Network Hub

Books about the Templars/Crusades- Recommendations?

I've recently been playing The First Templar and while it is amazingly silly at times, it has put me in the mood to read a novel about the Templar orders and the crusades again. Checking on amazon however there seem to be an awful lot of books that... well, they seem like garbage basically. Some horribly hybrid of Da Vinci Code and the Templars, always going on about their great secret etc.

I'm looking for something a bit more historically accurate while still telling a good story. Imagine something along the lines of Bernard Cornwell's works. A fairly grounded story, no fantasy or magic, but I am fine with some minor liberties taken with history if it is to put the character in a specific battle and so forth.

The only books I've read like this so far are the Brethren trilogy by Robyn Young, which I enjoyed immensely and would highly recommend to anyone else looking for the same as me.

I figure the collective brain spew of the rps forum must have something to suggest to help me out, so what do you think?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Jan Guillou has written a trilogy about Templars (And it got made into two films, only one of which has come to the UK AFAIK), and it's called The Crusades Trilogy. It starts with this book, named The Road to Jerusalem.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Malcolm Barber is the name you should know. Piers Paul Read is good too, but I'd start with Barber's two books - "The New Knighthood" and "The Trial of the Templars".

They're not novels, but they tell the history in a compelling way.
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 12-08-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Network Hub
    @UnravThreads; I've seen the film about and been meaning to check it out. The books sound quite interesting, and a trilogy would give me plenty to sink my teeth into, might have to check them out.

@TillEulenspiegel; Barber's work does look like it could be interesting. It's a shame they are each a bit expensive. 20 is more than I like to spend on a book :/

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post

@TillEulenspiegel; Barber's work does look like it could be interesting. It's a shame they are each a bit expensive. 20 is more than I like to spend on a book :/
    Barber is very much an academic source. His two cities book is reading for 1st year uni modules on medieval history.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
    Barber is very much an academic source. His two cities book is reading for 1st year uni modules on medieval history.
    Sure, but they're not textbooks. They're pretty well written with a definite authorial voice and a kind of narrative format. Not everyone is going to find that interesting, but if you're even a little bit of a history nerd, it's good stuff.

Oh, and always buy used.