View Poll Results: Which ROUGH SKETCH(ES) of the logo do you prefer. You may select more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo 1

5 8.06%
  • Logo 2

20 32.26%
  • Logo 3

16 25.81%
  • Logo 4

30 48.39%
  • Logo 5

4 6.45%
  • Logo 6

0 0%
  • Logo 7

9 14.52%
  • Logo 8

18 29.03%
  • Logo 9

4 6.45%
  • I, personally, would be willing to submit a logo design to fit a brief.

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Bit ironic that i forgot to do that isnt it haha! Cheers Boris.

No worries, that's what it's there for. Yeah, it's just the Giraffe Cammo texture file from the game. Looks quite nice tiled up like that. I'll let you know if and when i hear back from him!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Thanks so much Rizalr.

I really like the planet background, but I'm not sure how it would scale.

It's definitely worth using that background for things like the website header though.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Going by the thumbnail on the updated twitter account, I'd say it scales pretty damn well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post

A spectre is haunting Auraxis - the spectre of the Giraffes!

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    One thing you have missed out, and thats getting rid of that really REALLY annoying sprig on the bottom prong.
    After having worked alongside the whole project to get it to this point, id at least like to have enough input that this annoying little artefact be removed from the final image...

Why have you kept this in? Its really out of place, and doesnt fit in there. Its the one thing I wanna really stamp my foot down about, because otherwise I love it.
    Fixed:
    small- http://www.mediafire.com/view/?b9tqxsk8zag3a37
    massive-http://www.mediafire.com/view/?14mjcpb6qy2blpk

One minor thing: What about the whole "white diamonds" idea. It looks much better having the diamonds in the white colour.

See the difference? They stand out much more. I tried both on the youtube, and the green ones get lost, where as the white ones are bold.

Also, this is the perfect size png for avatar images to be high quality yet small:

Green spots: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?cmd2azi20bs7sdf

White spots: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?juerc3q4z76710l
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 10-05-2013 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Something came across the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Going by the thumbnail on the updated twitter account, I'd say it scales pretty damn well.
    It scales ok, but at smaller sizes is probably better without the planet.

Nick needs to add a background to the logo, though, so that you can see the white sections.

Ive uploaded the logo with eclectics background colour at a perfect avatar png size, which should save on the compression.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    One minor thing: What about the whole "white diamonds" idea. It looks much better having the diamonds in the white colour.
    I kept the spots green, despite the last few posted with white spots. White ones jump out more, but I think green ones make the logo a lot more interesting.
    The green spots are stronger, I feel, since it makes the VS logo the only white element, emphasising the boldness of the pure white. Extreme tones are very dominant, even in small quantities, so limiting the white makes the logo more interesting and gives the rest of it more room to breathe. The colour scheme being simple, having a second green element also increases the effect of the two colours playing off each other. Stuff jumping out is not always the best idea, there is room for finesse/knowing when to use bold elements. I don't think that there is a problem with the green spots being visible at smaller sizes either.

One thing you have missed out, and thats getting rid of that really REALLY fucking annoying sprig of shit on the bottom prong.
    If you paid more attention you would see that I reduced the 'sprig', mainly at your request, while keeping it in since it seems important in conveying the sketchyness of the logo.

Don't appreciate you trying to hijack the logo design by removing the 'sprig of shit' and posting your new versions in a self-proclaimed 'Official Vanu Outfit Logo Thread' either.

The green spots are stronger, I feel, since it makes the VS logo the only white element, emphasising the boldness of the pure white. Extreme tones are very dominant, even in small quantities, so limiting the white makes the logo more interesting and gives the rest of it more room to breathe. The colour scheme being simple, having a second green element also increases the effect of the two colours playing off each other. Stuff jumping out is not always the best idea, there is room for finesse/knowing when to use bold elements. I don't think that there is a problem with the green spots being visible at smaller sizes either.
    Fair enough, I understand your reasoning for this, though from having tested them both out I can tell you that white diamonds do in fact stand out much more clearly at smaller sizes. I posted both images so that you could clearly see this is the case.

If you paid more attention you would see that I reduced the 'sprig', mainly at your request, while keeping it in since it seems important in conveying the sketchyness of the logo.
    I understand why you originally included it, but it is not at all important in conveying the sketchyness, as there is enough of that in all three of the prongs to show that. The big one at the bottom has quite a lot regardless of this sprig.

The probable reason why I didnt notice any difference, is because it has been reduced so little that there isnt much noticable change. If you want something there, a very slight rough edge maybe, but its still way too pronounced.

Don't appreciate you trying to hijack the logo design by removing the 'sprig of shit' and posting your new versions in a self-proclaimed 'Official Vanu Outfit Logo Thread' either.
    While yes, I did indeed remove them and post in a final thread, this was not at all an attempt to exactly "hijack" the design at all. I have been involved in the design from the off, so regardless of any final minor tweaks, I would have posted that thread to mark the final design anyway. At this point, I feel I have at least a little bit of a say in the final product.

Yes, it was a self proclaimed title, because it is a project that I started and want to be the one to see to the close.

The fact that I removed the sprig was because I felt that it has no place on the final logo. I appreciate that it was there by your design, but there have been a few people aside from myself that have also noticed and commented about not liking this particular element.

I love the sketchyness of the vanu logo, but this element I really do feel quite strongly about. It actively detracts from the logos appeal, and looks totally out of place, adding nothing to the design. The other prongs dont have anywhere near as large a pronounced section on them. If you want to add a little something to it, feel free, but it really should be minor as to not detract from the shape overall. A very slight rough edge maybe, but its still way too pronounced.

Im sorry that you feel im hijacking it, and yes I did consider waiting for more discussion on the matter, but since I have countless times asked about this details removal from the logo, I figured that it was minor enough to not make a difference, and would cause more unnecessary delay. I decided to just go ahead and remove it, and discuss it afterwards, so that we could finalise the thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    BasicPauly,

Whilst I appreciate that you got this started and have pushed it, it's got bigger than the original request about the YouTube page. It's about the identity of the outfit as a whole, something we all share in and all care about. Unilaterally making a decision on it doesn't sit well with the importance of the project.

On a more mundane and dogsbody note, it would have been preferable to have knocked out things like a colour palette, a variety of sizes and to have put it next to the font we've decided upon before claiming it final.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

To balance things out: I don't mind the sprig being there at all, but I do like the white patches on the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    BasicPauly,

Whilst I appreciate that you got this started and have pushed it, it's got bigger than the original request about the YouTube page. It's about the identity of the outfit as a whole, something we all share in and all care about. Unilaterally making a decision on it doesn't sit well with the importance of the project.

On a more mundane and dogsbody note, it would have been preferable to have knocked out things like a colour palette, a variety of sizes and to have put it next to the font we've decided upon before claiming it final.
    First:
    You can call me Paul, or Basic.

Second:
    I appreciate this and in hindsight I jumped the gun a little bit, but the original post wasnt just about the youtube, it was about both youtube and graphics equally, I just didnt name the thread very well.

Third:
    As stated in the other post, It is subject to change when there are other versions. Ill also add the colour palette, font etc to it when they have been decided upon.

Fourth:
    I apologise for any annoyance, but recently I have felt that my input has been slightly ignored, hence why I have had to push some of the issues a little more than necessary. Im clearly not all that used to communicating on forums, purely because I dont really use forums all that often.

These are both issues that, while minor, I feel are important. Having had them be largely ignored is slightly frustrating, thats all.

Additonal note: Rizlar, when we do have this final final, can you please upload and post a link to a tiff version with all of the layers separate still, as with the development versions please?

I apologise for any annoyance, but recently I have felt that my input has been slightly ignored, hence why I have had to push some of the issues a little more than necessary. Im clearly not all that used to communicating on forums, purely because I dont really use forums all that often.

These are both issues that, while minor, I feel are important. Having had them be largely ignored is slightly frustrating, thats all.
    It's not ignored. You're just not alone in the world. Pretty much all the regulars care about the logo. There's about 60 of those, so your input counts as 1/60th. That's not a lot, so it might seem like being ignored. But it's not.

Now imagine how all of us feel for just being notified you have chosen the official logo on your own. Not, "hey guys can we finalize this?" or "I think we're done". It was "we're done, I changed some stuff and this is it". To be honest, I did not like that one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    To balance things out: I don't mind the sprig being there at all, but I do like the white patches on the neck.
    I agree with this! The white spots mainly because it makes it look like the giraffe isn't a cut-out with holes in it. The sprig never bothered me at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    I like the "sprig", it gives character to the logo and emphasizes the sketch feel. I would prefer that it stays.

White spots or green spots - both look good to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I kept the spots green, despite the last few posted with white spots. White ones jump out more, but I think green ones make the logo a lot more interesting.
    What about the whole "white diamonds" idea. It looks much better having the diamonds in the white colour.
    [...]
    See the difference? They stand out much more.
    The green spots are stronger, I feel, since it makes the VS logo the only white element, emphasising the boldness of the pure white. Extreme tones are very dominant, even in small quantities, so limiting the white makes the logo more interesting and gives the rest of it more room to breathe. The colour scheme being simple, having a second green element also increases the effect of the two colours [purple and green] playing off each other. Stuff jumping out is not always the best idea, there is room for finesse/knowing when to use bold elements. I don't think that there is a problem with the green spots being visible at smaller sizes either.
    Fair enough, I understand your reasoning for this, though from having tested them both out I can tell you that white diamonds do in fact stand out much more clearly at smaller sizes. I posted both images so that you could clearly see this is the case.
    There are only so many times I can reiterate the same thing, but my preference for the green spots is pretty well covered in the third quote above. I know that the white ones stand out more, but bolder is not always the better option. I feel the logo is much more balanced and interesting with the green spots. There is more room for other elements to breathe. The diamond spots aren't the most important part of the logo, there is no need for them to dominate the composition.

Re: the sketchy bit Pauly has an aversion to, it seems petty to cling on to it, but it's really important in indicating that the other sketchy bits are there. Without something clearly indicating 'this stuff is deliberate, it's meant to look like a drawing' you risk those aspects going unnoticed, and then it's just perceived as a slightly wonky, lazy drawing of a triangle.

Apologies for banging on about these things, just wanted to make sure the thoughts behind them were clear.

Network Hub
    I find the white diamonds to be too bright and detract from the shape of the neck. The high-contrast rings+spikes do more than enough to draw the eye towards the logo.
    Perfectly happy with the sketch-like approach.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    I find the white diamonds to be too bright and detract from the shape of the neck. The high-contrast rings+spikes do more than enough to draw the eye towards the logo.
    For what it's worth, I agree entirely. The white diamonds puts too much emphasis in an area that doesn't require it.

I'd maybe actually make the diamonds a slightly darker colour (like the darker shade in the swirls in the larger image)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    There are only so many times I can reiterate the same thing, but my preference for the green spots is pretty well covered in the third quote above. I know that the white ones stand out more, but bolder is not always the better option. I feel the logo is much more balanced and interesting with the green spots. There is more room for other elements to breathe. The diamond spots aren't the most important part of the logo, there is no need for them to dominate the composition.

Re: the sketchy bit Pauly has an aversion to, it seems petty to cling on to it, but it's really important in indicating that the other sketchy bits are there. Without something clearly indicating 'this stuff is deliberate, it's meant to look like a drawing' you risk those aspects going unnoticed, and then it's just perceived as a slightly wonky, lazy drawing of a triangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    For what it's worth, I agree entirely. The white diamonds puts too much emphasis in an area that doesn't require it.
    I agree with these three posters, on both topics (green spots are better than white & the sketchy bits look fine). I've grown rather fond of the 'sprig'. And also think that the white spots steal attention away from the VS logo, which stands out much more when it alone has the highest-contrast colour in the composition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Everytime someone mentions that sprig im reminded that it exists at all. How did anyone even realise it was there? I cant even begin to care enough one way or another and am amazed its inspired so much passionate debate. If someone goes to the site for the first time I see neither of the following scenarios occuring ever

"Thats a pretty good logo. If only it had a tiny almost invisible sprig. Id sign up to whatever the fuck an rps giraffe was immediately!"

Or

"Thats a pretty good logo... wait whats THAT?!?!? FUCK THIS SHIT HULK SMASH"

So keep it. Get rid of it. Who cares? I can see why people would argue over the colours or the overall sketchiness or even that asinine argument about the snout that popped up a few times, but this one really isnt worth falling out over.