View Poll Results: Which ROUGH SKETCH(ES) of the logo do you prefer. You may select more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo 1

5 8.06%
  • Logo 2

20 32.26%
  • Logo 3

16 25.81%
  • Logo 4

30 48.39%
  • Logo 5

4 6.45%
  • Logo 6

0 0%
  • Logo 7

9 14.52%
  • Logo 8

18 29.03%
  • Logo 9

4 6.45%
  • I, personally, would be willing to submit a logo design to fit a brief.

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Attachment 3001

The contrast to the camo is much better for the green variant, and it looks good too! The yellow background version is more spectacular, but the green one is easier on the eyes, and will probably stay fresh longer.
    Triple post.. record holder..

I really like how this looks actually. I think the purple would need to be thicker line, but it really works!

Also, fresh? I think you mean minty fresh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Could someone make it with purple, green and then sort of blue-ish giraffe? I don't like the white/green/purple combo, looks a bit... sickly. Dunno. Dislike it on standard gals/libs a lot.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I'd prefer a purple giraffe, to match our jargon. Must not be a bright purple, a muted tone should work perfectly well, I think.

I would also like this discussion to be held less in absolute terms ("this works", "that is not good") and more in the subjective terms ("I thinks this works", "I don't like that") that are appropriate for any discussion on preferences. It is a constant irritation, when someone writes something subjective that I don't agree with as if it were fact.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Yeah, giraffe should be purple now that you say it.
    Find me on the Steams

Network Hub
    maybe we could vote/petition in purple version of the giraffe camo?

I like the purple and green version, although I'd prefer the inner background to be purple (we are the purple giraffes after all). Also, how would the green colour look if it was a little more like the light green like that found on the gal etc.? (maybe more muted though). I'm not a big fan of the pencil shading effect on the neck area though. It's pretty and all, but I think it detracts from the outline of the logo and I'd prefer to see something a bit more defined.

I also like the idea of being able to alternate the colours should we see fit, though there should probably be the basic, 'proper', version.

I dont like having a purple giraffe in the middle.. It makes it necessary to have a lighter coloured central colour, which really doesnt work as well given that the giraffe should stand out.

I think it needs to be a light colour, because that works pretty well and gives contrast to the purple/green etc. We could try a different combination, but because of the colour overlap, purple as a central colour wouldnt work if we wanted to have a dark background (i.e. website/youtube).

We can try several variations, but id like to see a finalised "neat" version first, so that we save on overall effort going back over it.

Can we decide on a few things:

-How rough edged should the vanu logo be.. I like how it is at the moment (skewed to the right, slightly ragged edge) but I dont like it having gaps in and bits jutting out (as per rizlars last) because it looks like scribbles. rough edges are fine though!

-Crosshatching.. Are we keeping this? I like the bit around the face, and after having tried it out without the bit around the neck, it looks a bit empty.. so we need something I think, but maybe a tiny bit less like on the face?

-Spots. Do we want these as is, or tidied up a little?

-Head shape. Do we want to get rid of some of the beak, tweak the shape? This is up to rizlar really, and all depend on willingness.

After all of these things are done and we have a "final" logo as such ignoring colours, we should then go back and create multiple colour schemes and continue from there. We dont need to worry about any edges or border for the thing, because that can be changed later depending on application.

So please, can everybody comment on the four points above and give us an idea of what you think about these features?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I would also like this discussion to be held less in absolute terms ("this works", "that is not good") and more in the subjective terms ("I thinks this works", "I don't like that") that are appropriate for any discussion on preferences. It is a constant irritation, when someone writes something subjective that I don't agree with as if it were fact.
    Good point. Although when I have used the phrase 'this or that works' it is supposed to be about how elements work together and are not jarring, rather than about personal preference. I have been studying or practicing illustration for going on five years now, so it seems fairly obvious when something does or does not work, whether or not I happen to like it myself. I now realise this might not promote the best atmosphere though, so will try and make the language I use more open.

On a related note, the most helpful feedback/suggestions are along the lines of 'I really like this element' or 'I really dislike this, for this reason', since they leave room to interpret the changes into a design. Slightly less helpful are more specific suggestions about single elements, since when putting together an image you really need the freedom be creative, making decisions as you go along.

Re: Pauly's questions, I would say yes to cleaning up/tweaking all those elements, although I would like to try and keep the sketchy elements in some form (just address them properly, the original drawing was never supposed to be at all final). Regarding alternative colours, it sounds like a nice idea, but also seems that the strength of a logo is that it is the same everywhere. We will probably just be using it in two or three places to begin with, it would seem to undermine it's purpose to have them looking different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    reply.
    Yes, I see what you mean in terms of not having it look differently, but I have seen many cases where logos have used slight variation and still been successful. A good logo is recognisable regardless of colour. The ITV example is key here. Its almost never the same when you see it on the tv, but they have a base logo which is "official". Similar can be said for many major brands that would use colour in clever ways. While coca cola use their standard red logo for most things, they often use variations for other products and other times.

Regardless, it was just a suggestion.. It would still be nice to get this final version done before we mess with colours. I agree that some messyness really adds to the logo and promotes the gritty feel of war, but it does need to be touched up and finalised so that it loops purposeful instead of scrawled :P!

Once youre done with making changes, post it back in base vanu colours or various colours? and we can move on from there if that sounds good for you?

What I like about the logo:
    - It's a nice, circular shape, but with bits sticking out, which look pleasant to me.
    - The discrete vanu logo is very pretty, and the giraffe poking its head out, ears and horns on top of the circle, looks good.
    - Having a dark outline, a lighter coloured center and VS logo, and a giraffe the same colour of the outline would be my preference, because two colours make it nice and simple, I find.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That all sounds good, will try and get a more finished version done this weekend so we can start wrapping it all up. I too would like to see lots of colour variants, it would be fun, but I do think it would undermine a strong outfit identity, which is what the website and logo are really setting out to accomplish. The key difference, I would expect, with the ITV example is that the ITV logo is seen repeatedly, often, several times every ad break, so it gets drilled into you and the variations are there to keep it fresh. Our logo will not be getting much exposure, it will only be on the main outfit site and any peripheral sites (we cannot even use it in game yet), so keeping them the same would make it much easier to identify the outfit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    - The discrete vanu logo is very pretty, and the giraffe poking its head out, ears and horns on top of the circle, looks good.
    - Having a dark outline, a lighter coloured center and VS logo, and a giraffe the same colour of the outline would be my preference, because two colours make it nice and simple, I find.
    Woops ninja post. Cheers for the feedback!

I like the giraffe sticking out of the circle in Coopers version, looks much more dynamic, but if the background/outline is a similar colour to the giraffe, and the giraffe sticks out into it, then the protruding detail will get lost (don't know if this was what you had in mind, but I was meaning to explain my reason for keeping the giraffe inside the design anyway).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I like using the giraffe to break the silhouette of the logo, which is why I made it like that.

Thing is, I think this doesn't work so well if the background is really busy (e.g. when used as a decal). I'm ok with a four colour logo (with one colour being a tonal change of another for the VS logo)

I say we work with the 'sketchier' version, my output was just so we could easily make a decision (I felt that once you have the 'sharper' version next to the 'sketchier' version it's easier to be sure of the preference most of us had voiced). And I think stick with the two-tone version of the VS logo. It keeps the VS flavour but makes it a less pronounced part of the logo overall.

Anyway, I had a stab at Pauly's version with a 'breakout' giraffe (that remains within the main circle). Four colours, using purple/yellow.

http://imgh.us/Paulysversionofrizlar...giraffe-01.svg
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

still not sold on having a purple giraffe tbh.

Im also not at all sold on the yellow.

Idea:

Variant with a green vanu logo/circle and a yellow giraffe head.
    Variant with a yellow circle and green giraffe head.

Id still rather avoid the yellow entirely, but they are two possible colour variants.

The giraffe head does need to stick out of the logo, so it is important to differentiate colours enough for it to stand out. I currently still like the green colour variant the most.

Activated Node
    giraffe2.jpg giraffe2b.jpg

Late to the discussion here, so not read absolutely 100% of what's been said back and forth, but I thought I'd see if I couldn't contribute something. Really like the design, but this is the one colour alteration I'd make. I'll throw a few more around, maybe.

edit: still learning to forums. now with added filter.
    Last edited by Kemuel; 13-04-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemuel View Post
    I'll throw a few more around, maybe.
    Thanks and please do! The more different colour ideas the better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Lucky we aren't voting on them then! :P

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Variant with a green vanu logo/circle and a yellow giraffe head.
    So this is what I suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemuel View Post
    giraffe2.jpg giraffe2b.jpg

Late to the discussion here, so not read absolutely 100% of what's been said back and forth, but I thought I'd see if I couldn't contribute something. Really like the design, but this is the one colour alteration I'd make. I'll throw a few more around, maybe.

edit: still learning to forums. now with added filter.
    Good job man.. I actually like this idea now I see it, so im glad I suggested it .

It adds the yellow in for people who liked that, and it removes the light colour for people who didnt.. Still keeps the giraffe colour as well as being bright and keeping the green/purple combo!

I like the standard colour one more, and dont particularly like the really dark crosshatch, but I do like how you added the thread effect to the second one like a patch almost.

Could do with having the spots be purple and more obvious so that they arent lost at smaller sizes. Once we have the final image with less of an ardvark beak these colours definitely need to be tried.

This might just be the way to go guys, what do you think?
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 13-04-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Yeah, looks very good. Maybe lighten the green just a little bit, so that it will stand out a bit better on our Giraffe Galaxies once player studio comes online "this year, for sure" (according to Tramell Isaac).

Personally I like the purple/yellow/purple colour scheme too, though. The giraffe does not overlap the outer edge/rim, so there should be no problems going for a two colour solution (with one colour having two nuances to distinguish the VS logo).