Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear John.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The language is a little broken, I imagine some meaning was lost.
    Quanta's post or mine?
    I'm sleepy. Which could explain my confusion/broken english.

Sorry. My next post will be after I get some sleep.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Quanta's post or mine?
    I'm sleepy. Which could explain my confusion/broken english.

Sorry. My next post will be after I get some sleep.
    QuantaCat, he cleared that up though.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    And I think that's why it's important that those articles exists. Games doesn't exist in a vacuum and showing the ugly stuff behind them is important, especially for the people that don't want to see it.
    I remember these guys not running anything about the Eurogamer-Rab fiasco last year because "RPS is a site about games". That's what I'm asking for here. And I don't think sensationalist articles not backed by facts and figures are gonna help anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    youre not a fan of arranging things yourself, even if youre not appointed anything, dont you?
    Let me explain to you the grand hierarchy of moderation, in descending order of desirability:

- Paid, third-party, disinterested moderators (closest thing you can get to objectivity)
    - The owners of the site (biased, but they get to choose the character of their space)
    - No moderation (the community decides the community; the inmates run the asylum)
    - Appointed volunteers (idiots who use their powers to win personal arguments, but with a patina of editorial control)
    - Non-appointed volunteers (idiots with over-inflated egos)

Why are volunteers picked from the community worse than no moderation? Because you can either participate in the proceedings or you can moderate them. You cannot do both, because such is a clear conflict of interest.

The sort of Almighty Ra delusions coming out of the Conclave is quite frankly abhorrent, and even if this forum needed a mod, you are not it. As for arranging things myself, if you haven't noticed, I have quite pointedly not asserted unwarranted authority over the proceedings of this forum because it is not my role to do so. Would that you would take the hint.
    Last edited by Nalano; 05-04-2013 at 05:50 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

you could be right. however, if you had read all of that, then you know its not much more than a priority report system. which it is staying.
    also, I like to imagine that people like shoooop and some others chilled just by pointing out that they could be cooler than falling for the old kad is evil shtick again, and I didnt even pretend to have power over anything here for that.

but I definitely agree with "participating != neutral enough". jim gets to listen to my drivel before he acts on anything anyway, so I like to think it's doubly verified before acted on.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

essentially, Im interested in person john, not journo john. if there is a difference.
    Get your coat, John. You've pulled.

o_O

Dont get the reference.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Dont get the reference.
    "Get your coat love, you've pulled" is a classic (terrible) UK chat-up line.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Wow, this will not end well. I'm guessing this is in response to John's article about those useless statistics? Yeah, waving a red flag at a bull there Quanta... I do not want to be here when (if?) he sees this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    - Appointed volunteers (idiots who use their powers to win personal arguments, but with a patina of editorial control)
    You've had bad experiences with them, I take it...

Why are volunteers picked from the community worse than no moderation? Because you can either participate in the proceedings or you can moderate them. You cannot do both, because such is a clear conflict of interest.
    Perhaps, but they're still answering to admins. I was the moderator of a major IT forum going back many years now and I was highly active on the forums as well (I also wrote articles, they weren't very good). We did have a moderator who did exactly what you said, and he had a personal vendetta against this other guy. The admin ate his spleen and defecated over his avatar, demoting him to teach him humility. So long as the administrative hierarchy is respected and retains power, volunteer mods can work.

The sort of Almighty Ra delusions coming out of the Conclave is quite frankly abhorrent, and even if this forum needed a mod, you are not it.
    Well... erm... I'll be right back.
    *Runs for hills*
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

He's seen it and replied already. Dont think Im provoking him.

I assume he'll just ignore it instead.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Wow, this will not end well. I'm guessing this is in response to John's article about those useless statistics? Yeah, waving a red flag at a bull there Quanta... I do not want to be here when (if?) he sees this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
    I'm really not sure what it is you're asking me to respond to.
    He already did
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    He already did
    Um...
    ...if I didn't see it, he didn't see me.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Activated Node
    well, it seemed like you needed a space for venting really. also, you also seem to pick topics that are highly hot at the moment. it almost seems uncanny. do you really get annoyed at all of them? (because personally, I cant muster any feelings for DRM whatsoever, nor did lucasarts closing hit me that much even though I loved the everliving shit out of their games) there must be something everyone currently seems obsessed with and trying to cause shitstorms that you simply dont give a shit about?

essentially, Im interested in person john, not journo john. if there is a difference.
    As far as I can tell, you're suggesting that I'm lying or insincere. Neither is true.

ugh. no, not at all. I want to know if theres something that doesnt annoy you about the gaming world, because it seems like you hate pretty much all. (I also seem to remember you mentioning one time that you dislike most indie games, that could be wrong though)

Essentially, is there something you find POSITIVE about current gaming development and its products?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Banned
    You shat all over the BF4 reveal declaring that no ones interested in the single player (even though it's a better showcase for the tech Vs some random MP footage ) yet judging by your battlelog account, you've not logged one single hour of BF3 ever.

One suspects that if they'd shown just MP footage, the complaint would of been 'Why show us MP, and not give us hands on?'
    Last edited by Kadayi; 05-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Thats not helping. Nor is it what Im really asking.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quanta, this thread is like some kind of unwanted open intervention. It's like you've told John you're bringing him for ice-cream and then end up in the church basement at an AA meeting.

If he wanted to vent he could use twitter or even the main page (it's partly his site). If you're worried about him or something, just fire off an email.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Thats not helping. Nor is it what Im really asking.
    Which is why this is a terrible idea to do on a public forum where anyone can speak their mind.

Steam ID

yeah. doubt hed answer as it seems like all I get across is apparently that I hate him and want him to explain himself.

maybe jams would be so kind and lock the thread?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Quanta, this thread is like some kind of unwanted open intervention. It's like you've told John you're bringing him for ice-cream and then end up in the church basement at an AA meeting.
    I already implied this!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/