Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    TEST
    Last edited by Cooper; 13-05-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

If the purpose of that green monstrosity was to melt my eyes and my sanity, your test is definitely successful

I quite like the idea of a shared gallery for outfit screenshots. We have the YouTube channel which updates playlists of outfit videos, we should do something similar for screenshots.

Something we can easily upload to and easily display on the website.

There are reader-upload plugins for Wordpress, but I'm not convinced that's the best way to go (not least because of the security risk of letting anyone upload stuff...).

An alternative is the various plugins that display imgur albums and other image host albums. Any suggestions on where might be best to keep this repository?
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Right, so this came up at the end of the meeting.

I still think that the website is the best place for us to collect information - forums, by their very nature, are pretty messy. Good for discussion, effective for a limited amount of information, but for what we want to provide, far from the best way.

The idea is to collate everything on the website, and have it easily navigable.

So far, the website team is myself (I'm using my Dreamhost account for the hosting and domain registration) and Cooper.

If we're honest, we've not been the best at keeping it up to date and converting everything. The giraffe guides have been left as linked google docs with executive summaries. The about page is still pseudo-placeholder.

Now we can do better. But we'd also like other people to help out. Mostly, we want people to help out with content, with getting info up there. The website is driven by Wordpress (not, I feel, perhaps the best option, but it's what we've got), so anyone can easily add and edit information. That said, anybody who wants to help with plug ins/extensions for say, the Planetside 2 API or video sharing, or skinning the wordpress install, that would also be great. FTP/Shell access can be provided. The server is Linux based, with up to date installs of php, mysql databases can be set up on request.

EDIT: Those who wish to help, I will need an email address off of you.
    Last edited by CMaster; 30-05-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Network Hub
    I haven't looked at the PS2 API and most of my experience is minor C++ and Python projects, but I'll poke around and see how intimidating it is. My wifeinthreemonths builds Wordpress sites for fun so I can get some help there. No promises, but I'll get back to you.

I might have a poke around the API myself. I know a little php, mysql and such, but it's very much at a beginner sort of level so I'm not sure how much use it'd be. I'm happy to help try and keep things updated though, if nothing else.

I can make you a mobile app but that's it. Web dev is for interns and masochists!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Guess I'm a masochist then. I can also probably help some with coding, that is my profession after all, though I don't know PHP. It's not too late to learn however.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I quite like the idea of a shared gallery for outfit screenshots. We have the YouTube channel which updates playlists of outfit videos, we should do something similar for screenshots.

Something we can easily upload to and easily display on the website.

There are reader-upload plugins for Wordpress, but I'm not convinced that's the best way to go (not least because of the security risk of letting anyone upload stuff...).

An alternative is the various plugins that display imgur albums and other image host albums. Any suggestions on where might be best to keep this repository?
    Myself, Mitchk, and Nick have been using dropbox to store a bunch of screenshots, so something like this would be a great resource.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    SurlyWombat and Esoteric added as "Editor" level in wordpress. If that isn't the right level, then it can be adjusted.

Anyone else who wants to help (and more would be better), including with more "low level" stuff should PM me an email address.

And already hard at work: http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/the...ing-programme/

Sign up if you want to be a mentor, and find someone to mentor you, if you want to try and would like a hand!

I need some help on colours.

We currently have a grey-on-grey colour scheme for background & text. I removed the 'textured' background that came with the theme as there was too little contrast ratio between that and the text.

The text & the background are both easily changed. I've just lightened the background a bit to increase contrast.

Any thoughts on what we can do?

Any thoughts on using the purple from the logo for all header & link text? Too much purple? maybe reduce it just to being used for <h1>?
    Last edited by Cooper; 03-06-2013 at 03:16 AM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

I've gone through and added / changed a whole bunch of pages.

We now have anything guide-y as a child of "outfit guide". This page should probably just be a contents page.

I have copy-pasta'd everything from the google docs outfit guide. But without fromatting. It's also probably in the wrong place.

Can editors start looking at anything that is a child of "outfit guide" and give it a good going over for formatting and style.

Some pages are balnk. feel free to fill them.

I'm going ot have a really goo stab at the "outfit introduction" page so it is ready for Wednesday. It needs to be very succinct and to the point and then direct people to more info. So a lot will be moved to other pages.

Anything that is a child of "outfit organisation" is a WIP. We can sort that out after the outfit guide, which needs to be a priority.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Ill continue on with the guide pages (at least for each of the roles) tomorrow, if you guys want to work on other some of the other stuff?

Ive already:

Guide Pages:
    -Pass on the sodier/giraffe page.
    -Pass on SL page, + added an up to date introduction and removed the old "giraffe beacon" info.
    -

Other Pages:
    - Placeholder TO-DO page. (better than nothing :P )
    - Copy pasted Eso's mentoring post into mentorship page as a placeholder until he edits it.
    -
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 03-06-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    One of the reasons that people avoid very large width columns on websites is trying to control line lengths - overly wide columns on widescreen displays can create really awkwardly long lines of text that are difficult to read (as you'll know, if you've ever accidentally printed a word document landscape instead of portrait). So that's usually the reason for it.

I think the important thing is to get the information written and in place. We can then play around with text styles until the end of time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In terms of colours, I would probably try making the background and header above the menu bar purple (probably overlapping the menu bar, so the bottom edges align), and make the logo text white. So the entire top is purple, while the entire bottom remains (off)white.

I would probably keep header text black, since you don't want information to get too cluttered/confused. Link text in purple would be cool tho.

Still reckon that the layout of text should be clearer and (at least look) simpler, at the moment there are too many different alignments going on, but this will probably be an ongoing design concern rather than something we can immediately fix.

Updated the last of the copied guides with formatting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    New purple headers and hypertext looks awesome.

I've updated the header with a purple background and added some buttons to the sidebar (anyone with some spare time, please feel free to tidy those pngs up. The PSu one, in particualr, needs rounded edges).

The links to "How to join us", "New Member Introduction" and "Outfit Guide" under the header could do with being buttons rather than text to pick them out. Given they are probably the most important things we'll be directing people to the outfit for. Having them as buttons will also solve the problem of the odd alignment that side of the page.

I will have a go at some point, once the website basics are sorted, but if anyone wants to have a stab at knocking up some buttons for these links, it would be appreciated.

(Live oufit info can be moved.)
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

To Do list:

Every page that is linked to from the menu under the header needs to be written and then edited.

For anything under "outfit guide" which has been written, please give it a proof reading pass & formatting check. Try to keep formatting consistent across pages.

If the page is empty, start to write it. Almost all of the info you will need can be found in the outfit guide google doc:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

If it's not there than what should be there is probably summarised in the design brief:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Pages under the "outfit organisation" may be special cases.

For "Roster" i'm gonna have a stab at getting this direct from the API. Anyone with php who wants to help, please come forward. There's some decent snippets over at the PSU forums: http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...splay.php?f=89

Thoughts on the "Apply for a promotion" page welcome. The section for Balloon Leaders needs writing. I think we can keep people being nominated / seconded on the forums. It just needs this system described and a link to the forum added.

The "shared to do list" is more a "would like to have" than a "need to make happen". The to-do lists that are WP plugins require people to be registered for the site to be used. The website's much better, I think, if it's not yet another place people need to sign in to. There are alternatives I'm gonna have a look at. Suggestions welcomed.

We also need a way for people to volunteer and be highlighted as "project leaders" as per the last outfit chat. The roster is the best place to do this. The roster is the next thing I'm gonna work on after the outfit introduction & guide.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG