View Poll Results: Which ROUGH SKETCH(ES) of the logo do you prefer. You may select more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo 1

5 8.06%
  • Logo 2

20 32.26%
  • Logo 3

16 25.81%
  • Logo 4

30 48.39%
  • Logo 5

4 6.45%
  • Logo 6

0 0%
  • Logo 7

9 14.52%
  • Logo 8

18 29.03%
  • Logo 9

4 6.45%
  • I, personally, would be willing to submit a logo design to fit a brief.

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Rizlar's latest will do. Don't upload to twitter , as there is horrible compression on the one that's in the channel right now. imgur, mediafire or rizlar's link should work?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Yeah, that compression was butt-ugly. Good job though, everyone!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Heads up Rizlar:

The TIFF file you posted does not open with layers in GIMP.

I assume (?) you are using Adobe software to create it. For some reason the TIFF files they create cannot be opened with layers except by other Adobe software... (The TIFF file format allows for proprietary metadata, which it seems Adobe uses)

The PSD would help, because Adobe has made the spec public such that GIMP and other programs have little to no issue with them.

----------

I will upload a version to the rockplanetshotgun domain that we can send a tweet to TRay with a link to.

Did he post specs anywhere other than "png or jpg". I assume a 1024x PNG would be fine? I just created a 1024x one from the recent "supermassive" TIFF comes out at a couple of hundred KB with GIMP's lowest level of PNG compression, and has no colour shift nor artefacting, but it lacks a transparent background because of the problems with Adobe generated TIFF files...
    Last edited by Cooper; 13-05-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    Irrelevant now.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 13-05-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Outdated info.

I would be inclined to say keep the planet texture, we don't want it to just look like a sticker on our shoulders/vehicles.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

The .tiff? Yeah. Can you .psd me please?

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    I would be inclined to say keep the planet texture, we don't want it to just look like a sticker on our shoulders/vehicles.
    I mean on twitter and youtube Nick, not on the site or in game. At smaller sizes, the planet texture just blurrs the image. Of course we are keeping the texture, its just a suggestion that avatars dont use this part.

I took the liberty of updating the Twitter account with a new version of the logo with less compression.

Because of the way Twitter works, it will re-size the image depending upon where it is viewed. 256x covers all bases.

Here is the image I uploaded to Twitter:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/Logo_256x_BlackBG.png

https://twitter.com/RPSPlanetside2

Click on the image for the original (which has been untouched by Twitter, save for re-sizing for where it appears)

Do we remove the planetary texture for the Twitter-sized profile pic? If so, I'll need hands on the 'supermassive' .psd

I think the vehicle decal should include that planetary texture. I think YouTube and Twitter avatars, and infantry decals, possibly not.
    Last edited by Cooper; 13-05-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I think the Twitter avatar looks good on my little iPhone screen with the planet texture, actually. Let's not remove it until we know for certain that it looks bad. It is fairly discreet I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

I will upload a version to the rockplanetshotgun domain that we can send a tweet to TRay with a link to.

Did he post specs anywhere other than "png or jpg". I assume a 1024x PNG would be fine? I just created a 1024x one from the recent "supermassive" TIFF comes out at a couple of hundred KB with GIMP's lowest level of PNG compression, and has no colour shift nor artefacting, but it lacks a transparent background because of the problems with Adobe generated TIFF files...
    Yes. Remember TRay is not strapped for bandwidth. Send him the largest file you can get away with, preferably a power of two. 1024 seems good. He can resize it down to whatever size he wants the decal to be. If he has to resize up, things are going to be ugly.

Also, double check we have the alpha channel in. A logo with a big black box around it would be very ugly. Can I suggest that we get the logo up on rockplanetshotgun.com and then have a small period of time everyone interested can download it and check for any artefacts and such?

PS: We should also pull all images we create through optipng to compress them further.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I think the Twitter avatar looks good on my little iPhone screen with the planet texture, actually. Let's not remove it until we know for certain that it looks bad. It is fairly discreet I find.
    Yeah, Twitter outputs the image you upload as your profile pic in a whole range of sizes depending upon where it appears.

The profile pic on the website is only 82x but it will appear larger elsewhere. On those larger appearances, the planetary texture looks fine. It looks less good at <100px, but Twitter does not allow for different images for varying sizes.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

I took the liberty of updating the Twitter account with a new version of the logo with less compression.

Because of the way Twitter works, it will re-size the image depending upon where it is viewed. 256x covers all bases.

Here is the image I uploaded to Twitter:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/Logo_256x_BlackBG.png

https://twitter.com/RPSPlanetside2

Click on the image for the original (which has been untouched by Twitter, save for re-sizing for where it appears)

Do we remove the planetary texture for the Twitter-sized profile pic? If so, I'll need hands on the 'supermassive' .psd

I think the vehicle decal should include that planetary texture. I think YouTube and Twitter avatars, and infantry decals, possibly not.
    Agreed.

Here is a version at 256x with and without texture. I removed a little of the white (Black) space too, so that we get the most out of the space at avatar size.

With: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?iym5h0ff0tf0y00
    Without: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?k4rjzw43x4vn173

Also, here is a PSD: http://www.mediafire.com/?24b8w1z7d6bdae4

YouTube suggests that the original be 800x

I don't know why, but it does.

That being said, whatever algorithm it uses to scale is not that bad. So I suggest you scale Rizlar's "supermassive" Tiff to an 800x PNG and upload that to the YouTube channel?
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Assumed .tiff would be more widely used, ah well. Here is a link to the .psd of the huge, layered file. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xkq8ab4lf5z4zro

Anyone manage to get a version away to T-Ray yet?

Edit: now with new, potentially more GIMP-friendly layers!

Edit: hmm, looking back at it there is no reason the .tiff should have been that large either, it was over three times as large as the new .psd. Weird, I always thought tiffs tended to be smaller. Guess it's not the case when layers are involved.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 13-05-2013 at 11:26 PM.

No. Here is a 1024x1024 PNG with transparency that I ran through OptiPNG though (191 kB):

http://imgur.com/P2ekwgU

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Don't know if it is OptiPNG or an issue with the .psd, but the planet texture is a lot harsher in that image.

If it appears like that in your .psd viewer, this giant layered file should work better for you (changed the semi-transparent planet texture layer to a solid layer) http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xkq8ab4lf5z4zro

Also, not sure if it should be that big. Presumably T-Ray wants them to try out in game? Is this one I linked before big enough/not too big for twitter?
    Last edited by Rizlar; 13-05-2013 at 11:15 PM.

It's probably the GIMP. Compressing a new one now.

http://imgur.com/YT75U7R

EDIT: T-ray can resize it to whatever size he sees fit.

YouTube suggests that the original be 800x

I don't know why, but it does.

That being said, whatever algorithm it uses to scale is not that bad. So I suggest you scale Rizlar's "supermassive" Tiff to an 800x PNG and upload that to the YouTube channel?
    Well when I have tried higher resolution versions, each time the uploaded product has been fairly horrible. Ill test it out, but for now 256 is working fine. Where did you find this info, because there are many places that suggest smaller resolutions for best results.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, compatibility issues. Forgot that layer was semi-transparent. Are you reducing the image size at all before making the .png? Cos unless T-Ray is printing banners, he definitely does not want an image the scale of the original. He didn't ask for high res images, so taking it down to 300dpi, or even 100dpi should be more than big enough.

800 pixels square does seem rather large for an avatar, perhaps they meant 80? :P

Ive seen people suggesting between 50 and 250 ish, which is why im also a bit confused with that. is there a link to the youtube post about it?