Lesser Hivemind Node

Steam - Checking for updates dialog every time PC starts

Did steam always do this?

I never noticed it before, but since I upgraded to win8 Steam pops up a dialog with a progress bar EVERY SINGLE TIME my pc starts. And takes about a minute to check.

I don't remember steam doing that before, it just seemed to check in the background when i launched steam, rather than at PC start.

I guess I'm going to have to remove steam from the startup programs - but I don't really want to do that. I just want to limit it's upgrade checking a bit.

Any ideas?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Just launched Steam on my Windows 7 machine, and it didn't check for updates. Just that little "logging in" notice for a few seconds.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam client patch notes
    NOTE: if you use McAfee anti-virus products, you may experience an issue where Steam continually tries to download and apply this update. If so, please temporarily disable your virus scanner and restart Steam to complete the update. We are working to find a better solution for this incompatibility in future updates.
    Sounds a bit like what you're experiencing, maybe worth an investigation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Sounds a bit like what you're experiencing, maybe worth an investigation.
    I was going to say - disable your anti-virus and let it do it's thing.

and, if you're using McAfee or Kaspersky or Norton or AVG or anything other than the free Microsoft Security Essentials - disable it by uninstalling it forever whilst you're at it because it's all crapware-laden garbage.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't think it's my AV (bitdefender) but i guess you never know. I'll try and see.
    I don't think it's coninually trying and failing a download... it just seems to be checking a lot more (obviously) than it used to.
    Maybe it always did it and I never noticed. Or maybe it used to do it in the background.
    It's just a small dialog box with a loading bar in the center of the screen, from 30-60 seconds.

Anyway, I've just stopped steam starting with the PC for now.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    It's just a small dialog box with a loading bar in the center of the screen, from 30-60 seconds.
    ... which only appears when Steam's self updater is running, not on normal start up; hence my assumption that you're stuck in an "update loop".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    had this happen to me before. Turned out steam was trying to connect to a server in the region that was bogged down. Used the TCPView trick and all was well.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2713262
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    This has been happening to both me and my girlfriend for a while now. Will try those solutions later.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Steam changed the architecture of their client when they released the "pointless" version for pocket-protector owners - since then it's been a bit funky, slower and it's had more frequent updates, slower overall startup and more weirdness in terms of "Uninitialised" items and the like

Update loops are dead common when AV products get in the way of updaters tho and the first solution is always to disable your AV and let them do their thing.

Taking stuff like Steam out of the startup routine is wise anyway - you're only causing your PC to thrash on startup.

I think I have to add the standard disclaimer that if you don't receive files by email and/or on media from friend and pirated goods etc. - you actually don't NEED any AV at all. - it's only slowing your PC down and some of the high-end stuff does that with gleeful abandon.

I've been running my new laptop without any AV since I got it and it's not only quite a bit quicker but I've had no issues at all.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I think I have to add the standard disclaimer that if you don't receive files by email and/or on media from friend and pirated goods etc. - you actually don't NEED any AV at all. - it's only slowing your PC down and some of the high-end stuff does that with gleeful abandon.

I've been running my new laptop without any AV since I got it and it's not only quite a bit quicker but I've had no issues at all.

YMMV
    I think an AV is something I'd always rather use than not, if only for the piece of mind it gives me. I'm sure the pull out method is effective when used properly, but I aint using it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm thinking really, really hard and I cannot remember the last time an AV actually found a positive result on any PC I own.

In fact my current PC's AV log goes back almost 2 years and it has 1 alert which was a false positive on a tool I use for sharing my keyboard/mouse around all my PCs (all my PCs have the same false positive of course).

Far more important these days is a web filter which catches known phishing sites, sites which have been the source of malware downloads etc. - and even then, JUST DONT CLICK THE WRONG THING!

Put another way - I've fixed DOZENS of pcs which have malware which gained access - and in some cases total control - of a PC which had a current/active/up-to-date AV on it!!

As I said tho - YMMV - better safe than sorry if it's not slowing you down too much and all that jazz.

Network Hub
    Is it just checking... or is it actually updating? If it's updating, try opting out of the beta in the settings.

I have this same problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've had the same issue for about a month now. I'm not running any AV program. Steam also won't start in Big Picture mode, no matter how many times I tell it to in the settings.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    a shot in the dark, but have you tried something like CCleaner to scan your registry?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    a shot in the dark, but have you tried something like CCleaner to scan your registry?
    Can I say "don't let CCleaner with a hundred fucking miles of your registry" and leave it at that!?

If you're really stuck you could always save steamapps/uninstall/reinstall steam??

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I suppose you could leave it at that, but an explanation would be appreciated.

I let CC Cleaner have a go at my registry and everything looked A ok for what it was going to do. Then I spent the next few hours reinstalling Windows and my Steam Library.

Steam ID