Thread: Bloodborne

Bloodborne

IS OUT!

I picked the cane as my starting weapon. It has the lowest damage stats but it feels oh-so-appropriate for walking around town and giving ghouls and monsters a proper trashing with. World design is really nice, it loops around and lets you unlock paths back to earlier areas/savepoints a lot. And it's properly hard.

So who else is playing it? Let's try to keep this thread somewhat spoiler free.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Can I talk conspiracy theory for a minute, feel free to smack me down if you can disprove it.

Was Dark Souls 2 released in a rush to comply with the demands of Bloodborne? And now we are expecting an improved edition now they are done making Bloodborne for Sony?

Essentially, Dark Souls 2 was put on hold, albeit posts release?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Can I talk conspiracy theory for a minute, feel free to smack me down if you can disprove it.

Was Dark Souls 2 released in a rush to comply with the demands of Bloodborne? And now we are expecting an improved edition now they are done making Bloodborne for Sony?

just wait the the change of name to sequel this on every platform (might take a while as ps4 doesn't seem to have much to offer atm)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Dark Souls 2 was made by a larger team than the first game. According to the exhaustive NeoGAF thread, the director, lead programmer, and most of the design staff was taken off Dark Souls 2 (presumably to work on Bloodborne) and replaced with a sweatshop. I won't belabor any more poignant insight on the nature of design-by-committee.

Hopefully Dark Souls 2 can brook some repair.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I don't think this will be ported to PC no matter how popular it would become. Sony is not known for permitting its Playstation exclusives, first-party or third party, to be ported to other platforms, unless that third-party developer is influential as Square who can defy Sony's will.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I don't think this will be ported to PC no matter how popular it would become. Sony is not known for permitting its Playstation exclusives, first-party or third party, to be ported to other platforms, unless that third-party developer is influential as Square who can defy Sony's will.
    No, but just as Dark Souls was flagrantly the sequel to Demon Souls, we might well see a Soul Borne arrive on PC... Geddit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    IS OUT!

I picked the cane as my starting weapon. It has the lowest damage stats but it feels oh-so-appropriate for walking around town and giving ghouls and monsters a proper trashing with. World design is really nice, it loops around and lets you unlock paths back to earlier areas/savepoints a lot. And it's properly hard.

So who else is playing it? Let's try to keep this thread somewhat spoiler free.
    Been posting in the PS News thread :)

It's much harder... the funny thing is the beginning where the game generously donates you potions.... well that ends and then the enemies become even more difficult.... >.>

It's much harder, but the pace is the best change... and so are the enemies they put in the world that are on par/better than the player character, and don't hide it. It's like those red knight things in Demon's/Dark Souls except worse.... >.>

Just got out of the city area (which is quite huge) in the first world (and unlocked the third world where everything trashes me without problem.... in a very odd way I won't spoil....). Game area seems very big.

The AI is just relentless it's nuts. Two of the bosses I needed help to beat with online mode lmao. I got lucky on one that fell off a _____ and killed himself XD

I chose the War Veteran class and went with the Blunderbuss and Meat Cleaver starting weapons also...... mainly because I wanted to be the same character as in the promotional videos :P

Really like the combo, the blunderbuss counterattacks are so fun, and the meat cleaver weapon-morphing while attacking is sweet, you get quite a bit of bonus damage from doing it, but you sacrifice some speed of your attacks.

Btw ---> to do that you press R1 for first attack, then just mash L1 after that and it will keep morphing, so it's not too complicated, not sure if it's different for the other weapons though.

This is what I got so far screenies wise... I'll try to stay away from the spoilery ones.

They had a second team working on Dark Souls 2. The primary/first team worked on Bloodborne. So whatever you want that to mean basically.

No, but just as Dark Souls was flagrantly the sequel to Demon Souls, we might well see a Soul Borne arrive on PC... Geddit?
    The circumstances that led to Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 on PC were special, as one of my Steam friends reminded me. Sony never planned to bring Demon's Souls to EU or US after publishing it in Japan, so FROM had to find a publisher to release in those territories Shuhei Yoshida in particular was probably the one who made the decision not to publish outside Japan, because he did not believe the game would be popular in other territories.

In any case they found another publisher in Atlus who brought it to the West (same publisher as Muramasa, Odin Sphere, Persona, Abyss Oddsey, Dragon's Crown, many more small cult hits). Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 were published by Namco Bandai after that, and before Dark Souls 2 released Sony and FROM made a deal to make another exclusive game for PS4 that ended up as Bloodborne.

It is still possible for future Souls games to come to PC, it really depends on what relationship Sony and FROM may or may not have going forward. We probably won't know the outcome for a while. They might choose to continue with Sony exclusively as a second party for a next game, or they may choose to find a third party publisher for their next game to bring a new title to multiple platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Yes defiance has everything to do with it.... or not.

If the contract/deal they work out makes it an exclusive, it will stay exclusive, that's really all it is.....

Squaresoft/Square-Enix has been, for the most part, self-publishing their titles and it has been their decision to make most of their games exclusive for Sony platforms in the past. They have never actually been exclusive to PlayStation.

Square-Enix has not been making deals to make exclusive games for PlayStation since Final Fantasy VII, and even that wasn't written to be completely exclusive as Eidos was able to publish a PC version very soon after. That was a 1997 release that Sony co-published in *some* territories with then Square Electronic Arts.
    Last edited by rockman29; Today at 04:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Hopefully Dark Souls 2 can brook some repair.
    You're aware there's an updated version of DS2 coming for consoles soon? That might make it's way to PC, though I'm not sure what the full changes are. I believe it's more of a GOTY version than anything else.

DS2 was made by the B team while BB was made by the A team. I haven't played BB yet because I'm European and have to adhere to decades old trade industry standards so I'm not saying BB is the better game, but take of it what you will.

Sometimes the "B" teams put out a better game though. We've all played New Vegas.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

@Henke and yea good comment on the world design.

A few of my friends were very early in the game and were worried that the game became very linear.... but if you are in the same spot, not to worry.... after a few more hours the game world really opens up. Tons of shortcuts and hidden paths and like a proper Souls game or even say Resident Evil.... it opens up in a very deliberate way, tons to explore for sure and I'm still in the first world.

The art and level design is top notch. Level design is really, really strong.... art absolutely stands out above and beyond though.

The only thing I've noticed so far is that the game is not the most technically sound, and compared to it's contemporary PS4 titles it lacks a lot of the next-gen shader effects and there is a noticeable amount of aliasing at all times, but much of this is hidden behind the impeccable art which is really the star of the visuals.

Edit - just figured out how to run... hold Circle while moving..... yes it's been a long time for me on these games >.>
    Last edited by rockman29; Today at 04:46 PM.

Was Dark Souls 2 released in a rush to comply with the demands of Bloodborne?
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    They had a second team working on Dark Souls 2. The primary/first team worked on Bloodborne. So whatever you want that to mean basically.
    Thought I'll add for Helio that Prolar Bear has posted this interview in the WYP thread about DaS2. It's fairly long and I'm a long way from finishing it:

Yes, this game actually went through quite a troubled development process. Due to a number of factors we were actually forced to re-think the entire game midway into development. We really had to go back to the drawing board and think once more about what a Dark Souls game should be. It was at that point that I took on my current role, overseeing the entirety of the game including the art direction.
    Last edited by alms; Today at 06:05 PM.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"
    "when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies"

Also to add to DS2, that updated version is going to be patched into the current PC one and they're going to see another version of it that will work with DX11.

"Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

The DX9/DX11 distinction is confusing me: does that mean existing owners will not get the DX11 version and thus the changes specific to it?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"
    "when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    The DX9/DX11 distinction is confusing me: does that mean existing owners will not get the DX11 version and thus the changes specific to it?
    If you own DS2 as it is now, you get the balance updates, the new npcs. You don't get the graphical improvements.

If you buy the Scholars of the First Sin Edition, you get whatever your card supports (DX9/11).

So for people not interested in rebuying the game, you get nothing listed as "DX11 only".

So no, existing owners will not get any advantage from having a DX11 card unless they buy the new edition.

Steam ID

This is how I feel when I'm doing good just before....

...a boss let me know that when I thought I was about to win.... I really wasn't even fighting it yet.

Thanks, game. >.>

Tried to go back to get my echoes, but then all the mental errors on the way their and nope.