Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar

[VS] Outfit Website now at www.rockplanetshotgun.com

Website is getting under way.

Find it at:
    www.rockplanetshotgun.com

It is still under construction, but it is getting there.

Functionality should soon include the ability to submit events (for those hosting training sessions and similar one-off events). (This kind of already exists, but I need to toy about with some settings).

The ugly events page will be re-formatted soon, as will some other bits.

We need:
    A background (tile) that will replace the current grey. OR some fancy background (which may or may not be nicked from whatever appears for the YouTube site).

In general, feedback would be good. The about / recruitment pages will be replaced by whatever comes out of the upcoming "outfit guide" to be started soon.
    Last edited by Cooper; 04-04-2013 at 03:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    Would be nice for the about page to feature a little outfit history. Idk whats planned for the outfit guide, but it sounds good.

As far as BG and logo are concerned, still waiting to hear back from Rizlar on that one. We shouldnt be too far off though...

I also had some more thoughts to include "compilation" videos (like jag recently made) be uploaded onto the main channel to promote more subscription/views, but ive not heard any opinions on that yet, so it would be good to discuss.

Ive literally only just seen that you apparently had a meeting weds. I didnt see the update for that, so my bad for missing it, so I may be out of date on some of this stuff.

Do we have anyone who knows their way around PHP?

I'm doing what I normally do when it comes to coding languages and learning just what I need to to lift / nick code and make it work for what I need / want. But I'm getting stuck on the PS2 API.

It would be quite nice to get some basics (# members online, Miller status) on the website.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I'm familiar from web programming in general, since that is part of my profession, but I've never worked with PHP. Could probably learn what I need to wing it if noone else has the skills.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've done a bit of it at work lately, in combination with a colleague.
    No promises, but I may be able to get somewhere.

Question 1)

Why does a straight replacement of RPS as alias in the API url between:
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...7&postcount=32

And:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/membersonline.php

Produce errors?

(The original works fine:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/originalonline.php
    )

Because, basically, if I can get that php nicked from the PSU forums working, I can do what I want to do without much help. I can just replace the table echoes and variables with what I need to pull.

But something I can't work out has gone screwy with the smallest of changes there...
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Question 1)

Why does a straight replacement of RPS as alias in the API url between:
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...7&postcount=32

And:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/membersonline.php

Produce errors?

(The original works fine:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/originalonline.php
    )

Because, basically, if I can get that php nicked from the PSU forums working, I can do what I want to do without much help. I can just replace the table echoes and variables with what I need to pull.

But something I can't work out has gone screwy with the smallest of changes there...
    I do a bit of coding in various languages (enough to hack around in PHP) and I think I fixed your problem.

I checked the data returned by the census website and where the script checks the online status of players (line 24 of the script) its looking for a status of "1" as online, where in the census data for us it is inexplicably "10" for online. The script fails if no players are online, hence the errors.

I've fixed the script and uploaded it here so you can see it working: http://bytebash.com/files/rps.php

(source) http://bytebash.com/files/rps.txt

If you need help with this stuff in the future I'm happy to help out.

PS. To illustrate the problem, here's a member from the census data for RPS:

{"rank":"Giraffe calf","member_since":"1.365433556E9","character_id ":"5428054466439967217","online_status":"10"},

and here's a member for the PYCS outfit:

{"rank":"Soldier","member_since":"1.359100059E9"," character_id":"5428021759054054193","online_status ":"1"},

Why ours is different I do not know, looking at other outfits on our server its the same for them too. Maybe its a Miller thing.
    Last edited by Kalessin; 08-04-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Thank you

I spent about 20 minutes scanning the return from the API to see what was different between PYCS and RPS. I didn't catch that difference.

For reference, a really easy means of exploring PS2 API returns can be found at:
    http://ps2hq.com/apibrowser
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Might be a bit late to the party, but I was spending some time browsing the websites of other Miller outfits hunting for logos (this resource is pretty great, we are even on there!) and it got me thinking about our work in progress website.

I would quite like to see our website's visual design streamlined even more, condensing the whole thing into a thinner column, possibly using a slightly smaller text size and streamlining the information that is visible at any one time. I think the space-fascist Goon Brigade's website is a good example of what I mean. http://blog.goonbrigade.com/ It would basically involve using a single column, sidebar and menu bar, minimising empty space and reducing some of the text sizes. Any important extra information that doesn't fit into the main column or the two bars, such as upcoming outfit events, could perhaps go in the header image.

My only real criticism of the Goon site is that their header images vary in size. Unless there is a good reason not to, menu bars and header dimensions should be consistent across pages.

I realise that the general layout may not be finalised at all yet, but I wanted to get some feedback in anyway.

ps. Did you know that about 40% of TR outfits have a skull in their logo?

pps. This is by far my favorite Miller outfit website. http://www.freewebs.com/m3rcs/

Good work with the site!

Also Rizlar, that outfit website... oh god, MY EYES

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Might be a bit late to the party, but I was spending some time browsing the websites of other Miller outfits hunting for logos (this resource is pretty great, we are even on there!) and it got me thinking about our work in progress website.

I would quite like to see our website's visual design streamlined even more, condensing the whole thing into a thinner column, possibly using a slightly smaller text size and streamlining the information that is visible at any one time. I think the space-fascist Goon Brigade's website is a good example of what I mean. http://blog.goonbrigade.com/ It would basically involve using a single column, sidebar and menu bar, minimising empty space and reducing some of the text sizes. Any important extra information that doesn't fit into the main column or the two bars, such as upcoming outfit events, could perhaps go in the header image.

My only real criticism of the Goon site is that their header images vary in size. Unless there is a good reason not to, menu bars and header dimensions should be consistent across pages.

I realise that the general layout may not be finalised at all yet, but I wanted to get some feedback in anyway.

ps. Did you know that about 40% of TR outfits have a skull in their logo?

pps. This is by far my favorite Miller outfit website. http://www.freewebs.com/m3rcs/
    I've spent quite a bit of time editing that outfit wikia. First change I made was make all the servers collapsible sections

The WP theme I use scales very well. Put it on a mobile and it doesn't look bad at all.

I can reduce its width, but tiny widths on widescreens (the predominant form) are a bugbear of mine. It's an astoundingly bad use of space. Especially if you have sidebars an anything else that adds width to the site. The current width of the text section is about the same as the width of the goon site you linked to. Our sidebars are larger.

The Goons Brigade have updated their site a huge amount. It was one of the first sites we looked ta for comparison.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Activated Node
    YAY! Website! (will get into details, once I had a good look at it).

There is a typo in my name on the roster the An i and the g are mixed up. One Luv!
    Last edited by Silgidorn; 15-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've spent quite a bit of time editing that outfit wikia. First change I made was make all the servers collapsible sections
    I was particularly impressed by the collapsible sections! :P

I can reduce its width, but tiny widths on widescreens (the predominant form) are a bugbear of mine. It's an astoundingly bad use of space. Especially if you have sidebars an anything else that adds width to the site. The current width of the text section is about the same as the width of the goon site you linked to. Our sidebars are larger.
    Yeah, I was referring to reducing the width of the sidebar really, the main column seems fine. It just seemed that the menu bar/side bar could look slicker if they were smaller/simpler.

Looking at the front page again, I think maybe just moving 'upcoming events' into the header (rotating through events? perhaps in white?) so that the main column isn't sub-divided vertically, and getting rid of some empty space (particularly in the side bar) would do it for me.

It is looking great anyway, the use of pages/the information that's up there/use of type etc seems to work really well.

I agree Rizlar.

I intend to do a pass on the CSS and PHP files behind the theme once we have a logo. I'll put in a header, I'll sort out a better background (probably black text on white for the main text, not the fucking awful grey on grey it is now) and tighten up the formatting. It's something I would rather sit down and do in one go rather than bit by bit.

Though if yourself or anyone else wants to have a stab at this kind of thing, I'm not averse to adding a couple more admin, if that's ok with CMaster.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Could we avoid black on white? I'm not versed in layout or typography or anything, but I really dislike the high contrast of pure black on pure white, personally.

Though if yourself or anyone else wants to have a stab at this kind of thing, I'm not averse to adding a couple more admin, if that's ok with CMaster.
    I've got little sense of design but I'm well enough versed in the art of CSS/Javascript/HTML to get to grips with most issues if you need a "handyman".
    "Time is a companion, travelling with us on the journey of life, to remind us to cherish each moment as it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Add as many wordpress admins as you like - it's the outfit website, whoever wants to get involved in keeping it up to date should do (and the more the better really, as it's more likley to be kept up to date that way). Try to not spread the FTP details around too much though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    OK, I've added a bunch more info to the website:
    About communications, about starting out in the game, about how we talk.

I'd like to see the website being a one-stop-shop for outfit-related information, rather than people having to dig through the forums.

With that in mind, who would like to help add and keep up to date stuff on the website?
    GinSoakedBoy has already mentioned, but there must be others?

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    OK, I've added a bunch more info to the website:
    About communications, about starting out in the game, about how we talk.

I'd like to see the website being a one-stop-shop for outfit-related information, rather than people having to dig through the forums.

With that in mind, who would like to help add and keep up to date stuff on the website?
    GinSoakedBoy has already mentioned, but there must be others?
    My plan was to get the outfit guide finished and then migrate it all over to the website.

On that note, I should have another stab at the guide. It's seen precious little work unfortunately...
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

I've updated the header with a (draft) version. Feedback needed.

www.rockplanetshotgun.com

Specifically:
    * Do we keep the theme's background & text colour? If not, what should we use (I quite like it's simplicity but am not convinced by the grey-on-grey of the background and text)

* What should we do about the text in the header? Should it be the giraffe purple / green circle not white? Should it have an outline? What can / should be done to work against the background?

* What do we need linked to from the menu bar / sidebars that isn't there?

Note that I intend to update info on a lot of the pages. e.g. the "About" page will be updated with the outfit menifesto from the guide, as will the recruitment page.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG