Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Light eh? Well, I'll give it a shot! If nothing else, this tournament is exposing me to modes I generally don't otherwise play. [EDIT]: Ah, I see it looks like Dark Charge is ahead anyway... Nonetheless, the point stands, only ever played charge as part of this tourney as well...

@ColOfNature - So what happens with the relegation for us this round? Maetco placed below us, but he didn't show up, and we came equal last so is it off to division 2 for both of us? I suppose that would make sense unless Maetco returns, in which case presumably he would be relegated, but which of us?
    Last edited by bonuswavepilot; 02-04-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: notice

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I decided it made as much sense to do the relegations before eliminating any players as the other way around, and that I've a better chance of winning some games in division 2 (if I wasn't involved I'd be a bit less arbitrary about it). So Maetco and I get relegated and Satek and Majic are promoted.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Also Maetco - I forgot he never showed.
    Hey! I finished 1 match (which actually was against you) before I got ill. I'll accept a relegation for it but not a banishment.

Quote Originally Posted by CherryPhosphate View Post
    I don't agree that it's less tactical - it's just a different type of challenge. Dark is more about hiding and spotting, Light is more about bluffing and carefully constructing your turns (i.e. using two mooks to distract a sniper while a third gets a kill shot)
    I actually have to support smalltrouble on this one. Light imo is less tactical because it's more about psychology. I've said before that Dark is something like 40 %, tactics 40 % psychology and 20 % general gameplay knowledge. I would say that Light is about 20 % tactics, 60 % psychology and 20 % general gameplay knowledge.

Sorry Maetco, consider yourself un-banished!

Activated Node
    Maetco and ColOfNature is in division 2!!? O dear... Division 2 is: ColOfNature, Zlabi, Maetco, Rond, RodeoClown and me! Are you kidding? It's m-m... 1% chance to stay here for me!
    Last edited by VitBeaver; 02-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Network Hub
    I'm going to be Div 3 I imagine... that upload really stuffed me up bad :S
    Find me on Steam
    By day I work making the world's best budgeting software. Check it out!

Network Hub
    Actually, it appears it stuffed up a few people, looks like Div 2 has me in it
    Find me on Steam

You're still in 2 because Scozzers and Hammers were no-shows so they get relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Sorry Maetco, consider yourself un-banished!
    Weeee!

A suggestion: Could we add a column for nationality/area/location/you know what I mean?

Is it too late for me to join? I'll send you a PM with my email

No problem, well be starting later today.

Last chance for Scozzers, Hammers, Raeynn and Gtsbaby to make their intentions known... Are you out there, chaps?

Two things:

First of all: I know I said we'd start today, but it's been another one of those days (hopefully the last such for a while) and I'm bushed, so I'll start Season 19 first thing tomorrow morning. Sorry about that.

Secondly: Frozen Synapse on iPad - final beta. And it's officially confirmed for Android now, which is awesome. Not sure I like the icons plastered over the screen like that, particularly if it's the same on a smaller display. But hey: FS on my Nexus 7. This pleases me.

By the way, I assume most of us know about them but in the video he mentions zones and sightlines. On PC, hold T (I think?) while selecting a region to draw a zone - I don't think they appear until after you release the button. Your opponent will be able to see them from the next turn. You can make units focus on or ignore zones. (Or just draw 'em to confuse your opponent. It's very annoying.) And hold V to see the line of sight for the active unit/waypoint. The line changes slightly when through cover.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 03-04-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: i grammar good

Network Hub
    The sight line also shows if the opposing unit is out of range.
    Even snipers can be out of range on a looooong map.
    Find me on Steam

"On PC, hold T (I think?) while selecting a region to draw a zone - I don't think they appear until after you release the button."

Does this actually work? I once tried to create zones but nothing happened and figured that they had removed them completely until they are fixed, since there was a lot of complaining about them not workin properly.

Network Hub
    Yep, they definitely work. I've used them in the past (not too often though).
    Find me on Steam

I had no idea these zone things even existed! I should really re-visit the wiki and see what else I'm missing...
    Also, FS on Android! That sounds like a new contender for train gaming.

Activated Node
    Hi everybody! This season i'll nominate 5 greatest game of season18 Problem is that my enter button on keyboard is broken. And now - videos:1 BigBobr99 vs Cimethink(great game(exualy for first place)where winer was chosen by fuw miliseconds:http://youtu.be/hb1_pjp6YLE. ;2ColOfNature vs BigBobr99(game whit all mutators!) http://youtu.be/_yXU9lU4f3c ;3Majic vs RodeoClown(two good players was playing on almost uncoverd map) http://youtu.be/PWxezcLdIyY ;4SergBeaver vs CherryPhospate(MG+shield run from me+cherry's absolutly confidence wouldn't stop my run=interesting game) http://youtu.be/zxgYwy9QyaA ;5purdz vs Self (i think that this is greatest game of division 4) http://youtu.be/eTt2BHiEnTw! I vote for game2 ColOfNature vs BigBobr99!
    Last edited by VitBeaver; 04-04-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: grammer mistakes

Season N-n-n-n-nineteen!

Here are the tables for Season 19. It's your responsibility to issue a challenge for each time you're listed as Player 1 in this list. You play each opponent once, but you may choose to reverse any challenge you receive if you think it's unbalanced. Instructions will follow in the next post.

Game rules and league procedures

1) Each game must conform to the following settings:

Mode: Light Extermination
    Turn limit: 8 turns
    Turn duration: five seconds per turn (i.e. 5000 milliseconds - this is the default setting)
    Visibility: Full (DON'T FORGET!)
    Team strength: four men per player
    Team requirements: at least one explosive (rocket or grenade) unit. Otherwise it ends up being a camp-a-thon. Be aware that some players have requested that the teams be identical. It's up to you whether you want to honour this request or not. See the Notes at the end of the next post for who those players are.
    Mutators: at the challenger's discretion
    Server: UK1 is preferred, but any is acceptable

Any game that does not conform to these rules will be void and must be replayed (although certain exceptions will be allowed - see the next post). You may not reuse maps - a new map must be generated for each opponent. Please see the next post if you're not sure how to create a game with the correct settings, and post in this thread if you are in any doubt.

2) After creating each game the challenger must announce the challenge in this thread. Format: "Player1 has challenged Player2 in game X".

Example: "ColOfNature has challenged Xune in 123456"

If your game is on a server other than UK1, please include this info too.

Example: "ColOfNature has challenged Xune in 123456 on the Texas server"

3) After each game has been completed, Player 1 must report the result in this thread. Standard format: "Winner has defeated Opponent in game game X with a score of Y".

Example: "Xune has defeated ColOfNature in game 123456 with a score of 90".

In the event of a draw, the format is "Player1 and Player2 have drawn in game X"

Example: "ColOfNature and Xune have drawn in game 123456"

I will update the spreadsheet with the result of each game. Scores will be as normal: 3 pts for a win, 1 for a draw.

4) Challengers may start issuing their challenges from today (Thursday 04 April). All games should be completed by the end of Sunday 21 April, although extensions are almost a certainty.

5) We're all reasonable people, when pressed, so some flexibility will be applied. If you're going to be on holiday, or travelling to distant worlds, or otherwise restricted in your availability, please post in this thread and we will try to accommodate you as far as is reasonably practical.

6) Try to start your games in the first week and finish them early. Players leaving it to the last minute to issue a challenge or submit orders risk forfeiting the game. If any game is unfinished by the deadline I will declare both parties personae-non-grata and award your points to whoever strikes me as most deserving, by whatever criteria I consider appropriate at the time.

7) Any circumstances not catered for in these rules will be handled according to some combination of common sense, consensus, iron-fisted authoritarianism and whim. Mostly the latter.

Finally, a polite reminder that although PMing your email address to me is optional, it will make organisation easier so please consider doing so if you haven't already.

The divisions and rules for season 20 will be arranged some time after the close of season 19.

Also, if I've missed anything important or anything isn't clear then post below, PM me or email me either at ColOfNature or RockPaperSynapse on gmail to let me know.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 05-04-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: update number of turns per game

How to issue a challenge and other stuff

1) Log in to the server (usually UK1, although you may choose/be asked to use a different server - see Notes below for info)
    2) Click the 'Online' button at the top of the screen
    3) Click 'Create a game'
    4) Click the 'Advanced setup' button
    5) Click the 'Generate Extermination' button
    6) Make sure you have at least one rocket or grenade unit, and that the teams aren't too silly, or are identical if that's what you're going for. if it doesn't look right then repeat step 5 until you're satisfied. You may manually edit the teams to achieve balance if necessary.
    7) Click the 'Continue' button
    8) Ensure that the 'Game mode' is set to 'Extermination'
    9) Ensure that the 'Vis mode' is set to 'Full'
    10) Ensure that the 'Turn limit' is set to 8 and the 'Turn length' to 5000.
    11) Activate Mutators, if you like.
    12) Enter your opponent's username (and make sure "I play side 1" is selected immediately below this).
    13) Enter 'RPS League' or something suitable so that your opponent knows it's for this league
    14) Click the 'Submit' button
    15) Take your first turn and note the challenge in this thread, using the format in the post directly above this one

To reverse a challenge if you think it's unfair:
    1) Make a note of the game number and which mutators are active
    2) Find the map file in your Frozen Synapse install folder, e.g. "\FrozenSynapse\psychoff\data\encounters\
    refGAMENUMBERHERE.enc" and copy it to the folder"\FrozenSynapse\psychoff\data\userlevels\"
    3) Follow steps 1 to 5 above, then click the Load Level button.
    4) Enter the name of the map, e.g. "refGAMENUMBERHERE" (I think you can omit the .enc extension).
    5) Follow steps 7 onwards above - don't forget to activate the same mutators as your opponent had.

If anything goes wrong, don't worry! Just issue the correct challenges and let your opponent know which is the correct game so they can ignore the faulty one(s!) (which will eventually be deleted from your list if no-one takes a turn, and can be hidden until this happens).

Notes
    There have been some individual requests in past rounds which I'm happy to allow in principle:

Firstly, Maetco and raeynn prefer their matches to have identical teams so if you don't mind doing so you can edit the units in the setup screen so that both teams contain the same units. I think this will be a non-issue with Upload, but I'll leave it in anyway.

Secondly, due to Radiant/Majic's very high ranking on server UK1 and the fact that playing game modes other than Extermination will artificially increase his overall ranking still further (for complicated reasons which I'm sure he'll explain if asked, although there's some discussion of it in the Season 16 thread), he'd prefer to play any games on the Texas server.

Compliance with these requests is optional, but appreciated. If you have any requests which would not fundamentally alter the nature of the tournament or provide you with an unfair advantage they will be given due consideration.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 05-04-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: update number of turns per game