Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

[VS] Theme Week 2 (5 -11 aug): New Leaders

Theme week 1: Squad Cohesion, went swimmingly, and many have expressed great pleasure at how well we performed when working as cohesive teams. Now, the aim is on making it easier to find people to lead our squads, so I have the pleasure to now present to you...

Theme Week 2
    5 - 11 august
    New Leaders

Letting new people try their hands at leading,
    possibly with the help of "the vets".
    Take this opportunity to try!

What's this then?
    We sometimes see that it's hard to find people to step up for leadership roles (SL and especially PL). We all know of the awkward silences that come after the platoon leader says "alright, I'm off, who wants PL?". This theme week means to address that, by attempting to have "new", or at least less experienced, leaders throughout the week. This is an excellent time to do some knowledge transfer, so feel free to offer or ask for mentorship!

List of do's:

• Try to find new people to lead squads and platoons.
    • Do give leading a try yourself if you haven't already! It's good fun and we're all friendly, tolerant people.
    • Ask for or offer mentorship. Use /tells in-game or coordinate here on the forums.
    • Be tolerant and supportive of new leaders. Leading can be a taxing and sometimes tricky job, make it easier by being patient and encouraging.
    • Stick together and follow orders. It really makes the life of a SL that much more pleasant! Let's not forget last week's lessons...
    • Ask for instructions/orders when unclear on what to do, but do so nicely.
    • Spread the word on Mumble!

List of don'ts:

• Hog the leadership positions if you happen to be one of the "vets". Let the new people through this week. Take this time to sit back and relax.
    • Back-seat leading strictly forbidden unless you are mentoring and even then only for shorter periods.

Spread the word!
    For this to work as intended, people need to know this is an actual thing that is happening, and I can't personally be on to make it known. Help me. Tell people that this week, we're focusing on getting new people to try leading squads and platoons, and that mentoring by an experienced leader is available and something that should be used if wanted.

​As previously, comments, additions, discussion are all welcome below!
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 06-08-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Sounds very good. I'll happily give SL a shot with a bit of mentorship at the time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Seems like this is pretty well known on Mumble, experienced SL/PL's don't seem to mind sharing the load at all and will happily remind people that it is new leaders week. :-)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    Seems like this is pretty well known on Mumble, experienced SL/PL's don't seem to mind sharing the load at all and will happily remind people that it is new leaders week. :-)
    That's good then. I just copy-pasted the entire thing from last week...

Activated Node
    I got the chance to SL last night, which I've only done a few times before. I also got to experience mumble during Split comms which was actually pretty fun.

The more senior and experienced PLs/SLs were happy to let us newer guys give it a go and it ended up with Bowl Solider PLing, and I thought it did a cracking job!

The more experienced guys where also there to jump in when we got a little burnt out, which was great!

I enjoyed my little Sunday afternoon dropping waypoints too I'm especially fond of my lancer and lasher, so I was very happy when my decision to mount a lancer team turned into the "RPS SUPER DUPER LAZER LIGHT SHOW" of fiery lasher spam We ended up breaking their defence too!

An unexpected bonus of learning the ropes of leadership was the little bits of metagame that came through over comms. For example, we were being pushed back to Dahaka Amp Station. Lakroy (a good babysitter) informed us that this was ok - as long as we shored up the defence at the amp station wall, we would build our own zerg and start to push back. This was certainly the case, and after a stalwart rebuttal, we smashed our way back to Quartz Ridge!

Thanks for being patient and awesome guys This screenshot doesn't do justice to the sheer number of laser jizz we rained down on those red scum!

Just as a slight aside for those of you thinking, "Nah, sod that!", when it comes to leading. I started with RPS many months ago now with a, "I'm here to shoot lasers and only that!", mentality. After a while you start to see that many people leading the platoons/squads or ROing would also like to do that as well and not be forced to lead all the time. So slowly I started stepping up for whatever was needed. For me PLing is too much map reading (although I still do it at a push if we're short) but some people absolutely love it! The thing is you'll never know if you don't give it a go and as Eso said up in the opening post we're a friendly bunch and here to help! Also, don't feel scared of doing it your own way, we don't want clones! (well nanites hmm...!)
    PS2 a.k.a. PurpleSnow
    also available on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Komus, you've always done a good job on the SL when I've been on - appreciated!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG