Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Just a quick "content" question about Squad Leaders... Would it be worth having anything about how to actually manage squads via the in-game UI? For example, how to name and set up recruitment correctly for squads? Or for PLs, how to add new squads, invite to form a platoon, kick randoms, etc etc. It's stuff that's easy for a SL/PL to overlook in the tight spandexy heat of combat, but it helps everything run a bit smoother?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Hey, that was a clever idea. If someone writes a few words about it, I or some other editor can put it up there along with the rest of the SL/PL guide stuff.

Obscure Node
    Has anyone started on the member API work yet? If not I am looking at making a WP plugin to do just this with maybe a few more features added over time.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Edited Outfit Introduction page - few typos etc.

Also, regarding comms; think we should push for/highly encourage people to use their squad + number when calling for assistance or anything that requires us to locate them quickly, even more so than using names rather than saying "I" or "me".
    Last edited by sketchseven; 12-06-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bleedan - I don't beleive so. Would be great to see something done with that though. Cooper especially seems to want the Roster to be done automatically.

Sorry I haven't contributed much latley - been lacking in enthusiasm for that sort of thing.

On another note, I'd like to say thank you to Esoteric and Znea for donating towards my hosting bill. Especially Znea, who covered over half of my 2-yearly bill with a single donation - and he hasn't even got an outfit invite yet! So yeah, with that much of my costs covered, I will make extra effort to ensure the RPS website receives whatever it needs. The hosting is done on Linux, so ASP etc isn't possible, but if anyone needs mysql databases, cron jobs, shell access, ftp access etc, it can be provided. In fact, Cooper, would you like access to the hosting control panel, if possible? (it can be done, but might be a pain depending on how I worked the ownership in the first place).

CMaster, sent you $30. I have no idea what your bill is, so hope it helps!

Obscure Node
    If no one else is doing anything with the API integration I will make a start but it will take me a while as work is busy atm. It will just be a list of current members with their ranks for now but can add online status and anything else the API holds at a later date. If anyone else wants to get involved just let me know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Can I suggest we use Rizlars artwork for the website background too? Its very nice! Link on the official logo post.

Someone asked for text for squad management for Girofficers about 3 pages ago - first pass below, I don't have access to the website (and I'm probably not worth adding!) and I gather the doc's are now redundant.

-----------------------------
    Practicalities

SL's have to do a limited amount of in and out of game housekeeping to keep things running smoothly.

The most important thing is that on first becoming squad leader, even if you are taking over a squad from someone else, is to check the "Recruitment Options" on the Social Tab -> Platoon/Squad management screen in game.

Un-tick Private squad, give it a meaningful name (at least put Alpha/Bravo etc in there!), tick 'Outfit Only', tick 'Recruitment Enabled', re-tick Private squad. You can also use this screen to promote your replacement, send out invites to your squad, and if not part of a platoon kick out any unwelcome people!

If operating under split comms

Make sure you are in the correct mumble channel yourself and that you have a RO in their channel if appropriate, if you are taking on a squad at the start of a session or just after a comms split it is worth doing a quick head count of your grunts to check that all made it.
    ----------------------------

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Note to anyone with admin access; please hold off updating the Theme in use (Gridiculous) if there is an update available.

At least until I've done what I should have done from the sgart (but was too lazy to do) and create a child theme.

If someone wants to do it, details are here:
    http://bavotasan.com/2011/creating-a...-in-wordpress/
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Theme files I've modified:
    style.css
    Header.php

Files I've added:
    page-nosidebar.php
    footer-nosidebar.php
    (Both WIPs)
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

If someone fancies saving me some work, a collation of all the suggested taglines for below the "ROCK PLANET SHOTGUN" part of the logo (that end in "since 2873") would be welcome.

They're spread out across the thread on the logo, the thread on the YouTube graphics and I think this thread...

---------------
    Also:
    Anyone with any PHP / HTML willing to look through the theme files for the theme we use and work out how to have the sidebar appear next to a sticky post rather than below it would be welcome.

The call to get_sidebar is in footer.php. Stickies get called in header.php.

If I move the call for get_sidebar to header.php it gets called next to the sticky but then posts appear below the sidebar...

I can send the relevant php files to anyone willing to have a look at this for me.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Also: Colours.

I still do not like the grey-on-grey. But I am not a web developer so have no idea what to do. Any suggestions very welcome. Even if it's different shades of grey...

Unless everyone's happy with how it is?

Edit: Bugger it, just changed body text to black for now.
    Last edited by Cooper; 24-06-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

WATCH OUT HOSTILE IRRELEVANT POST INCOMING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Even if it's different shades of grey...
    As long as there arn't...
    of them...

Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Anyone with any PHP / HTML willing to look through the theme files for the theme we use and work out how to have the sidebar appear next to a sticky post rather than below it would be welcome.

The call to get_sidebar is in footer.php. Stickies get called in header.php.

If I move the call for get_sidebar to header.php it gets called next to the sticky but then posts appear below the sidebar...

I can send the relevant php files to anyone willing to have a look at this for me.
    Find the template file that controls the loop (the list of posts) on the home page, cut the call to the sticky post from the header.php and move it there, before the loop gets called.

If you're having trouble, send me the files and I'll look into it.

Edit:
    I found the base theme, instructions follow:

In header.php, cut this block:
    Code:
            <?php        $sticky = get_option( 'sticky_posts' );
            $featured = new WP_Query( array(
                'posts_per_page' => 1,
                'post__in'  => $sticky,
                'ignore_sticky_posts' => 1
            ) );
            if ( ! empty( $sticky[0] ) && is_home() && 2 > $paged ) {
            ?>

<div id="featured" class="row">

<div class="c12">

<?php
                    while ( $featured->have_posts() ) : $featured->the_post();

get_template_part( 'content', get_post_format() );

endwhile;

wp_reset_postdata();
                    ?>

</div>

</div>

<?php } ?>
    Paste it before this line:
    Code:
    <?php if ( have_posts() ) : ?>
    Then remove the following line:
    Code:
    and its matching
    Code:
    </div>
    I see you already changed the class to the proper one, so that should do it.

Edit2 :

Actually, do not remove the
    Code:

Getting rid of the "row" class should be enough.
    Last edited by Skiant; 25-06-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Planetside 2 | Miller | [RPS] Irumani
    Guild Wars 2 | Vizunah | [RPS] Morganne Melua /Namassi Melua
    Steam | [FUCA] Skiant

Removing the row class and the gridiculous column size class worked and also means the sitcky post aligns with the top of the sidebar.

Thank you very much for that <3
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Ok, I've played with the header to finally get the YouTube graphic up there and properly appearing.

Can I get people to look at the front page in various browsers & window sizes to check it's working properly please?

Basically the header should appear in full if your monitor is wide enough for it to fit on, but be clipped without scrollbars if the monitor / window is smaller. This maintains the original resolution of the image rather than dynamically re-sizing it as the default CSS does and allows as many 'profiles' to appear as the user has window width.

However I thnk this will screw with anyone viewing with smartphones and the like. An idea of how bad it is on those devices would be good. May have to load an alternate image for those...
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Im not entirely sure how wordpress works or how youve set this up, but can we not have a piece of code (javascript?) pointing to a separate header if the device is recognised as a mobile device?

Ive done this before on a simple site I made, but im not sure if that applies here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Front page is working for me at various sizes on PC.

edit: Still kind of feel that everything could be shrunk down. Much prefer the way it looks on my screen after pressing ctrl - a few times. Personal preference perhaps!
    Last edited by Rizlar; 26-07-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Working as described for me in Firefox (v22.0), Chrome (v28), IE 10 and android Dolphin (v2.3)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Also I fucked up when uploading those web banner images. Here is a link to a new .png version with an extra fade layer on top of the silhouettes.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/sk4bc3...off_centre.png

Not a big fan of how it looks blown up that large... might have to start working on an alternative.