View Poll Results: Which ROUGH SKETCH(ES) of the logo do you prefer. You may select more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo 1

5 8.06%
  • Logo 2

20 32.26%
  • Logo 3

16 25.81%
  • Logo 4

30 48.39%
  • Logo 5

4 6.45%
  • Logo 6

0 0%
  • Logo 7

9 14.52%
  • Logo 8

18 29.03%
  • Logo 9

4 6.45%
  • I, personally, would be willing to submit a logo design to fit a brief.

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    When you look at giraffes, they don't really have what I'd call spots at all, more like patches. Maybe something to think about, but I'm not sure how it would look on the logo. I'm with Esoteric on the underlying logo though, it looks somehow impotent without the sharp, precise features.
    I see what you mean about the spots thing and yes perhaps an alternative should be looked into, though I think having some form of camo pattern there is an important aspect. Until I see a better solution im not sold on the idea because the giraffe head looks too flat and empty without.

I totally disagree with you regarding the underlying logo part though.

I think it looks much better without pointy edges to it.. I think the pointy nature of the vanu logo is possibly the worst part of it. I think the original vanu logo is ugly to be totally honest, its lacking something but I cant put my finger on it.

One of the things that I really didnt like about some of the first proposed ideas for our logo was the use of the vanu symbol in its original form. Not only is it lacking a little in originality, but I think the vanu logo itself is flawed. To me, its pretty ugly, and that can be largely attributed to the fact that it is sharp and precise.

The version that rizlar produced isnt that far from the original version, but something that it does really well is separate components. It hides the middle of the vanu logo. On top of this, the ever so slightly rounded tips remove some of the harshness and make it much more natural. The way that the vanu logo is harsh and pointy is detrimental to its appeal from my perspective, because as I said before, I think more of smooth surfaces and biological tech when I think vanu.

The sharpness makes it stick out and it becomes a bit in your face. While I now agree that the use of the vanu logo in the picture works well, I dont think the eye should be focusing on the striking harsh edges of the logo, but rather on the profile of the giraffe. There have been attempts in the threads to use the standard logo, but they have all been lacking something.

A side note: We really shouldnt be degrading elements of an excellent logo now that we have a final logo decision at this stage. If people continue to strip key elements from rizlars design, the logo will be nothing more than the original vanu logo with a giraffe, and thats far too unoriginal. Graphics should always be well thought out, because even the slightest detail like the texture or crosshatch or even the angle something is placed has an impact on how it is percieved.

At this point the decision has been made, and rather than remove elements which are key to the design, we should be focusing on refining these exact elements that make the logo work. Yes, I understand that some people think that there are elements that should be changed, but there are also a lot of people who praised the worn but smooth look, myself included.

We cant keep going round in circles now that we have a decision. In the meeting the decision was made for rizlar to finalise his last design I believe? Im not attempting to sound pushy, so understand that I say it with the best intentions, but we really need to bring it to a close (as many people have suggested). A lot of people like the current iteration, which is the result of a couple of months of peoples ideas and refinements, so I think maybe call it there and move on.

The next step is to wait for the finished product and then get some decision on colour from his mighty cooperness. The logo looks nice and conveys the right message, and im hesitant to make any changes at this stage to the composition.

Disclaimer: Its 3am, and ive typed this all out in one go. Im going to bed and I cant be arsed to read it back, so I apologise for any powerfully worded comments or repeating myself!
    Again, im expressing opinions, but they are based on a couple of months of watching the different changes, opinions and suggestions as to what is best.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 22-04-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Lots of words back and forth now, which is okay I guess, but I'd really like to see what difference it makes. I could rry it myself, but haven't got a competent drawing app. Does anyone know of a good free program for painting layered vector graphics?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    So in conclusion;

1 - the people who make the game know less about what the vanu actually are than you do.
    2 - even if they did have a clue angles are poison anyway.
    3 - thanks for pages of discussion but let's just do it this way anyway.

Couldn't you have at least said that 5 pages ago so I wouldn't have had to go through this charade?

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Lots of words back and forth now, which is okay I guess, but I'd really like to see what difference it makes. I could rry it myself, but haven't got a competent drawing app. Does anyone know of a good free program for painting layered vector graphics?
    http://inkscape.org/ perhaps?

I'm not sure how quantifiable the amount of people who wants what for this design characteristic really is, which is exactly why I voiced my opinion on it. Personally I had always assumed it was a temporary flaw as the focus lay on the giraffe itself. Perhaps I am not alone in this, especially now that attention was drawn to this element. I thought getting opinions was the idea here, while there was still time, and this particular thing has never been up for discussion until now, so it can hardly be called going in circles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like Jaguar's diamond spots. I don't see the 'original' spots, as posted by Pauly, as that representative of what I would want from a logo. My original intention was to enforce the impression of a painted on/stencilled giraffe in the logo through the scratches and the scraffito/scratched in spots. I need to get on producing another, more polished version of the sketchy design (sorry).

Had a quick go at tidying it up a bit. It's not come out great (I could've picked better colours!) but I think it serves a purpose as a few people have been interested to see a more symmetrical version!

Couple of versions - one with sharp points, the other rounded:

1-Model.jpg

2-Model.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MitchK View Post
    Had a quick go at tidying it up a bit. It's not come out great (I could've picked better colours!) but I think it serves a purpose as a few people have been interested to see a more symmetrical version!

Couple of versions - one with sharp points, the other rounded:

1-Model.jpg

2-Model.jpg
    Actually, this has shown me that its not so much the pointynes as it is how elongated they are.. Something about how long and narrow the vanu portions are is offputting to me.

on a side note, those purples dont go well together using that version mitch. Youd have to use rizlars version with the head inside the green area if you wanted the purples to be that similar.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    So in conclusion;

1 - the people who make the game know less about what the vanu actually are than you do.
    2 - even if they did have a clue angles are poison anyway.
    3 - thanks for pages of discussion but let's just do it this way anyway.

Couldn't you have at least said that 5 pages ago so I wouldn't have had to go through this charade?
    1: Nope, I was saying that I personally dont like the logo, not that they dont know their own game. Thats putting words into my mouth :P. Im sure it was designed that way for their own reasons, and its stuck like that because its the sequel and all, but I just personally dont like the original vanu logo.

2: I also didnt say theres anything wrong with angles, just that I dont personally like it being too sharp when the feel of the image is fairly smooth (again, its just opinion). I dont personally feel that we need it to be exactly as the original, because we have our own message to convey. I think the fact that it resembles the logo, but in a slightly skewed way does represent us as a group.

3: It wasnt me who made the decision to go with what was decided as final. I actually missed that part of the last meeting, so it was entirely the decision of those present to go with the last version by rizlar. While I do agree with this action, my post about it above was purely meant to point out that the decision was made to move ahead with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I'm not sure how quantifiable the amount of people who wants what for this design characteristic really is, which is exactly why I voiced my opinion on it. Personally I had always assumed it was a temporary flaw as the focus lay on the giraffe itself. Perhaps I am not alone in this, especially now that attention was drawn to this element. I thought getting opinions was the idea here, while there was still time, and this particular thing has never been up for discussion until now, so it can hardly be called going in circles.
    Again, it wasnt me that originally said it was going in circles. I would be fine with continuing the discussion, but many people feel that this has been discussed long enough, which is fair enough. I think we have a good logo, and while im sure some people would like certain aspects changed, it is possible that we could change so much that the logo ends up worse, as is so often the case when you over design something. As I said, the decision was made in the meeting, and I wasnt there at that time.

Again, sorry if you felt that im imposing anything on you guys, but this time it wasnt me that made the decision, it was what I was told is happening and im just trying to carry it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    I like Jaguar's diamond spots. I don't see the 'original' spots, as posted by Pauly, as that representative of what I would want from a logo. My original intention was to enforce the impression of a painted on/stencilled giraffe in the logo through the scratches and the scraffito/scratched in spots. I need to get on producing another, more polished version of the sketchy design (sorry).
    I can see what people mean by the spots thing now, though I kind of think an empty neck is a bit silly. I dont think diamonds work particularly well, certainly not when they are so hard edged, but im sure it wont hurt to try some variations out.

I dont see the sketchyness as an issue, because I quite like how the logo has a rough feel to it. As ive said, one of the features I like most is how the vanu logo is slightly offset to the right. I also like how it isnt overlapped by the giraffe head, instread sitting with a gap between. Make sure to keep the little bit poking through the top of the head too, because thats cool .

The pointyness issue is somethin I feel needs some compromise. I think having them end in a sharp point is too opposing to the message we want to convey of a light hearted outfit, though its up to you to experiement and see what looks good. Perhaps not having them so elongated would help, im not sure.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 22-04-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Guys, if we are going to try variations, can we do it with Rizlars version, because this head poking out the top is just confusing the matter.

Here is a link to a TIFF of the image with layers which should enable you to try stuff out:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zke9schfdr66b6f

Its not exactly the same version, but it should be fine to try some stuff out. The crosshatching/spots and such is all layers and masks, so you should be able to easily remove them if you want. I really like the colour scheme below now, its a good purple cyan mix, so good job on that rizlar.

One thing to note:

My point wasnt that it should look blunt as such, just not so razor sharp as the original vanu logo. The thing that bothers me is how elongated the prongs seem. Something about rizlars version is less invasive in some ways. Its hard to put my finger on it.

For example, The pointed ends here really could do with being a little less abrupt:

While this is still a bit too rounded even for my liking:

Please though, can we stop using the giraffe that overlaps the outer ring, because its cutting into the vanu logo, which in turn hides the little diamond shape at the top. It also looks a little silly overlapping both rings, especially if the colour is so similar.

This version isnt as blunt as mitches second example, though its not as pointy as his first:

Some possible middle ground could be reached, but ill leave that up to rizlar. I do think going totally symmetrical and geometrically straight edged detracts from the appeal though.

Again, this is ignoring colours.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 22-04-2013 at 11:39 PM.

It's not come out great (I could've picked better colours!) but I think it serves a purpose as a few people have been interested to see a more symmetrical version!
    Don't take it too seriously pal.

I think I'm going to mess around more with the colours tomorrow, I literally did this quickly in my lunch hour today!

Don't take it too seriously pal.

I think I'm going to mess around more with the colours tomorrow, I literally did this quickly in my lunch hour today!
    Sorry, overlooked that in replying to so many issues. If you can, use the tiff I posted above as a template, because it has the original layout by rizlar with the giraffe in the central two circles only. Colour isnt really an issue though at the moment, because I *think* cooper said we are just going to focus on design and when rizlar has finished up hes going to have a look at several colour options and make a decision. At least, thats what he said hed probably do last time I spoke to him.

I really like this "True Vanu Sovereignty" style logo! I can agree with Pauly's idea that the slightly smaller giraffe head would work better, but that might just be because of the low contrast between the colours in this version. Just looking at the general shapes, this version is currently my favourite so far!

I really like the contrast between the sharp pointy angles of the VS logo and the flowing biological lines of the giraffe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Cooper said to get it done. You now have one week left, so it's very much time to decide everything. I prefer no spots at all personally.
    Find me on the Steams

Cooper said he'd pick one of the variants that seemed to be the most popular, if I recall correctly. I'm sure he'll pick something sensible.

I agree that spots are not really necessary.

If I get a minute today I'll try and knock another one up with the smaller head. I do sort of agree that the vanu spikes are quite sharp. I had a play around with them but couldn't really soften them in any way apart from adding the rounded edges; making the spikes wider to increase the taper at the bottom means that it starts to overlap the giraffe, which didnt look too great in my opinion. I think the bottom spike fits quite snug inside that gap between the snout and neck at the moment.

Yeah, looks good to me, well done Mitch!

Network Hub
    I miss the giraffe spots.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I prefer Rizlars look and think the colors in paulys latest post are fine and would be great. But again, don't like the spots, looks a bit weird.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hey y'all. Finally got round to doing another pass on the logo.

Notable changes: took Jag's spots and rolled with them, cos they are nice. More pointy VS logo bits, cos I think they look better, breaks up the circular composition more. Increased the amount of sketchiness, having done so realised that the scratchy bits on the silhouette no longer looked so good, scratchy bits are now gone.

Colours weren't really my focus here, since Cooper is going to decide from what we've got once he gets back, but it's a slightly different arrangement anyway. Let me know what you think!

Here is a version you can play with. http://www.mediafire.com/view/?9lhndfr8ew866k4