View Poll Results: Which ROUGH SKETCH(ES) of the logo do you prefer. You may select more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo 1

5 8.06%
  • Logo 2

20 32.26%
  • Logo 3

16 25.81%
  • Logo 4

30 48.39%
  • Logo 5

4 6.45%
  • Logo 6

0 0%
  • Logo 7

9 14.52%
  • Logo 8

18 29.03%
  • Logo 9

4 6.45%
  • I, personally, would be willing to submit a logo design to fit a brief.

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Wasn't that in itself an idea inspired by goonswarm?

http://oeg-home.ru/wp-content/gallery/bees/gs_bees.jpg

Friends don't let friends be inspired by goonswarm.

Ignoring good ideas from your enemies is as foolish as following their bad ones.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar

The spots don't actually seem to conflict with this particular design.

[@Paul

The combo of the headband and spots looks great. I can't see anything wrong with TACGIR being represented by this image? I tend to think more of Rambo when i see headbands, not ninjas. That whole Rambo theme better represents my personal experience of 'DeltaForce TACGIR'. A lot more "inyerface" gun toting and awesomeness. Which just goes to show, it's down to how individuals perceve it. At the end of the day though, it's just an image, not the TACGIR experience.

On a side note though, Ninjas actually wore civillian disguises, not bandanas, so i'm not sure what you mean there. Practitioners of Ninjitsu would wear the Shinobi? But other than that no widely documented use of headbands such as the one above... Perhaps youre thinking of TMNT? Which come to think of it is a fun thing right? (I never watched it much) Such as the theme and feeling encompassing this whole outfit group and logo, right? I suppose what i'm getting at is that whilst it wasnt really intended as more than a mere example, the logo or 'quirk' perhaps shouldnt be billed to live up to what it represents in precise detail. Personally, i think that it works fine. Regardless of it being a joke on another thread or not, I actually really like it!]

Infact, just by looking at it i can already imagine a set of old WW1 aviator goggles in its place for AIRGIR, which i think could look really nice! I think that as long as we can find a perfect middle ground for these characteristics/quirks (i.e them not being to big and silly, but them also being distinguishable enough) then perhaps youre right about not having to tone down the spots. However, i still think there's nothing wrong with slightly altering spot positioning when playing with 'logo quirks'. If trying out how NVIS goggles look means moving the top spot down more, then feel free to do it.

NVIS goggles might even be a better suit for the TACGIR logo? I guess we wont know 'till we see the drafts. In light of that, if anyone has any more suggestions for logo 'quirks' such as bandanas, NVIS, Aviator goggles. Please add them to the thread so we can start drafting!

Also, those who are invloved in the website, or to those who like contributing: Logo's or tab-images (similar to Rizlars ones for the YT background) could also be thought up here. (though be sure to actually post any ideas that you have to the actual website thread) Such as a Giraffe with a pipe for an RPS Outfit History tab, or a Giraffe&Rifle combo for a 'the troops' tab. (all rough examples off the top of my head) That kind of thing...
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Yeah, Thats essentially the last version I posted. Cyan would be an easy change.
    Nooo, that's more of a beet-red black to me. Plus your one has green as the main colour... I mean having the Giraffe much much more purpley, but keeping it at that darker end of the spectrum.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post

[@Paul

The combo of the headband and spots looks great. I can't see anything wrong with TACGIR being represented by this image? I tend to think more of Rambo when i see headbands, not ninjas. That whole Rambo theme better represents my personal experience of 'DeltaForce TACGIR'. A lot more "inyerface" gun toting and awesomeness. Which just goes to show, it's down to how individuals perceve it. At the end of the day though, it's just an image, not the TACGIR experience.

On a side note though, Ninjas actually wore civillian disguises, not bandanas, so i'm not sure what you mean there. Practitioners of Ninjitsu would wear the Shinobi? But other than that no widely documented use of headbands such as the one above... Perhaps youre thinking of TMNT? Which come to think of it is a fun thing right? (I never watched it much) Such as the theme and feeling encompassing this whole outfit group and logo, right? I suppose what i'm getting at is that whilst it wasnt really intended as more than a mere example, the logo or 'quirk' perhaps shouldnt be billed to live up to what it represents in precise detail. Personally, i think that it works fine. Regardless of it being a joke on another thread or not, I actually really like it!]

Infact, just by looking at it i can already imagine a set of old WW1 aviator goggles in its place for AIRGIR, which i think could look really nice! I think that as long as we can find a perfect middle ground for these characteristics/quirks (i.e them not being to big and silly, but them also being distinguishable enough) then perhaps youre right about not having to tone down the spots. However, i still think there's nothing wrong with slightly altering spot positioning when playing with 'logo quirks'. If trying out how NVIS goggles look means moving the top spot down more, then feel free to do it.

NVIS goggles might even be a better suit for the TACGIR logo? I guess we wont know 'till we see the drafts. In light of that, if anyone has any more suggestions for logo 'quirks' such as bandanas, NVIS, Aviator goggles. Please add them to the thread so we can start drafting!

Also, those who are invloved in the website, or to those who like contributing: Logo's or tab-images (similar to Rizlars ones for the YT background) could also be thought up here. (though be sure to actually post any ideas that you have to the actual website thread) Such as a Giraffe with a pipe for an RPS Outfit History tab, or a Giraffe&Rifle combo for a 'the troops' tab. (all rough examples off the top of my head) That kind of thing...
    Our cultures infatuation with ninjas is no more based on historical fact as our obsessions with pirates, zombies or vampires. You tell people ninjas didn't actually wear black but dark blue or headbands weren't the done thing and they'll just show you this;

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...yabusa.png.jpg

Having said that, going back a few points I'm not keen on the spots either. The silhouette is stronger without them and matches the simplicity of the logo better. At a push perhaps you could make the spots be diamonds, like squashed versions of the vanu points. Perfect straight lines. None at all is better though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Nooo, that's more of a beet-red black to me. Plus your one has green as the main colour... I mean having the Giraffe much much more purpley, but keeping it at that darker end of the spectrum.
    I meant the general idea rather than exact colours.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Having said that, going back a few points I'm not keen on the spots either. The silhouette is stronger without them and matches the simplicity of the logo better. At a push perhaps you could make the spots be diamonds, like squashed versions of the vanu points. Perfect straight lines. None at all is better though.
    I disagree, I find that the spots really help the logo (especially in rizlars original sidways giraffe, but maybe not these exact ones).

They look great, and break up the solid colour of the flat giraffe, giving it some much needed dimension that the logo and background have more of given the natural perception of concentric rings. Shoving a flat colour giraffe on top kind of ruins the flow for me, but I do think they need to be more natural and perhaps not so large and cut off.

Personally dont like this design. The yellow is horrible for a start . Cooper also moved the spots into the center of the neck but went a bit too far I think. My final issue is with the head poking into the outer ring. I think it looks much better inside the inner ring, separated from the outer colour.

Im not really sure about the head band in all honesty..

[@Paul

My experience was more that of get in there with smoke and IR vision and such, but I see what you mean. This is just another example of confusing imagery for the headband as well as other ideas. Things like aviator goggles/flight cap for an aerial division are fine as they are clear messages, but this has several different connotations.

First of all, might I say that "I never watched it much" is a crime .

Secondly, no I wasnt going by TMNT, though that is another example of how the headband could be percieved as ninja.
    What I was going for was the classically stereotypical black suited ninja who doesnt want to be seen at night kind of thing. Headbands are used in all kinds of martial arts, and while im not going to go into a history lesson I think the imagery is very strongly representative hand to hand combat, regardless of which cultural reference. Even in rambo, the headband is generally when he goes gung-ho on a bunch of peoples ass using all manner of combat styles, right?

Anyway, im not sure cooper would actually want the outfit to go down the route of dividing into special divisions of people sporting different logos, but it is a nice concept that could work IF we did. Just need the right imagery.

One step at a time eh? It's pretty bold to even start planning spinoffs for a logo we still haven't finished. Lets not write Frasier until we're sure Cheers is any good.

For the spots, I'm still not convinced. The art is done, we're onto engineering now. And with engineering you take away as many parts as you can without breaking anything. It's clearly a giraffe without the spots, they either should go or at least conform to the rest of the aesthetic. We're giraffes but we're still vanu, that should be a futuristic minimalist giraffe. Leave the messy lines to the NC.

One step at a time eh? It's pretty bold to even start planning spinoffs for a logo we still haven't finished. Lets not write Frasier until we're sure Cheers is any good.

For the spots, I'm still not convinced. The art is done, we're onto engineering now. And with engineering you take away as many parts as you can without breaking anything. It's clearly a giraffe without the spots, they either should go or at least conform to the rest of the aesthetic. We're giraffes but we're still vanu, that should be a futuristic minimalist giraffe. Leave the messy lines to the NC.
    I agree about not going any further with ideas, but I dont agree that some messy isnt good. I like what rizlars done with the sketchyness to some extents, and again I think we should wait and see his finished product before we think about removing anything from the design. I really like it as is, so lets just wait and see !

I don't mind the headband, it reminds me of Rambo too. But as an alternative perhaps you could stick a force blade in there somehow? Might be difficult since it's a profile, I dunno.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Regarding proportions of the logo Cooper posted, I rather like how the giraffe pokes into the outer circle. Gives the image more three-dimensionality. I like the headband, because TACGIR has so far been rather influenced by Ridebird's somewhat Rambo-like approach to PS2. ^_^ But anyway, too soon to decide on any of that yet, as people have been saying.

Personally I think VS stands for precision more than anything, so I'd like to see a version with geometrically precise imagery and a minimum of "sketchiness". No spots, no cross hatching, no sketch lines or asymmetries on the VS logo. Could this be arranged?

Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I don't mind the headband, it reminds me of Rambo too. But as an alternative perhaps you could stick a force blade in there somehow? Might be difficult since it's a profile, I dunno.
    Between the teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Personally I think VS stands for precision more than anything, so I'd like to see a version with geometrically precise imagery and a minimum of "sketchiness". No spots, no cross hatching, no sketch lines or asymmetries on the VS logo. Could this be arranged?
    That was my initial compromise, perfect rhomboid type shapes. I may knock one up instead of trying to articulate it in words. Give us a while.

Mascot?

You did that Dewi? That's really incredible, to the point where I'm embarrassed to even post what I'm about to post. Just expanding on the idea about precision spots, just a rough draft and I'd like someone more well versed in the dark arts of illustrator/photoshop to expand on this but this is the idea I was thinking if we have to have the spots at all;

You did that Dewi? That's really incredible, to the point where I'm embarrassed to even post what I'm about to post. Just expanding on the idea about precision spots, just a rough draft and I'd like someone more well versed in the dark arts of illustrator/photoshop to expand on this but this is the idea I was thinking if we have to have the spots at all;

Spots:
    Not sure about it. I dont hate them, im just not sure about diamond shapes. I think the asymmetry and randomness of the spots was a good contrast to the straight edges. The logo really benefits from not being perfect, and I think thats ideal, because as an outfit we are far from perfect (in a good way).

I dont know an alternative that would work quite as well as the spots did, but let me reiterate again that I think they need altering from the previous design because they dont work as well. The original spots were nicer I think.

Notice the general shape of the "body" of spots in the original composition. They form an almost oval shape that is unobtrusive and not as random. On top of this, not only do they fit nicely in the neck area, but they are all of roughly the same size. I also like how the semi circles atthe bottom mirror each other. It would be worth trying a spot composition closer to this, because I agree that there is something off about the current variant.

Again, not sure some angular symmetrical shape is the right way to go. So far, the charm of Rizlars logo has been the off centre vanu logo and the gritty look. I think this is something that is important to the feel. Rather than something that is clinical and sharp, it needs to be slightly off centre.

We have the clean lines of the circle positively conflicting with the very much anarchic yet smooth outline of the giraffe. We then have the vanu logo, slightly offset to the right, and not perfectly straight or pointy. The pointy aspect of the original vanu logo is something I really dislike, and smoothing the edges slightly but keeping the general feel of the logo works wonders to my eye. The combination of circles give a sense of depth, then the giraffe poking from bottom left to top right of the green circle. The spots then add an extra layer of dimension to the giraffe and keep it from looking too flat, but keep the poster effect of a nice clean cut logo.

Head sticking out:
    Again, dont like the head sticking out. Not only does it interfear the proportions, but it enforces colour requirements on having to have a decent contrast between the outer ring and giraffe. As it stands in rizlars current versions there is no need for this limitation. The head does protrude in Rizlars, just not too far. Also, having the head this large remooves one of the elements that I like, and thats having the vanu logo separated by a gap. It also removes the small part of the logo from above the head between ear/horn, which I think also helps the imagery.

There is more to it than the reasons above, but I cant quite put my finger on what else irks me about having the head so far out. Fact is, I just dont like it personally. It doesnt work for me.

Just expanding on the idea about precision spots, just a rough draft and I'd like someone more well versed in the dark arts of illustrator/photoshop to expand on this but this is the idea I was thinking if we have to have the spots at all;
    OK, I actually meant the VS logo, pointy thingy. Having that be sharp, exact geometric figures. I rather like the idea of these new spots though the contrast in colour is a bit too much for me.

Well, since we're not looking all that close to finalising anything I messed around with my youtube channel again. I'll rebrand when something is settled but in the meantime I thought I'd share;

Last edited by jaguar skills; 21-04-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    OK, I actually meant the VS logo, pointy thingy. Having that be sharp, exact geometric figures. I rather like the idea of these new spots though the contrast in colour is a bit too much for me.
    See, its the angular and sharp geometry that I really dislike actually. I think taking the vanu logo and making it slightly off center and smooth really helps promote that, while we are vanu, we are different. Hard edged but soft natured if you will.

Really, the pointyness doesnt strike me as vanu, because I think more of sleek smooth shapes and flowing natural design. I think the only thing that I would really consider pointy about vanu is the scythe.. That and the pointless decorations you can buy :P.

Regardless, I dont think having sharp geometrical lines works as well as continuing the flowing natural feel of circles and giraffe. They principally contradict each other in some ways, and without a redesign I dont personally think it suits our current logos direction.

When you look at giraffes, they don't really have what I'd call spots at all, more like patches. Maybe something to think about, but I'm not sure how it would look on the logo. I'm with Esoteric on the underlying logo though, it looks somehow impotent without the sharp, precise features.