Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar

Policy on spoilers

Not sure if there's official word on this.

What is the policy with regard to posting spoilers? I got spoilt by going into the Bioshock Infinite thread, by spoilers being posted in open wording, and obviously I'd expect people to be talking about the end of the game in there, but shouldn't whiting out text be mandatory for such a new game? I know you could say, "don't go in the thread if you don't want to be spoiled" but I just wanted to ask a question about the game and it's the simplest thing to do to white text out.

There's nothing in the rules about is as far as I can see, something that could be looked into please? It's nice to talk about games as you play them : (
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I think everyone should have the courtesy to use either *spoiler* or white text.

However, I will say that any thread that's specifically on a game, ala Bioshock Infinite is going to be almost nothing but an open discussion of the game after the first two or three days of release.

I wish we could get proper spoiler tags. There's some screen shots from Bioshock Infinite that I'd love to post but they might be considered spoilers.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    By Page 6 (Or 24? Why don't you people use 40 posts per page?) in the Bioshock thread you're asking for trouble.

I want mouse-over spoiler text (IMDB style), but not expandable boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I think everyone should have the courtesy to use either *spoiler* or white text.

However, I will say that any thread that's specifically on a game, ala Bioshock Infinite is going to be almost nothing but an open discussion of the game after the first two or three days of release.

I wish we could get proper spoiler tags. There's some screen shots from Bioshock Infinite that I'd love to post but they might be considered spoilers.
    I don't mind open discussion at all, but people should be able to ask questions and discuss little bits without open spoilers of the games ending right there : (

Proper spoiler tags would be great though.

Yeah I agree with you Sketch, I bloody hate spoilers.

All my friends have an agreement amongst ourselves not to opening discuss games or movies, unless given permission by the other people around you as not to spoil it for a week or two after release.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    You might have some success making a thread titled something like "Bioshock Infinite Discussion (SPOILER-FREE)", I feel most people would respect such a thing. =)

(I don't know how many replies it would get considering there's a couple other threads about it already, but judging from past trends, when a big new game comes out you can never have too many threads about it. :P)

Spoiler tags would be nice too, although I have a weird malady where if I see a spoiler I have to open it up even if I don't want to know. =P
    Last edited by Berzee; 01-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    I wish we could get proper spoiler tags.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Proper spoiler tags would be great though.
    Thirded!

I wonder why this board hasn't got any? The implementation of such should be rather trivial, no?

My current workaround is to squint whenever I'm in the vicinity of potential spoiler-heavy threads. It works sufficiently well but I don't know if there are any long-term effects ...

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    You might have some success making a thread titled something like "Bioshock Infinite Discussion (SPOILER-FREE)", I feel most people would respect such a thing. =)

(I don't know how many replies it would get considering there's a couple other threads about it already, but judging from past trends, when a big new game comes out you can never have too many threads about it. :P)

Spoiler tags would be nice too, although I have a weird malady where if I see a spoiler I have to open it up even if I don't want to know. =P
    Haha I do the exact same thing sometimes. Trained myself not too anymore though.
    Regarding creating a new thread, I thought about that and it'd work I suppose, it just seems to be a waste to have two threads with discussion divided, especially when all it takes is spoilering something. Even a warning!

Jelly, try flipping the monitor upside down too, although you might adopt an Austrailian accent.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've avoided every BioShock Infinite thread for just this reason. I've even stopped looking at the screenshot thread. I do agree with your points here, but I still wonder what the heck you were even thinking going into the thread in the first place. That's a bit like DVRing a sports game and trying to not learn about the outcome until you can get home and watch it, and then checking espn.com on your work computer and getting upset that they showed the result on the main page.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

As I said above I just went in to ask a question about the game and was greeted with endgame spoilers. I had read the threads first few pages, and while I expect spoilers to get posted, at least marking that they will be there should be mandatory rather than just as soon as the game's released it becoming okay to post about the end of the game.

So the ESPN thing doesn't really work. It's like asking a mate who is playing in a football match that you've recorded and then them just telling you who won.

A Spoiler tag would be excellent. :)

People who spoil have a spot reserved for them in...well somewhere haha. It's a pet peeve that irks me to no end. A little while ago I was wanting to watch Battlestar Galactica and someone who had no filter on his mouth blurted out the ending. He wasn't doing it to be mean...he just didn't have enough sense to know that there are people who don't like to have things spoiled.
    If one watches movies or plays games (especially one who is a member of a forum that is about one of those things) should know spoilers are no good. But alas, there will always be those people.

I'm new to this site so I'll take this thread as a warning about entering a field of spoilers in some threads out there. I hope a system does get implemented somewhat like IMDB has.

I've a friend that on several occasions has ruined movies right at the start. We all get together and someone brings a movie. On several occasions this guy has sat there for about five minutes until he cops he's seen it already and then says (not out of spite or anything) "ohhh yeah, this is the one where your man is really a ghost" or something along those lines.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    We need to adopt a GAF style approach of *spoiler* and *non spoiler* threads tbh.

I've a friend that on several occasions has ruined movies right at the start. We all get together and someone brings a movie. On several occasions this guy has sat there for about five minutes until he cops he's seen it already and then says (not out of spite or anything) "ohhh yeah, this is the one where your man is really a ghost" or something along those lines.
    This person is not your friend.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....