Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    @Nalano More people need to experience the joys of non passive entertainment. Yes, some people do drama or sport but you honestly believe the world would be richer without grandmothers who use kingmaker-deceit builds in Solium Infernum and ply you with conspiracy over sunday dinner?
    Or bus drivers, who go home and spend half an hour loaded into the back of an APC in Arma bickering about the drivers bad driving over mumble?
    What a grey little world.
    I can't tell whether this is sarcastic, not sarcastic, or some hip new form of Schrodinger's sarcasm where not even you know whether this was meant ironically and its transcendent position of being both satirical and sincere simultaneously is a reflection on our own world where image influences reality to the point of supplanting it.

At any rate, each answer depresses me.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Also known as "brag about your girlfriend thread".

Pics or it didn't happen !
    pass

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I would not encourage any of the people I know and respect to take up gaming. Indeed, some of the most productive and fulfilling portions of my life were when I've too little time to game. This is an addiction like alcohol, except alcohol consumption is usually more social.
    Didncha know? Serious gaming is an enriching and deceptively deep pastime that people just don't understand, man.

This is exactly why it's predominantly populated with entitled shits who can't approach any topic with sincerity, dress hate-spewing up with "humorous" irony, regress into social isolation despite endlessly burgeoning communities at a high point of the medium's scope, and lobby viciously for the recognition of their medium of having artistic merit while having no context, appreciation, or caring for what constitutes art in the first place.

Why wouldn't you recommend it to those you respect? There's so much more disappointment to go around to those who have the time to listen!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Tell me what games do you play and I'll tell you who you are.
    pass

The only game my wive ever got into was Trackmania. At times she just wouldn't stop playing, her answers were monosyllabic and vague, her gaze absent and hollow. That was when I realised I have to get her into more exciting games!
    So far the following attempts have been fruitless:

- Portal 2 (I even went through the trouble of setting up Split-Screen)
    - Trine 2
    - The Walking Dead
    - Dirt 2
    - Ignition (best racing game ever!)

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Tell me what games do you play and I'll tell you who you are.
    This is actually worthy of its own thread. Alright, you tell me:

(selection of the most recently played games)
    Natural Selection 2
    Brütal Legend
    Dishonored
    Jedi Knight
    Little Big Adventure

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Rayman: Origins.

That is all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I can't tell whether this is sarcastic, not sarcastic, or some hip new form of Schrodinger's sarcasm. At any rate, each answer depresses me.
    It's more idealism than sarcasm. Gaming could *ideally* be a way to have involving player steered narratives, multiplayer games could be great way to interact with distant people.

Instead we have grinding, quick time events and spawn campers.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

My wife is a casual gamer. She enjoys puzzle games on the PC, DS, Wii but she's never going to be into something like Skyrim or Mass Effect. Even if the story interested her, she just doesn't find that kind of gameplay fun. I find this works out pretty well in terms of the relationship as there is some cross over, there are games we can both play together, but she still has her own hobbies and I have mine. Before I was married I was in a few relationships with women who were really into gaming and if anything it had a negative effect. Probably that is merely confirmation bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    Didncha know? Serious gaming is an enriching and deceptively deep pastime that people just don't understand, man.
    I hear it's so hip to hate your chosen pastime.

Banned
    I can't tell whether this is sarcastic, not sarcastic, or some hip new form of Schrodinger's sarcasm where not even you know whether this was meant ironically and its transcendent position of being both satirical and sincere simultaneously is a reflection on our own world where image influences reality to the point of supplanting it.

At any rate, each answer depresses me.
    After reading this, my new and only goal in life is to perfect Schrodinger's Sarcasm. Its like regular sarcasm but more complex and elitist so I can lord it over the sarcasm plebs and their more pedestrian form of condescension.

With regular sarcasm the target's face collapses in shame. With this their face collapses and then keeps collapsing until they fold in on themselves and disappear. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "I'm going to destroy you." The literal one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Too much normal in this thread.

Banned
    I could un-normal it if you want. I have the power.

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    I could un-normal it if you want. I have the power.
    I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    After reading this, my new and only goal in life is to perfect Schrodinger's Sarcasm. Its like regular sarcasm but more complex and elitist so I can lord it over the sarcasm plebs and their more pedestrian form of condescension.
    I think it's already upon us.

If I were to wantonly and irresponsibly make a judgement on gamer sociology, I'd posit that a significant subset of gamers are afraid of sincerity or being honest about this stuff being harmful in a social perspective. Hey, they're into escapism after all; that's kinda the point of their gaming. As such the idea of being investigated is a foreign and hostile notion to them, even if the medium desperately needs investigation. What it reminds me of is the "tits or gtfo" or "I see what's wrong with the pic: she's not in the kitchen" memes: Jokes that are used "ironically," with full implication of the quotation marks, where they use irony as a smokescreen to try and get away with saying shit that they want to be maintained as the status quo while also self-righteously pretending to take a progressive perspective.

Similarly, it pertains to the "games are art" crowd, where gamers seek the benefits of the Art label to legitimize their habits but the vast majority of the culture does little to examine and critique the medium beyond "Dude, MGS2 is, like, such a mindfuck, man." True confrontation is rare and either slathered in fanservice honey to make it palatable to the straight white male 18-25 bracket or so far up its own ass that it's more a reflection of the cynical pretense of its creators than an actual statement to the world - which is to say we act like it's progress when our ass-kicking, cigar-chomping, mass-murdering marine has tits, or we get a giant stamp that says ART put on a forgettable mound of sepia-toned crap.

This is what I believe Roger Ebert sees when he denigrates gaming as an art form.
    Last edited by Nalano; 30-03-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    I hear it's so hip to hate your chosen pastime.
    If you're not meeting every piece of enjoyment in your life with at least some scrutiny, alternative perspective, and attempts at improvement, you're doin' it wrong.

I think it's already upon us.

If I were to wantonly and irresponsibly make a judgement on gamer sociology, I'd posit that a significant subset of gamers are afraid of sincerity or being honest about this stuff being harmful in a social perspective. Hey, they're into escapism after all; that's kinda the point of their gaming. As such the idea of being investigated is a foreign and hostile notion to them, even if the medium desperately needs investigation. What it reminds me of is the "tits or gtfo" or "I see what's wrong with the pic: she's not in the kitchen" memes: Jokes that are used "ironically," with full implication of the quotation marks, where they use irony as a smokescreen to try and get away with saying shit that they want to be maintained as the status quo while also self-righteously pretending to take a progressive perspective.

Similarly, it pertains to the "games are art" crowd, where gamers seek the benefits of the Art label to legitimize their habits but the vast majority of the culture does little to examine and critique the medium beyond "Dude, MGS2 is, like, such a mindfuck, man." True confrontation is rare and either slathered in fanservice honey to make it palatable to the straight white male 18-25 bracket or so far up its own ass that it's more a reflection of the cynical pretense of its creators than an actual statement to the world - which is to say we act like it's progress when our ass-kicking, cigar-chomping, mass-murdering marine has tits, or we get a giant stamp that says ART put on a forgettable mound of sepia-toned crap.

This is what I believe Roger Ebert sees when he denigrates gaming as an art form.
    Expand on that first paragraph. What do you believe is harmful in a social perspective? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious as to what you think.

For me, it's the opposite. Without games I'd probably have no friends. I'm too much of a loser to have any real life friends (friends I've had have all "grown up" and have careers and families). Most of my social interaction is with people I've met through gaming or my other hobby. Does this perpetuate my problem further? Perhaps, but gaming wasn't the cause of it. I've always been kind of a social misfit, it was only when I did drugs that I could fit in with people. The internet and more specifically gaming has allowed me to find friends that are more or less like me who I can fit in with without having to pretend to be someone I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Good luck with your quest, as in my experience if you've been together four years and she still doesn't share gaming as an interest that's not likely to change in the future.
    This.

People who have had a past interest in games can lured back in on occasion, as for the others, the best I've managed is to get them temporarily interested in something specific.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    If you're not meeting every piece of enjoyment in your life with at least some scrutiny, alternative perspective, and attempts at improvement, you're doin' it wrong.
    That kinda applies to everything in one's life, not just enjoyment. I however fail to see how your previous post could be classified as "scrutiny, alternative perspective, and attempts at improvement", unless of course you consider poor sarcasm to be just that.

Network Hub
    some hip new form of Schrodinger's sarcasm where not even you know whether this was meant ironically and its transcendent position of being both satirical and sincere simultaneously is a reflection on our own world where image influences reality to the point of supplanting it.
    I'm pretty sure the Simpsons did that joke years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Expand on that first paragraph. What do you believe is harmful in a social perspective? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious as to what you think.

For me, it's the opposite. Without games I'd probably have no friends. I'm too much of a loser to have any real life friends (friends I've had have all "grown up" and have careers and families). Most of my social interaction is with people I've met through gaming or my other hobby. Does this perpetuate my problem further? Perhaps, but gaming wasn't the cause of it. I've always been kind of a social misfit, it was only when I did drugs that I could fit in with people. The internet and more specifically gaming has allowed me to find friends that are more or less like me who I can fit in with without having to pretend to be someone I'm not.
    One of my favorite gaming buddies is a dude from Long Island who would have drank himself to death at this point - and I'm talking tearing up the LIE at a buck twenty on a motorcycle while blind drunk, waking up inside a bush across from his home, motorcycle some fifty feet away - had he not gone full hog into World of Warcraft. For him, gaming was a net positive use of his free time. But the same principle applies: It is a distraction - in this case from his self-destructive habits - but not an end in itself.

More commonly I encounter folks who say they would not have social lives were it not for gaming but it becomes a self-serving prophecy: They have no social lives because they never go out, and gaming facilitates that. No positive habits can manifest because they are caught in an escapist world and such is enough. It's the digital equivalent to being a pothead: All they wanna to is smoke pot. Smoke before work, smoke as soon as they get home from work, smoke all day on the weekends. Is it any wonder nothing ever progresses?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl