View Poll Results: Which ROUGH SKETCH(ES) of the logo do you prefer. You may select more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo 1

    5 8.06%
  • Logo 2

    20 32.26%
  • Logo 3

    16 25.81%
  • Logo 4

    30 48.39%
  • Logo 5

    4 6.45%
  • Logo 6

    0 0%
  • Logo 7

    9 14.52%
  • Logo 8

    18 29.03%
  • Logo 9

    4 6.45%
  • I, personally, would be willing to submit a logo design to fit a brief.

    1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 587
  1. #501
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Qw33r View Post
    That would be another valid option - but as we'll do different sized logos anyway, as Rizlar already pointed out, I think it doesnt matter if we leave the sprig as it is.
    Yep. My point was that it would be easier to keep track of one logo layout, rather than multiple. At the end ofthe day, im not willing to have any more disagreements about it, so ill leave it down to Rizlar. I do think that some middle ground would be the best option though, from both a diplomatic and practical point of view.

    Anyway, up to you Rizlar.

  2. #502
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden (Göteborg)
    Posts
    3,315
    If there still is disagreement, we need to figure out what the problem is, and if there is any one side that could budge on their standpoint. If there isn't, a majority vote or something seems like the right thing to do.

    Personally, I've grown rather fond of the little bugger and wouldn't mind keeping, but don't really care much either way.

  3. #503
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    If there still is disagreement, we need to figure out what the problem is, and if there is any one side that could budge on their standpoint. If there isn't, a majority vote or something seems like the right thing to do.

    Personally, I've grown rather fond of the little bugger and wouldn't mind keeping, but don't really care much either way.
    As I said, im waiting on Rizlar to be the one to choose. Mid way compromise would be preferable, but either way is fine.

  4. #504
    Network Hub Qw33r's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Germany, Baden-Württemberg
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    If there still is disagreement, we need to figure out what the problem is, and if there is any one side that could budge on their standpoint. If there isn't, a majority vote or something seems like the right thing to do.
    As its an asthetic problem I think theres no real "Problem", just like and dislike and everything in between. A vote would be the best solution IMO, maybe with the two options "2 different sized versions" and "smaller sprig in every size", because I think the discussion showed there are 2 roughly equal represented opinions. So it would be a vote between two compromises.

  5. #505
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden (Göteborg)
    Posts
    3,315
    Yeah, the "problem" here is the point of disagreement itself, not there being a problem of any technical kind or something.

    Agree Qw33r, that two opinions seem to be prevalent and may be suitable for a vote, unless everyone's happy with having Rizlar decide. This should also be an agreement involving the rest of the outfit though.

  6. #506
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,104
    Removed contents of my posts on the issue.

    I have apologised for any misunderstandings, and have spoken to those involved about it.
    I wont talk about it here anymore, but if there is anybody else with issues they would like to discuss, please do it privately either directly to me, or via Esoteric (if thats ok by him).

    Thanks.
    -Paul

    Here is a picture to promote happiness:

  7. #507
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden (Göteborg)
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    or via Esoteric (if thats ok by him).
    This is OK by me.

  8. #508
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Looks fine without the sprig as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    If there still is disagreement, we need to figure out what the problem is, and if there is any one side that could budge on their standpoint. If there isn't, a majority vote or something seems like the right thing to do.

    Personally, I've grown rather fond of the little bugger and wouldn't mind keeping, but don't really care much either way.
    Maybe we should set up a vote then to get it done?

  9. #509
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,336
    I am chuffed that some people suggest I should decide, but it would be nice to try and get something everyone is happy with. Like Pauly points out, the design has been built from everyone's input, I have just been drawing up the ideas really. Plus if several people still think it looks a bit off, clearly it could be better.

    So here is another version, similar to Pauly's, with a further reduced 'sprig'. This image is roughly the same size as the placeholder logo up at http://rockplanetshotgun.com. I don't think we will generally use the logo at a bigger size than this, so if people don't think it looks too obnoxious at this scale it should be fine. I am happy with how it looks here, as it is still noticeable at this scale.



    Regarding compression issues, I have been noticing that when the logo image is resized by a website the colours get thrown off as well (they appear over-saturated). What would be the best way to make sure the logo is always uploaded to sites at the correct size? Would it be better to just make sure people scale them down accurately when using them? Or are all avatars etc the same size, meaning we can just create a pre-made 'avatar' file at the correct size?

    Re: favicons, random idea - anyone here good at pixel art? Pixellated purple giraffe head in profile, like in the logo, with more or less detail could be cool.

  10. #510
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Re: favicons, random idea - anyone here good at pixel art? Pixellated purple giraffe head in profile, like in the logo, with more or less detail could be cool.
    I've had a stab at it. Pixel art is about the only digital art I'm any good at (strictly analogue in my artistry me). I'll try to have something out tomorrow.

    Re: Compression. Some websites do not compress the image if the image you upload is a) the right dimensions and b) below a certain filesize. I remember hearing this is the case at least for Twitter, maybe YouTube too. If I can find the specs for these sites we should be able to create exactly what we want in a way that is not touched by the website we upload to.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

  11. #511
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Boris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post


    Regarding compression issues, I have been noticing that when the logo image is resized by a website the colours get thrown off as well (they appear over-saturated). What would be the best way to make sure the logo is always uploaded to sites at the correct size? Would it be better to just make sure people scale them down accurately when using them? Or are all avatars etc the same size, meaning we can just create a pre-made 'avatar' file at the correct size?

    Re: favicons, random idea - anyone here good at pixel art? Pixellated purple giraffe head in profile, like in the logo, with more or less detail could be cool.
    The color space conversion + quantization JPEG employs causes this at higher levels of compression. We should never publish the logo in JPEG, but instead make sure it cleanly saves as 256-color pallette PNG preferrably, or just plain old 32-bit RGBA PNG, in addition to the vector files (if those are available).

    There isn't a fixed size for avatars. Some forums like 60x60, some do 100x100, some do something else. You also can not guarantee that the image will be resized to PNG instead of JPG, so I think we would do best to publish a lot of different sizes that are all scaled down from the biggest size we can get. In general, if the target website always seems to do a conversion pass, you should feed it the biggest size image you can.

  12. #512
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,104
    I did actually cover this in the other post I made. Produced an avatar version that should be fine for sites like twitter etc. It was certainly fine for youtube.

    I believe it was 250 by 250 pixels, saved as PNG, which gives an image that is high quality and small enough to upload to sites with a 1mb limit such as youtube. Also scales nicely when you have preview images for featured channels, much like at the bottom of our youtube page.

    I believe this was the one: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?cmd2azi20bs7sdf

    This is the version I produced without, but you get the idea.

    Rizlar, is it possible to keep a version of the large file that still has all of the layers separated? This would be great for any future uses where we want to mix up elements or use colour schemes or add layers.

    On top of this we can have a pre made avatar PNG file, the supersize one, the thumbnail one, the favicon one etc.

    Are the colours final then? We can throw together a palette of colours, including the logo colours as well as others that go with it, such as the background you used above, the background colour from the site, and anything else you think is appropriate.

    Once that is done, can I get peoples approval to finally get my repository post up and running? I have the font, So I can put that on, all I need are the finished files, particularly the TIFF with layers.

    Oh, and the background, whenever that is ready, along with a file of assets from that if possible? It would be cool to have the elements from the youtube background available to use.

  13. #513
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden (Göteborg)
    Posts
    3,315
    I am almost shamefully happy with Rizlar's latest version, so I'd vote a 'go!'.

  14. #514
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,511
    It's awesome. It's ready. Well I am anyway, and I assume it's just the little things to go so I took the liberty of at least putting my own garish, awful version of it on my yoonstube to fit with my channel.



    And as seen on the channel;


  15. #515
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,336
    Yeah, pretty sure the colours were decided on as final. Deliberately didn't include the layers in the last two .tiffs to avoid the temptation to keep trying out different colour schemes, but yeah we should make the layered one available too for anyone interested in making their own version.

    The youtube background was looking pretty close to being usable, just need to move stuff around a bit and insert the logo. Any feedback on the last design posted (which you can find here) is obviously welcome.

    Jag, that version is both hilarious and amazing. I love it.

  16. #516
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,104
    Cool, let me know when its ready and you have all of the files. Im fairly certain we can go with the last one you posted then, though ill wait for Cooper to say so.

  17. #517
    Lesser Hivemind Node sinomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post




    Looks good to me. I think we have a winner!

    If there is a version with the separate layers, what sort of file would that be (i.e. something I could open in GIMP)?

  18. #518
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,511
    That would be the tiff. I think cooper posted one a couple pages back.

  19. #519
    Lesser Hivemind Node NickWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Sussex, UK
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    It's awesome. It's ready. Well I am anyway, and I assume it's just the little things to go so I took the liberty of at least putting my own garish, awful version of it on my yoonstube to fit with my channel.


    Dat yoonstube.


    I like.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

  20. #520
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    I am chuffed that some people suggest I should decide, but it would be nice to try and get something everyone is happy with. Like Pauly points out, the design has been built from everyone's input, I have just been drawing up the ideas really. Plus if several people still think it looks a bit off, clearly it could be better.

    So here is another version, similar to Pauly's, with a further reduced 'sprig'. This image is roughly the same size as the placeholder logo up at http://rockplanetshotgun.com. I don't think we will generally use the logo at a bigger size than this, so if people don't think it looks too obnoxious at this scale it should be fine. I am happy with how it looks here, as it is still noticeable at this scale.



    Regarding compression issues, I have been noticing that when the logo image is resized by a website the colours get thrown off as well (they appear over-saturated). What would be the best way to make sure the logo is always uploaded to sites at the correct size? Would it be better to just make sure people scale them down accurately when using them? Or are all avatars etc the same size, meaning we can just create a pre-made 'avatar' file at the correct size?

    Re: favicons, random idea - anyone here good at pixel art? Pixellated purple giraffe head in profile, like in the logo, with more or less detail could be cool.

    I'm absolutely fine with this being final

    Rizlar: Can you post a link to a version that is not a jpg? Preferably something layered.

    Once I have that I will post it out in various sizes, including ones that match the specs on various websites so as to avoid nasty compression problems with artefacts / colour. As well as a basci 100x 'avatar' version that people can scale as they wish, I'll put out website-specific ones.

    I've done a bit of reading-up and scaling artefacts / compression problems on places like YouTube and Twitter can be avoided by uploading images that meet their specs and so the website doesn't do anything to them (both websites silently scale & compress anything uploaded that is above a certain size & beyond certain dimensions, and is not the right filetype...). If we do the scaling & compression ourselves, it'll look better.

    I will then spend some time on the website header & theme. The website needs a style overhaul now we have the logo, but let's move discussion about that to the website thread.


    Edit:

    Favicon? (click for original size):
    Last edited by Cooper; 13-05-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •