Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear John.

Dear John.

hey there, mr walker. I post here in the hopes of reaching you personally and most of all amicably.
    I totally understand that a lot of topics in the gaming industry (and beyond, probably) annoy the fuck out of you, especially with the latest addition to the team, even if its not the core team (I mean cara, of course), being used as an excuse to complain about you, women in the gaming world and RPS "decline in quality" (which I heavily disagree with); but you always seem to pick up a "hot topic" and complain the shit out of it.

now, Ive heard a lot of people complain about you or your writing or both, I havent read too much of your stuff so I have no real opinion on this. (my reason is that most of the things you write arent necessarily on my list of interests for reading on RPS), however I am interested in your thoughts on it all. I know you post your opinions a lot on the main page, but here you dont really have to pay too much attention to readers or somesuch.

I offer you a place to vent that is not the main page!

Sincerely,
    Tom "QuantaCat" De Roeck.

note: I will have anyone being nonexcellent removed.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Solium Infernums unit description for The Bane of the Righteous
    Do not underestimate the effects of these creatures, my dear lord. Your suggested disposal disheartens me. Failure at oneís job does not grant that one the ability to circumvent authority. I may lack the physical means to lean your actions, though I do posses a prowess above strength. As such, I have made this letter public, and I presume you will stay your ground while the Choir works towards a more accommodating solution.
    --A letter from Cleric Brunther to Cleric Maximus upon his discovery of Maximusís intent to dissolve the Bane of the Righteous
    I'll be quite honest, my favourite thing about all these argument threads is that I actually miss most of them because I didn't find the subject matter interesting so I can just look out from my little shelf and go "Ha, I wasn't part of that nonsense".
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    I'm really not sure what it is you're asking me to respond to.

Quite. Thread seems... odd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
    I'm really not sure what it is you're asking me to respond to.
    I think it's maybe he's saying you could use the forums as a test bed for a rant before going full steam ahead perhaps?
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I like Walker and appreciate the articles he writes.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

well, it seemed like you needed a space for venting really. also, you also seem to pick topics that are highly hot at the moment. it almost seems uncanny. do you really get annoyed at all of them? (because personally, I cant muster any feelings for DRM whatsoever, nor did lucasarts closing hit me that much even though I loved the everliving shit out of their games) there must be something everyone currently seems obsessed with and trying to cause shitstorms that you simply dont give a shit about?

essentially, Im interested in person john, not journo john. if there is a difference.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

do you think Im trolling john? do you think Im trying to critisize him in some way?

the answer is no. now if youre so hellbent on disliking "such arguments", then get out.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'd very much prefer not having to wade through your pieces on social justice to get to news about games.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I'd very much prefer not having to wade through your pieces on social justice to get to news about games.
    Wade? What a load of bullshit. There's 2 (or 3, depending on how you wish to look at the LoL-article) in the first 6 pages. and 1 (or 2, depending on whether that LoL-article is counted) are by Nathan.

Am I getting told off for noticing the thread shares a title with a movie?

no for posting three useless posts. so please either contribute or wait until you do.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 04-04-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    no for posting three useless posts. so please either contribute or wait until you do.
    Okay, I'll bite.

The first post was not useless, if you don't understand the significance of the comparison to making a piece of supposedly personal letter public then I suggest you ponder on it a little.

The second was worthless, the third was asking why you told me off which itself of dubious worth.

Banned
    See an article about social justice.
    Don't click it.
    ???
    Profit

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    And this is why I don't like self-appointed community managers.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

youre not a fan of arranging things yourself, even if youre not appointed anything, dont you?

also, who says its self appointed.

goddamnit. I wanted john to post. I probably was too unclear what I wanted.
    - Tom De Roeck.

And I think that's why it's important that those articles exists. Games doesn't exist in a vacuum and showing the ugly stuff behind them is important, especially for the people that don't want to see it.

The language is a little broken, I imagine some meaning was lost.

yeah, its like assuming they just appear in stores. or interwebs.

@helio: yeah, I guess. typing all of this shit on my phone is no fun.
    - Tom De Roeck.