Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Suspiciously Cheap GPU - spot the snag?

This came-up on HotUKDeals today - my first take was a misprice but it's similarly priced on Amazon and a few sellers on eBay aren't much more expensive

http://www.ebuyer.com/409722-kfa2-gt...l-66nph7dn6zvz

<110 for that is scary cheap!?

That's quicker than pretty-much any 7850 - it's a 2Gb model too and 2Gb 7850s are 140+

Other than the fact I've never heard of the manuf. (one comment I read suggests it's a rebranding of Galaxy cards for the EU) I'm struggling to see the catch

Other than the fact it's clearly a massive card which probably won't fit in my case without removing half the HDDs ;)

Seriously tho - I was about to buy a 7850 for 130 and this is so much better for less!?!?

- Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah I've read that and the Hexus review too - they basically pitch it as a good card for 180/220EU/220$ but it's less than 2/3rds that price which is why I'm thinking "erm....."

Given that a 650TI is the big-end of 100 - 110 for that is astonishing value but there MUST be a snag (other than it not fitting - I mean I could buy a new case with the change from a 7850 which it's MUCH better than!?)

One benchmark put it alongside a 7870 ffs

Id go for it. You never know why the cards go for that low, its possible they just released a newer one with more benchmark points and they want to get rid of the older ones.

Or they just splashed a bulk amount of those cards on the market for amazon and online retailers to sell. You seriously cant know for sure. That or the company is dying.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    AHA - the eBuyer page now says Out of Stock

The Amazon listing has changed price 3 times in the last hour - it's 120 at this point - still a good price but not sourced from Amazon...

Amazon page here still has some cheapish ones

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

Only seller I've used there is Shop4USB and they were OK IIRC - they're cheaper on Amazon than eBay too.

I'm wondering if all these sellers are working from the same wholesaler price-list and there's something awry with that list!?

p.s. it's a good illustration of how you pay 100 for 'something basic' and then small amounts more give bigger and bigger rewards tho isn't it? It's how we all end-up with glowing reactors for PCs :)
    Last edited by trjp; 01-04-2013 at 12:14 PM.

aye, definitely. But for some reason, I dont trust amazon sellers. Not with that much money atleast.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Nvidia recently released a new graphics card called the GTX 650 Ti Boost, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the original 650 Ti going cheap. But this doesn't make much sense. You'll have to do a Fry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been looking at 7790s and 650TI Boosts (stupidest name for a card EVER) and I'm in 2 minds atm

The 650Ti isn't much loved but prices are dropping - Scan did one under 90 delivered last week and at that price it's a much better buy than a 7770 IMO

The 650 TI Boost (impossible to Google as stock 650TIs often had a boost feature anyway) is a bit pricey atm but on paper looks like a nice card. Problem is they're all 2Gb models atm and 140+. You can still get a 1Gb 7850 for that money and that's in another SPORT, performance wise.

7790s are softer on price - there are some under 120 already and some of those come with Bioshock Infinite 'free' which is a nice bonus if you like it and 20 on eBay if you don't making the card just over 100

Whether they're better or worse than the 650 TI Boost depends on what you're playing it seems - early days for testing as we've not seen new drivers yet?

What I do like about both the 7790 and the 650TI (boost or not) is that they're shorter cards - I was all about to put a 7850 in this PC when I realised it wouldn't actually fit without me undoing all my sound-deadening changes (as it fouls 3 of the 4 HDD bays)

Hell I might even just get a cheap 650TI - I play some Physx games so it might just tip the scales and if it's under 90 I'll be happier again.

Where are we on the 1Gb vs 2Gb argument tho - most people reckon unless you're multi-monitor or >1920x1200 or playing Skyrim with the highest-def textures possible, 2Gb isn't really worth the money!?

The GTX 660 has a 7-inch PCB (~18 cm). If that's not short enough, your case sucks. I mean honestly, you can fit a GTX Titan in a mITX system, so you better be able to fit a GTX 660 or HD 7850 in a big old mATX or ATX machine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My case is an ITX unit and it's just over 10" from the mobo edge/PCI bracket to the end of a 3.5" HDD. The bays themselves aren't really setup for long cards but even if they were moved over, HDDs would still foul the card.

Some 7850s are over 10" long (the dual fan cooler ones mostly) - quite a few land in the 9-10" range which would still be tricky (esp if their power connector is on the end) without writing-off at least 2 of the HDD bays

This is a very similar case - not identical but it shows the idea I think

HDDs will mount almost entirely inside the lower cage - only about .5" overlaps

You can see the right-hand motherboard screw mounts (9.6" whether ITX or Mini-ITX) and how close they are to the drives - with drives in there/cabled up, you need a card which is shorter than the board really.

There are 7850s which will fit in there but they've not been 'cheap' so far - as they're alledgedly killing-off the 1Gb 7850 they may yet get cheap tho!

I'd change the case only I've spent EONS mounting the HDDs quietly and I don't want to start faffing around with that again.

Asus noticed we were having this discussion and launched their Geforce GTX 670 DirectCU Mini today. It is only 17 cm long.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That's nice but more than my entire PC budget I suspect :)

I just re-measured the case out of curiousity - bracket to HDD cage is just under 260mm - HDD not only sticks-out of cage but slightly overlaps motherboard (by the thickness of the SATA power plug) so max card length (allowing for power-connector at end of card) would be 210mm and most 7850s (even some 7790/650 Ti Boosts!) exceed that.

I'd have to remove all but the top HDD to clear that space I reckon - massive pain in the arse so I think I'll stick to a smaller card - likely a 7790 1Gb as the 2Gb models tend to run the bigger coolers

I guess not all ATX cases are made the same...
    Last edited by trjp; 03-04-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    The first thing that goes if you want to put serious hardware in an HTPC: the drive cage. I have an internal water cooling kit and can fit in a 13" card if I wished, but only have space for a single dvd + two 3.5" HDDs (or dvd + two 3.5" HDDs + one SSD). I am content with having 2 HDDs in the case and additional eSATA external disk drives. 6TB of external storage running at the same speed as sata 3G, without the hassle of fitting a large gamer case in the living room or the added heat from additional HDDs ruining my overclock potential. Works for me.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll tell you what's weird about this thread - we've been talking for almost a whole page and Mashakos hasn't come-in with some amazing but only tangetially relevant concept whereby you can get a fusion reactor inside a matchbox if you just overclock it enough...

Odd that - he's usually right on the ball...