Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    have to second Infilration​ never played a game that ramps up the excitement so smoothly and so well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Lots of Galaxy Trucker, repeatedly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I saw the Shut U and Sit Down play of Galaxy Trucker and it looks a bit to much of a solitaire multiplayer game, usually they do not like these kind of games so I am surprised they hold it up highly. Am I wrong in this assesment of the game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mage Knight Lost Legions expansion.

First game we did not quite understand the Knock Out rule. Fighting a army of 6-7 can get interesting.

We played Volkare's Quest and Epic on the easiest settings and still barely beat them

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I saw the Shut U and Sit Down play of Galaxy Trucker and it looks a bit to much of a solitaire multiplayer game, usually they do not like these kind of games so I am surprised they hold it up highly. Am I wrong in this assesment of the game?
    A wee bit. The most you do to other people is pass on things so that they affect other people etc.

2 people is fine but you need more really. The first bit where you build the ship and the first person to be happy controls the egg timer and gets the first go.... that is tense. It's like fighting over LEGO when you're a kid.

It also plays very fast and is quite action packed.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The weird and wonderful thing about it is that it is largely a solitaire style multiplayer game, but it never actually *feels* like a solitaire multiplayer game. It's the failure is fun thing; though you've little to no direct influence over what happens once the ships are built, watching another player limp home or seeing their ship blown apart before it gets there is as much fun as actually playing.

Finally got around to getting the expansion for Eclipse, so been playing that a lot of late. Really impressed with it. It's modular and only actually adds a few additional bits and bobs, but it punches well above it's weight in terms of changing the game (for the better too).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am glad I do not follow Board Game Kickstarters. I have a small board game library as it is but when things like:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...m?ref=category

Exist, there is to much temptation to spend spend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's a couple of differences. The ship-building phase seems like solitaire to start with, as you each build your individual ships, BUT the first person to finish starts a timer for everyone else, and when you flip a tile you can either use it or put it back face up. So you can always steal that tile someone else left near their board.

Then the other part of the game, the actual flight, in terms of game rules the interaction is limited BUT the reality is that you're watching your opponent's ship carefully just waiting for it to fall apart so you can laugh in his face. It'd possible to not do that, to just focus on your own ship and at the end you all declare your points, but doing that would be missing the point. Again certain rules encourage this - for example you roll to see what column of the ship a meteor hits, and then it is hitting everyone in that column. So you know if you roll an 8 your opponent is screwed, but if you roll a 5 then half your crew is dead, which can lead to some tense moments.

Even though it's essentially solitaire, the game rules facilitate trash talk and interaction without providing it directly. Which is all quite cool as you get that enjoyable, raucous, humourous atmosphere from it, without people actually directly screwing other people over (which can also be fun, but in some groups can mean some people getting upset).

That's cool I can understand that actually.

Unfortunately I'm in an area that doesn't have any near by boardgame shop or anyone to play boardgames with...im feeling very bad withdrawal symptoms!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Tokaido! I just received this game for my birthday and played it tonight. I might be more enthusiastic about things than usual because of all the sugar and lack of sleep, but I found this game to be unique and exciting (in a meditative "savor this gourmet tofu for extra points" kind of way) and also all of the game components are aesthetically pleasing to the point where I would hang them all on a wall except that doing so would impede the playing.

It is a game about walking along a famous ancient Japanese road and having the best and most fulfilling journey along the way. "Fulfilling" means lots of things...it could mean buying sweet trinkets, or eating gourmet foods, or gazing at delightful vistas, or meeting interesting people, or taking nice long hot baths. One of the characters you can be is an elderly man whose special bonus is that he really just appreciates those hot baths more than everyone else. Bonus points for baths. I could have picked that guy, but instead I picked a wealthy priest who's somehow able to donate money to temples (also a fulfilling activity in Tokaido) without actually spending his money. It's a miracle!

I alsowas given Small World, which others have mentioned. I've played once before but had forgotten just how many cardboard pieces it contains! (So many skellingtons). Tomorrow I will hopefully play it and see if the 2-player mode works well.

I should try 2 player Tokaido, too. (Though some of the friendly "hey I keep bumping into all the same other tourists on my long hike! hi again, tourist stranger friend" atmosphere might suffer loss in a head-to-head match :P).
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Time to resurrect this thread!

I've been buying and playing a lot of games recently ("curse" you Shut up & Sit down!):

- Archipelago:
    I'm utterly in love with this game. Despite the murky manual that is, for now and then it's utterly unclear about rules, or too general, without mentioning exceptions. But the game is really rich, and the hidden objectives, resources and game-ending-conditions make for a very different game each game. And while it's not the shortest game, the game shines with 4 / 5 players, making you very suspicious about every move your opponents make. "Ah, you harvested pineapples and won't sell them, so you have 'most pineapples' as your goal, eh?" "Wait, how many did you sell to the market? Do you have any left??" "why are you building a town there?!"

- Love Letter:
    The ideal filler game, which can be explained in 2 minutes, seems stupidly simple, but still makes you think about your next move. Though luck sometimes is a female dog. But so far it's a guaranteed hit with everyone I played it with, and an avarage game won't last much longer then 15 minutes, so the female dog part does is easily forgotten when lady luck smiles again.

- Rack'o:
    An ancient game of putting numbers in the right order. Having numbers sequenced without gaps (for examples; 9, 10, 11) makes your final score much higher. But the problem is that the probability that someone else is also looking for the same number as you is pretty much guaranteed. I do like this game, though somehow better with whisky. But then again, most games are improved by whisky :)

Still to be played:
    - Merchants & Merauders (my girlfriend doens't like the theme... )
    - Skull 'n Roses (only just bought)
    - War & Peace expansion for Archipelago (only just bought)
    - Splendor (only just gifted to my girlfriend :-D)
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

I've also been playing quite a few games thankfully because the club I went to for RPGs have now been doing board games! YAY!

First of all have gotten really into Android Netrunner, deckbuilding and buying the data packs and even recently Honour and Profir. So many great cards and so many decks that i could make but can't because i only bought one core set. Unfortunately not many people to play it with and test these decks out :(

Bought Quantum because of Shut up and Sit Downs and its quite a clever game, a lot of the rules you wonder how it will involve anyone actually clashing but you soon realize it has been combed by a fine degree by masters of game design...they totally knew what they were doing. Plus you can see and do some clever moves with the ships and stuff.

Was able to play Letters From Whitechapel where someone plays Jack The Ripper and the rest play the police. I was able to play both because the guy playing jack the ripper had to go home so I stepped in. The police is annoying and have to say have a very big disadvantage with the whole can't do a clue and arrest so even if you know jack is right next to you sometimes he can get away easily because of that. But man being Jack is the most nervous and heart pounding thing ive played since being a pirate in EVE Online. You can feel every move you make the police just closing the net on you and any mistake can have you in...it really is much more interesting on the jacks side but you kind of need the police side to facilitate that so its kind of weird in that way.

Was pleasantly surprised about Lords Of Waterdeep I'm not really a fan of Worker Placement games because I feel they are solitaire games with other people...and well its kind of true in this one but there is something about the limited amount of spaces and minions you have and the intrigue cards that make it a lot more social and involving then any other worker placement game that I've played. And I always do love secret roles!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I've also been playing quite a few games thankfully because the club I went to for RPGs have now been doing board games! YAY!

First of all have gotten really into Android Netrunner, deckbuilding and buying the data packs and even recently Honour and Profir. So many great cards and so many decks that i could make but can't because i only bought one core set. Unfortunately not many people to play it with and test these decks out :(
    You can use a program called Octgn to play it online with people to test decks. It's not nearly as good, but its functional and it's useful for testing decks when nobody else is about.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I don't really like OCTGN for a few reasons 1) it feels like im more having to learn the UI and how it works then play the proper game 2)I just feel its not netrunner Netrunner is about being mano on mano and seeing peoples reactions a lot of the game is reading whats a trap and what might be an agenda and you totally don't get that 3)I've heard that a lot of good decks on OCTGN are not good decks in real life probably because of number 2 somewhat. also 4)I like to meet real people that I can talk to and get to know outside the game but obviously the game brought me there to meet them.

I really need a local meta and while there are a few people at the club that have got the game it doesn't work out schedule wise for all of us to meet at the club. If I want to play more then one person I kind of need to live in London really...which is a shame

I got OGRE Designer's Edition a couple weeks back. It's really overdone. Overdone and fantastic but its size makes it a bit hard to recommend to those who only have a passing interest.

Activated Node
    Just ordered Netrunner despite having very few people to play with. Tempted by infiltration as well, but don't want to overdo it on the theme :)

Is anyone going to the UK games expo at the end of this month? It's in B'ham. If anyone fancies getting together for a game/drink/whatever, it'd be great.

monopoly and dixit

Not really a board game but tabletop related I've mostly been playing Dungeon World online and offline and have to say I really love it, the mechanics are so simple and the rules state that the world is the players as well as the Dungeon Masters. In fact if you want to play with us its every Friday usually at 7pm GMT.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjhh View Post
    Just ordered Netrunner despite having very few people to play with. Tempted by infiltration as well, but don't want to overdo it on the theme :)

Is anyone going to the UK games expo at the end of this month? It's in B'ham. If anyone fancies getting together for a game/drink/whatever, it'd be great.
    Was going to (went last year) but turns out I'm playing Twlilight Imperium 3 that weekend now...

Splendor: Great game which plays great with 2, 3 and 4 players. It's a game of slowly buying up cards that have victory points, and buying cards that lower the costs of all future purchases (well, technically all cards do this, but the mayor dilemma of this game seems to be: Do I buy this cheap, victorypoint-less card now, or save some gemstones for the next round and buy a more expensive one with victory points?). Also; lovely art and awesome heavyweight pokerchips representing the different gemstones (Board with life did a nice "review" related to this)

Skull & Roses: Caved in after the hype, and while the game is ok, it's rather limited. I guess I haven't played it with the right group of people (read: poker-enthusiasts/risk takers), but the couple of games I played so far were a bit dull. Still, it's a nice game to play at a bar or when traveling (but I like Love Letter a lot more for that)

Caylus Magna Carta: An "old" game I got recently, and pretty fun to play. It's a kind of worker placement game combined with a card game. There is not a lot of interaction between players though, which is bit of a disappointment. The only way to annoy really annoy people costs money, so that doesn't happen (or it doesn't happen because we're Dutch aka greedy, cheap bastards ;)

Oh... by the way, anyone going to Spiel 2014 in Essen this year? I'll be there Thursday, playing them cool new gamsz!
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more