collect rewards - but not on PC/console. She would see "hardcore" gaming as a waste of her time. The whole suspension of disbelief thing, experiencing something vicariously through a video game character, is not something she can particularly relate to. It's the same with her taste in movies/books. The more fantastical something is, the more "silly" she feels it is. For her, there's no personal value in entertainment media unless they're grounded in reality. If she see's something as completely implausible, then she can't see the point in it. That said, she recognises this is simply a personal value judgement. She has no philosophical problem with me playing games and understands the reasons I enjoy it. They just don't apply to her.

  4. #104
    Lesser Hivemind Node L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTangent View Post
    The whole suspension of disbelief thing, experiencing something vicariously through a video game character, is not something she can particularly relate to. It's the same with her taste in movies/books. The more fantastical something is, the more "silly" she feels it is. For her, there's no personal value in entertainment media unless they're grounded in reality. If she see's something as completely implausible, then she can't see the point in it. That said, she recognises this is simply a personal value judgement. She has no philosophical problem with me playing games and understands the reasons I enjoy it. They just don't apply to her.
    Wow, sounds exactly like my SO. She doesn't like fantasy or scifi movies either.

  5. #105
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    456
    Both me and my fiancée game. I'm a gaming addict and I'm very happy and proud to be while he's a bit more of a normal gamer.

    He recently finished Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 while I'm currently addicted to DotA2 (have been addicted to DotA since early on WC3), we don't usually cross over in our gaming likes but occasionally we will play a racing game or football game together for a laugh. We completed one of the Army of 2 games together but stuff like that usually causes us problems as I want it on hard and he wants it on normal.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Wow, sounds exactly like my SO. She doesn't like fantasy or scifi movies either.
    Yeah she has a sort of irritated reaction to it if we're watching it together. I think it rankles her less if the setting is relatively realistic - sort of near-future stuff - but more comic book style stuff she can't stand.

  7. #107
    I can sometimes get my wife to play PC games if they have a good co-op mode. As a Mario veteran from girlhood, she likes platformers, and she's also a big puzzle fan, but she isn't averse to shooting and 'whacking' as she puts it if it isn't too realistic. So we finished Tomb Raider: Guardian of Light together, and have played a bit of Portal 2 (which neither of us were smart enough for), Trine, and Rayman: Origins. She also loved the Little Big Planet games on the PS3. But she's never been attracted by FPS or action games, although she's sometimes watched me play them. She is however absolutely awesome at Lumines, to the point where she reset the scoreboard on the PSP version. She likes some casual stuff like Zuma on the iPad, but her main thing these days is the iPhone 5 which she is now completely hooked on. Her current obsession is Drop 7, a number puzzle game. I'd like to play more of the kinds of games I'm into with her but at least she gets the video gaming obsession and is happy for me to play whatever I like without thinking its weird.

  8. #108
    Network Hub deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    U.S. East
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTangent View Post
    Yeah she has a sort of irritated reaction to it if we're watching it together. I think it rankles her less if the setting is relatively realistic - sort of near-future stuff - but more comic book style stuff she can't stand.
    My wife generally dislikes sci-fi, but will watch and enjoy The Walking Dead.

    I'd call that even.

  9. #109
    Lesser Hivemind Node L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    I'd call that even.
    Heh, me too. We usually watch series like Downton Abbey together (I really, REALLY like that series though, don't get me wrong).

  10. #110
    My whole family is playing, my wife on iPhone, older son on PC, and younger son on everything what has got touch screen.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    My wife generally dislikes sci-fi, but will watch and enjoy The Walking Dead.

    I'd call that even.
    Watched the first few episodes of The Walking Dead and loved it, but somehow the rest has passed me by. Must get it on DVD or something at some point.

    My current project is Game of Thrones. I've got the entire first season on DVD from my brother, and am attempting to convince my better half that watching it beginning to end would be an excellent use of a weekend :P

  12. #112
    Activated Node Kyndylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Prope Tripontium
    Posts
    67
    My wife got totally hooked on both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age: Origins, Portal and Portal 2, Terraria and The Sims 3. There were weeks where I barely got a look in, either in terms of time at the PC, or any attention whatsoever!

    Other than that, though, she seems fairly ambivalent. I know she used to play Age of Empires when she was a kid, as well as some console games (Nintendo 64 I think - Donkey Kong and the like).

    She has no interest/aptitude in shooters, and even Mass Effect didn't do it for her.

    No doubt at some point Fallout 4 or something similar will come out, and she'll be lost to the world for another couple of weeks. In the meantime, she at least expresses an interest in what I'm playing, which is nice!
    On Steam - Kyndylan

  13. #113
    Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    925
    My wife used to like Super Mario and Super Mario Kart. But now she sorta feels games are a waste of time, though she can passively watch a stream of endless crapola on TV. Oh well. Games didn't bring us together and they won't tear us apart.

    My daughter isn't quite two years old yet and she has some sort of Leapfrog, cartridge-based portable gaming system. It has a D-pad and a touch screen, with at least four buttons on the face. She quite likes this one bit in a Minnie Mouse game where touching a kitty makes it meow.

  14. #114
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTangent View Post
    My partner plays casual games on her phone - the sort that you can interact with for 5 minutes, set a load of stuff going, then check it again a few hours later to collect rewards - but not on PC/console. She would see "hardcore" gaming as a waste of her time. The whole suspension of disbelief thing, experiencing something vicariously through a video game character, is not something she can particularly relate to. It's the same with her taste in movies/books. The more fantastical something is, the more "silly" she feels it is. For her, there's no personal value in entertainment media unless they're grounded in reality. If she see's something as completely implausible, then she can't see the point in it. That said, she recognises this is simply a personal value judgement. She has no philosophical problem with me playing games and understands the reasons I enjoy it. They just don't apply to her.
    Really similar to my girlfriend. She's not that harsh with sci-fi, but she can't get fantasy at all. She even watched lord of the rings and got none of the story.

    She likes some casual games though, such as sims 3 and plants vs zombies, and ocasionally plays some of her childhood games such as caesar and twinsens odissey. But aside that, nothing.

    But she's totally fine with my gaming habit.

  15. #115
    Lesser Hivemind Node L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    though she can passively watch a stream of endless crapola on TV. Oh well. Games didn't bring us together and they won't tear us apart.
    Heh, that sounds familiar too.

  16. #116
    Activated Node Fireflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Malmö, Sweden
    Posts
    76
    Maybe you both can play erotic games? :)

  17. #117
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireflower View Post
    Maybe you both can play erotic games? :)
    And on the computer!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  18. #118
    Lesser Hivemind Node L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And on the computer!
    DRM free, I hope.

  19. #119
    Obscure Node Evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6
    I'm a girl and i started playing games because of my boyfriend. He wanted us to play WOW together. Now we both are bored with WOW and play different games - he likes MMO more and I like FPS :)

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by kapuft View Post
    Really similar to my girlfriend. She's not that harsh with sci-fi, but she can't get fantasy at all. She even watched lord of the rings and got none of the story.

    She likes some casual games though, such as sims 3 and plants vs zombies, and ocasionally plays some of her childhood games such as caesar and twinsens odissey. But aside that, nothing.

    But she's totally fine with my gaming habit.
    I think my gf takes the view that me gaming for a couple of hours gives her some peace and quiet. ;)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •