View Poll Results: Which ROUGH SKETCH(ES) of the logo do you prefer. You may select more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo 1

5 8.06%
  • Logo 2

20 32.26%
  • Logo 3

16 25.81%
  • Logo 4

30 48.39%
  • Logo 5

4 6.45%
  • Logo 6

0 0%
  • Logo 7

9 14.52%
  • Logo 8

18 29.03%
  • Logo 9

4 6.45%
  • I, personally, would be willing to submit a logo design to fit a brief.

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Colour is the decision now. We have a basic design that works and needs little work to finalise.

I like the idea of a purple giraffe. It makes sense and purple is my favourite colour. Though that isn't a decree as such. If not purple than a colour that works well with giraffe camo is an important decision.

Personally I prefer bolder, brighter colours over the more muted colours BasicPaul has put forward. But only in some cases. The top two of the four Ridebird posted earlier are a bit too much I think.

To that end, I've taken some of BasicPauly's colour combos and rendered them in less 'pastel' hues as well as included the combo I would chose to go with a purple giraffe.

Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I really think colour variant four is the one to go with - to me, variant one is too garish, variants two and three just don't grab me at all. Four has the best balance of colour and shape as far as fitting in with the Vanu Giraffes (and I love the giraffe design).

So yeah ... if we were polled on these four, I'd vote for variant four.

Me too. I mean, yes, a purple giraffe would be cool and all, but it sort of forces the outer colours to be bright which, in my opinion, doesn't look as neat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I much prefer the background from 4. How would that look with the giraffe from 2?
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Activated Node
    Definitely like the purple background/green ring more. Had a friend point out to me that that will stand out better on default Vanu colours for people who don't yet have giraffe camo.

Network Hub
    Re. Cooper's latest 4; I like 4 best, although the giraffe still looks a bit subdued / muddy to me.

3 is also good, although I think the background purple is a bit too dark.

I like the purple giraffe in 1, but the outer yellow ring looks odd - a bit too mustardy.

In 2, 3 and 4 I think the greens are a bit too green - vanu colours are more cyan / teal to my eye.

This is 4 with somewhat boosted saturation in yellow / purple, and the green shifted cyan a bit:

fk55yxsn.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    2 and 3 are the best from those choices, but in 2 the purple could be a little bit darker like in 3, and in 3 the yellow could be a little less bright.

I still hate having such bright colours, but at least these aren't as garishly bright as the versions some people like. I prefer predominant green but again if you decide on purple then at least make the yellow less obnoxious.

Just to round it off, I don't like 1 at all.

Protorp, your green is too bright and drowns out the yellow where it meets the green. It hurts my eyes to try as focus on the yellow horn for example, because the green here interferes with it.

Sorry for having a bit of a rant, but the thing is it's a pretty thankless job, and it's not that I want thanks at all because Im not at all bothered, but I have received plenty of criticism from people who don't like me and/or the way I do things. It's fine to just do a job, but to then get shit for it is not helpful nor nice. Furthermore, some of the comments I've seen seem to be a little snide or sarcastic. I've been cast as some kind of authoritarian, which is simply the opposite of what I'm trying to be. Most of my suggestions and wants have been in line with other people's suggestions and designs or comments. I've steered away from my design towards Rizlars, and have accepted most people's suggestions. It's hard to watch something you have been working to perfect go in a direction that seems backwards to you, by which I mean we have a nice logo and colours and people seem to want nasty colours. This is an opinion of course.

Anyway, whatever will be, will be.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 16-04-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Network Hub
    1 would work better for an NC Outfit. I prefer 4 though maybe with a slightly brighter giraffe.

Network Hub
    Pauly, I just think you need to work on how you express yourself. You have a tendency to talk in absolutes when putting forward your point and arguing against others; it comes across as quite heavy handed in situations like this where the discussion is about something subjective, where multiple peope hold a varied range of - to them, valid - opinions and preferences.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protorp View Post
    Pauly, I just think you need to work on how you express yourself. You have a tendency to talk in absolutes when putting forward your point and arguing against others; it comes across as quite heavy handed in situations like this where the discussion is about something subjective, where multiple peope hold a varied range of - to them, valid - opinions and preferences.
    Exactly, this is probably what I, lacking better words, meant to convey with labeling elements of some of BasicPauly's posts "slightly authoritarian". It might not make any difference, but I want to tell you it was not my intention to offend.

Thank you for explaining your viewpoint in your two latest posts BasicPauly. I am confident that your strong opinion about the logo will not get in the way of a fair decision making process. I have also read the original thread about the Youtube channel/logo, and I can see that you have put a lot of effort into that. Even though you say you're not bothered by it being a thankless job, I would like to say thank you - your effort has obviously been a significant part in reaching the current state of the logo production.

I would now like to get back to the discussion about the logo colours.

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Could someone perhaps make a version of the new logo with these colours? Would they interfere in some way with the current giraffe silhouette, as it has the hatching in a darker colour (I suppose the hatching would have to be in a lighter colour with a black giraffe head)?

The colour in the logo above (BasicPauly's from the Youtube channel) are to me a good compromise between garishness and sophistication.

VS are traditionally purple & green. The cyan / teal as secondary was introduced for the armour for PS2.

The issue with using Cyan is that if you use any kind of yellow you basically have an NC colour scheme. I tried colours on number 1 with purple borders and yellow giraffe and it just screamed NC...
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Design by committee is always going to be a thankless task - but that's the way things have to get done on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    VS are traditionally purple & green. The cyan / teal as secondary was introduced for the armour for PS2.
    Ultimately we're Vanu Giraffes - so my instinct would be that we should really be following those schemes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protorp View Post
    People who dislike how I come across:
    I have stated time and time again, whether in a post or not that despite how it comes across, it is an opinion. I dont see why it matters how I convey a point if its effective to the degree that I want it. The whole point was that I wanted to be stern in how I percieve it from a graphical standpoint. I havent said "no we wont be doing this" or "thats a bad idea", but I do state when I dont like something.

I view everybodies opinions as valid, but at the same time I dont feel it necessary to treat everybody like they might get offended by the slightest thing. The way I speak is 'matter of fact' for a reason, by which I mean the way I talk, not that everything I say is fact. I dont want to offend, and people are more than welcome to disagree, but I see no reason to frame what I say in a different way just so that it comes across slightly less heavy handed to some.

You and others might not like it, but its not me being harsh, its me being objectively opinionated. I state what I feel is true, not so that other people think it, but so that people are sure of what I think.

Again, this is a text discussion, so its easy to read something into it that might simply not be there. Another part of what seems to be an issue to you probably comes from the fact that I type whatever I think at the time and click send. I dont have the desire to waste time editing a post to be gramatically correct or what you would consider light handed. There really is no need for something so informal to be written to a high standard.

I dont mean any of this to sound too hard hitting, its just true. Im not in a bad mood, im fairly happy as I write this, but its hard to convey in ordinary text.

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Exactly, this is probably what I, lacking better words, meant to convey with labeling elements of some of BasicPauly's posts "slightly authoritarian". It might not make any difference, but I want to tell you it was not my intention to offend.

Thank you for explaining your viewpoint in your two latest posts BasicPauly. I am confident that your strong opinion about the logo will not get in the way of a fair decision making process. I have also read the original thread about the Youtube channel/logo, and I can see that you have put a lot of effort into that. Even though you say you're not bothered by it being a thankless job, I would like to say thank you - your effort has obviously been a significant part in reaching the current state of the logo production.
    No harm done, and youve put some good suggestions through yourself. Hopefully now you can understand why I come across this way. I never enforce my opinion, but I will always do what I can to at least reach a conclusion that in some way makes me happy as well as others. This is why im fairly passionate and coming across quite harshly perhaps about this and other issues. I want to make sure that im heard, and I dont feel that a light and fluffy post would convey my view as well.

Really, I dont want thanks else I wouldnt have done it, but I said that part just to try and put across my standpoint.

Back to the topic at hand:
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Could someone perhaps make a version of the new logo with these colours? Would they interfere in some way with the current giraffe silhouette, as it has the hatching in a darker colour (I suppose the hatching would have to be in a lighter colour with a black giraffe head)?

The colour in the logo above (BasicPauly's from the Youtube channel) are to me a good compromise between garishness and sophistication.
    These colours were chosen based on the idea of having a texture behind the image. It works well having that retro poster effect, but these colours might not work quite so well as solid tone. I do like the colours, though perhaps the purple could be a little darker. One thing we havent tried is rizlars design with a dark purple giraffe (like in my design).

Cooper: dark purple (almost black giraffe head above) instead of yellow will contrast quite well if we went for the lighter cyan/purple design.

I did also have slight transparency on the giraffe head before, so that the circle shone thorugh.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 16-04-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Cooper: dark purple (almost black giraffe head above) instead of yellow will contrast quite well if we went for the lighter cyan/purple design.
    Like these?

Using colours from LaKroy's requested:

With cyan:
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

These colours were chosen based on the idea of having a texture behind the image. It works well having that retro poster effect, but these colours might not work quite so well as solid tone.
    Then would it also be possible to transfer the retro poster texture to the new logo? I think Cooper and Rizlar discussed how textures translate poorly to scalable vector images. However, I suppose it could still be an option if you sacrifice the scalability.

I like the look of those two, Cooper! Very nice neon touch, imagine if you could get an illuminated decal in game.

Both are very nice, but the cyan is of course closer to the Vanu theme. Also, it makes the giraffe head stand out more.

Definitely prefer the cyan - gives a real pop to the giraffe head element. Definitely prefer that colour combination.

Much simpler as well, which I always feel is kind of key for logo design.
    Last edited by sketchseven; 16-04-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Definitely definitely definitely. Definitely.

By the way, this variant made me think of this:

hotline_miami_head1.jpg

Furthermore, there's a giraffe mask in this game...
    Last edited by LaKroy; 16-04-2013 at 07:37 PM.

We're done here. Perfect colors.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Cooper;289921]Like these?

Using colours from LaKroy's requested:

QUOTE]

This. Lets just do this. Committees will always end up with a camel, so lets at least have the camel least likely to piss anyone off too much. And that right there is our Argo of a camel.