Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just in case it wasn't clear this is what I meant by making the background and header purple, kind of upside-down purple guinness effect (that's what it's called, right?).

Also, is the header off-center to allow room for rotating text?

Offtopic, but I love how your second tab is on how to take a screenshot in Mac OS X.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Lol I did notice that, brother's laptop derp.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Copied some stuff from the forums into the TACGIR guide and fiddled with formatting. Did not really give it a good look from the context-and-making-sense perspective. So please do that if you have editing privileges.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I realised what you meant Rizlar, but that's not possible without some CSS fiddling. Will do that later.

The text was centered on the outer purple ring and look really off now the outer dimensions are defined by the VS symbol. Will fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fair enough, generally looking good though, the new colours really bring it to life.

I was referring to the header title/logo being horizontally off-centre. It may well look better this way, but was wondering if there were plans to put some more rotating 'upcoming events' text or whatever to fill the space in the header on the right. Could even put the join us/new members/outfit guide buttons up there, would definitely make them noticeable.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 03-06-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    I think that much purple at the top is too much to be honest. It also means we lose the purple circle part of the logo, which is a shame.

The header is aligned left because if it's aligned centre it looks odd with regards to the rest of the page. The logo + text currently fits in the span that text in the menu bar takes up and the span of posts.

As for the space left on the right hand side, I was thinking of adding a small TVA logo there.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Went over the formatted remaining outfit guide pages.

Caught any typos that I could find, and changed some sentence structure where appropriate.

We still need the TACGIR page done, but id like to leave it to the tacgir guys.

I still think the manifesto should follow the same formatting style of the other basic pages, because its currently a little cramped and hard to follow. Id be happy to reformat this at some point, but I dont want to go ahead and do it if you wanted to keep the current style.

Also, why was the mentoring stuff removed? Makes sense to have it on that page, rather than on a post. The information is all there, and some kind of form could be added if necessary to apply for mentoring later on?

Personally i still find the website to look cluttered in areas. Notably the Manifesto page. It just seems to be dotted all over the place?

I think the 'Manifesto' page could look a lot more simplistic, or at least a bit more ordered.Lots of titles with tiny paragraphs. It needs to be easier on the eye. Could it all perhaps be condensed down a bit?

I'll recite the Goon blogsite again and how simplistic it is. http://blog.goonbrigade.com/ It looks really nice and works really well from a viewers perspective. I know its blog format, but I feel that we should definitely be trying to emulate the layout.

I've luckily managed to wrangle a bit more free time into my hands and i'd like to get set up on the website. Can someone possibly send me a PM about how to get admin rights set up and the like so i can support with things like guides.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, the graphic design could do with being simplified/steamlined overall. Simplifying the overall design into two simple columns/boxes would help; the main text column and a single sidebar column, rather than using multiple boxes/columns. Some of the text sizes could be reduced as well, including the whole navigation bar. Perhaps standardise the text and title sizes?

Edit: Depending on how much technical expertise is required to mess around with these things in wordpress I would be happy to give it a go myself. Changing a few variables/playing with a UI would be fine, but advanced CSS tweaking is something I would prefer to leave to the hardened scripters among us.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 09-06-2013 at 01:55 AM.

Re: The layout.

I've replaced the top stuff with a sticky post.

Ignore the font colour & bear in mind I can strip out everything above the "We are the Giraffes" heading. Does that look neater?

I'd like the replace the links with buttons, in a row rather than stacked. But that's for later. Does this solve some of the problems with the layout.

Re: The Sidebar. I can fold everything into a single sidebar, now problem, if that would be better?

Re: The goon website.
    The RPS website wasn't intended to be a blog. I don't think we need a blog. It just happens that WP offers a really easy platform to create the website on. Having a serious pass on the front page so it acts as repository of info is on my to-do list. I can't see what that layout would do to help us? Having a long list of posts is not a good way of organising a page intended to be a go-to page for info.

The goon website is just a blog and, in my opinion, an ugly one. Those headers are awful, all of them. The sidebar contains redundant links (they repeat the header menu). What the fuck is that at the top of the sidebar anyway? As for black text-on-white, maybe, but that's five minutes away with our current website using the CSS.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The welcome message sticky is a really good idea. I like it a lot, think it works great as it is there (ignoring the drop shadow etc). Makes everything totally clear for the first time visitor but doesn't feel at all intrusive.

I would like to see the sidebar folded into one. Have a feeling that the purple section titles would separate them out well enough (possibly with the title bars outlined as they are now and a slightly larger space between each title bar and the section above?). Basically just sticking the current boxes together - at the moment they seem to spread out a bit unnecessarily and look a little clunky.

Would kind of like to see what smaller text sizes and a thinner menu bar would look like as well, but it's really not that big of an issue. Everything I am suggesting is basically condensing and streamlining.

Sidebar now one unit. Events appearance needs a bit of care and attention.

Shadows gone.

Sticky CSS played about with so it matches the header. Originally it was a semi-opaque grey that added a fourth grey to the page...

Too dark imo, but that can easily be changed. Thinking of changing the header colours. Thoughts? White on purple to matche to logo or something to set it apart?

On that note, we could really do with an extended palette. I know Paul was asking about this. Thing is, I have zero training in this area and have no idea how best to extend it.

If someone could have a stab at suggesting colours that work well with the current plaette:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/Roc...un_Palette.png

I would be very grateful.

The colour scheme of the website is very easy to change. I do not like the grey-grey-grey setup, but I prefer it to straight balck-text-on-white. Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Background (which I can do soon & easily).
    Question: Which of these is better?

Or

KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My hosting bill has just come in.

I use this hosting for a wide variety of personal stuff, and will be paying it anyway. However, if somebody would like to make a contribution, it would be much appreciated, and you can do so with this button:

Top one is better, with the purple above and white below. The white column on purple in the second option is horribly early 2000s.

What about a pic as background? like an awesome screenshot or something like that?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Think I prefer a slightly lighter gray for the welcome message background, to set it apart from the menu bar. Not sure if the 'join us' etc links could be a bit clearer, think the vertical separators sort of blend that line into one a bit.

What do you want to use the extra colours for? Best way to work it out might just be to try different stuff. If it is just to define certain areas more clearly you could go tonal and sparingly use pure black/white to accent elements, this would work well with the current mid-tones. If you want a bright colour for hyperlinks etc you might want to try a warmer yellow/magenta or something (staying away from using green, so that the logo stands out more).

Also prefer the top option (of course).

Sidebar could perhaps do with some slight tweaks to separate the sections clearly, tho I do reckon it looks cleaner as one block. Perhaps decrease the gap between the links and their title, add a single thin line beneath the titles instead? Or if that looks rubbish, just increase the gap between titles and the links above them?
    Last edited by Rizlar; 10-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Outfit Guide Editors needed

I have finished all the "outfit guide" pages (except the TACGIR intro and TACGIR squad lead. Can people with expertise in this area please give those a go).

Please do the following:
    - Go through each of the pages accessible using the "outfit guide" drop-down on the main header menu.
    For each
    a) Proof read (spelling, grammar)
    b) Edit for clarity & concise
    c) Check that all links work, whether within or without the website (I already know that some are broken, will you catch them!)

If you are not a website editor please do the above anyway but report any problems to this page.

---------------------

Web page design / style still ongoing. Please keep making suggestions and I'll tweak it as they come up.

Next stage is to sort out everything under "Outfit Organisation". This is the point anyone with any kind of PHP skills can feel free to come forward. There's some stuff I'd like to do with the API for this.
    Last edited by Cooper; 11-06-2013 at 05:10 AM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

When I said about the pallette, I simply meant to at least add the planet texture colour, and the grey background colour.

Other complimentaries could be added too, or alt backgrounds etc.. Up to you.

With regards to the background, cooper: I think we could potentially invert the one youve done, having a white top banner, and purple page (though the purple should be a very dark shade, so that it is close to black and inobtrusive/gentle on the eyes.
    The current look removed the purple circle, which I think we should bring back into the look of the logo.