Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[VS] The Great Giraffe Census of 2013

Ok, this started as an attempt to list people ingame / forum / mumble name, because it sometimes become confusing.

But then I thought this could also be used to also know if our members are used to do certain tasks. This would be useful to know if there is a particular need for training, and would help beginners to know what they can do to help the outfit. So I came out with the following list of tasks, ordered by difficulty :

Task Task Type Description
    SD Sundy Driver Grunt work Successfully pulled a Sunderer and deployed it elsewhere to allow team mates to respawn
    BM Beacon Monkey Grunt work aka Squad Leader during casual play (Not Platoon leader). Your task is to put a spawn beacon for your squad and follow the platoon to allow your squad mates to squad deploy on you. Nobody expect you to actually lead/give orders. (Thanks Boriz for the name Beacon Monkey)
    GP Gal Pilot Grunt work Successfully picked up team mates in your Galaxy and landed/dropped them in another base.
    RO Radio Operator Tactics Be a RO in the TACGIR system. You are the link between your squad leader and the platoon leader. You report to PL and transmit orders to SL. Need awareness of current squad situation
    CPL Casual Platoon Leader Tactics / Strategy Platoon Leader during casual play. You select the main objective for whoever is online at the moment, you give a few orders at the tactical level, but we don't expect maximum efficiency from the platoon (and others are here to help).
    SL Squad Leader Tactics Squad Leader during TACGIR. You are the only leader of a 12 members team. You give them orders to successfully carry out the objective(s) assigned to you by your PL.
    PL Platoon Leader Strategy Platoon Leader during TACGIR. You must analyze the map and the battle flow to give orders to your 4 squads. You receive reports from RO and adapt to the situation.
    SG Supreme Giraffe Strategy You are the ultimate leader of the Giraffe Army. You give orders to PL to ensure total Giraffe Domination over Auraxis

As you can see I divided them in 3 categories :
    - Grunt work is something anyone can do, regardless of game experience. You may need one specific cert, but anyone can try to perform theses.
    - Tactics are tasks that are related to the current assault/defense. You concern yourself with what is on your minimap and the people around you. You need a bit of experience to understand what is going on and have a decent picture of the current battlefield and its evolution.
    - Strategy are task related to the continent map and the battle flow. You work on the Continent map, to figure out which base is gonna be attacked next, how friendly and hostile forces will move etc. A decent Tactical knowledge is required before being able to move to Strategy tasks.

So now, how to evaluate if people knows theses tasks or not ? I came up with a relatively simple way. 3 ranks :
    Name of the Rank Time task was successfully executed
    g giraffe-ling 1-2
    G Giraffe 3+

This ranking is coarse (obviously some will be better Gal pilot than others) and can be subjective. Your first time as SL will probably not be perfect, but if you did a decent job for 2h, it's still a success, you've learned a lot.
    Still it's easy to understand and apply to all tasks so it can give us an idea on how much training we need in each area.
    Of course, killing 11 team members by crashing your Gal in the warpgate is not a success

So the census ends up like this :

Ingame Name : Ksempac
    Mumble Name : Ksempac
    Forum Name : Ksempac
    SD : G
    BM : G
    GP : G
    RO :
    CPL : g
    SL : g
    PL :
    SG :

So if this looks like a good idea, please fill the following (indicates nothing / g or G for each task) :

Ingame Name :
    Mumble Name :
    Forum Name :
    SD :
    BM :
    GP :
    RO :
    CPL :
    SL :
    PL :
    SG :

If this sounds completely stupid / useless or over-complicated, you may delete this thread and tell me I should get some sleep
    Last edited by Ksempac; 14-05-2013 at 06:31 AM.

The census is now a Google spreadsheet. Edit it to add yourself :
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&usp=sharing
    Last edited by Ksempac; 15-05-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I like the idea and have thought of doing something like this myself before now.

I would suggest, however, that a SurveyMoneky or Google Forms would be easier for data collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I'll jump in on this. Nice idea, lets PLs and SGs have an idea of who can do what, and it's fairly easy to do.

Ingame Name Mumble Name Forum Name SD BM GP RO CPL SL PL SG
    ArtekusBardane PhatChance52 PhatChance52 G G G g

For variable values of 'successful' of course
    Last edited by PhatChance52; 13-05-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Ingame Name
    Mumble Name Forum Name SD BM GP RO CPL SL PL SG
    pakoito pakoito pakoito

Grunt grunt I had a sundy once but I didn't have the certs to use it as mobile deploy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I like the idea and have thought of doing something like this myself before now.

I would suggest, however, that a SurveyMoneky or Google Forms would be easier for data collection.
    Well I'm glad you like the idea.

If you wanna create a Google Forms or whatever for collecting the data, go ahead. You can use my ranking system or tweak it.

For now, I don't mind editing my grid and I don't expect a rush of answers anyways.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Sundy Driver puts me in mind of pillocks doing 12mph on their way to wander around B&Q like a zombie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Oh, god, you're actually overcomplexing everything there is :/.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Activated Node
    Interesting idea, although with the amount of people who don't check the forums I'm not sure how good coverage you'll get. In any case, my results (assuming by successful you mean 'didn't screw it up' rather than 'did really well')...
    Ingame Name
    LordKiwi LordKiwi LordKiwi G G G G g g

Ingame Name
    Boriz boris Boris G G G G G g

Huh. Never been RO or SL during Tac.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi
    (assuming by successful you mean 'didn't screw it up' rather than 'did really well')...
    That's exactly what I mean. As I said, I don't expect your first SL/PL role to be great, but if you manage to squad lead for 2h, you probably didn't screw up too much, you learned something, and you will be better next time.

That's why I put the G rank at 3 success : First time you don't screw it up, 2nd time you do OK(ish), 3d time you had enough experience to be qualified for the role. Not saying it's a perfect metric or that everyone will progress at the same rate, but I thought it would be an objective that can be achieved for most roles.

Of course, if you're SL and 30 min in all your squad leaves or ask for a new SL, that's definitely not a success. Also, since everyone is judging himself/herself, if you think you really f***** up your first time, you're free to not rate it as a success.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi
    although with the amount of people who don't check the forums I'm not sure how good coverage you'll get
    Yeah I know about this, that's why I said I didn't expect a rush of answers. Even if there is a chance that people not involved in the forum are less involved in tasks, it still gives you an idea where we're at and if we have blind spots (for example, not enough Gal pilots).

Also, it's useful for beginners that want to try things out, they have a description of outfit tasks. For example, Beacon Monkey. If you ask for a Squad Leader during Casual play, people freaks out. If you tell them you just want them to put down a beacon, you get a lot more volunteers. Same for Sunderers. I'm sure we can encourage people to pull them more frequently if we show them that's it's 1- good for the outfit 2- very easy to do.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 13-05-2013 at 09:26 PM.

QuantaCat, and Ive got all Gs except for RO and just a g for SG because Ive lead more than one platoon in stratgir.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Ingame Name
    ReiOnryou Rei Onryou Rei Onryou G G G g G G G

Let's see how well this exercise turns out...

Ingame Name
    Qw33r Qw33r Qw33r G G g g
    Unfortunatly I've no TacGir SL experience - would like to do some TacGir more often (like today evening could have been as we opened the 2nd Platoon). And I liked beeing RO in last C2A, would like to do again

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Ingame Name
    EsotericReverie EsotericReverie EsotericReverie G G G G G G G g
    Edit: I was really impressed and at the same time a little sad to see 56 people in the Mumble channel ( we have grown again!) and still no TACGIR play. My personal pain threshold is about 25-30 people, but like Ridebird, I prefer not to have to be the one to ask for squad play all the time. I've heard a couple of others speak up too, for which I'm grateful, but there are always more people willing to join than there are people willing to take he initiative.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 13-05-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    It was brought up earlier in the evening but there wasn't a great desire for it. We did end up breaking up into two platoons of mumble chat though. I think as the new people become seasoned people they'll be happier trying TACGIR.

While I'm here, my ingame name is jaguarskills and I'm an SD/BM/GP. GP is only very occasional when everyone else can't pull one, mind.

Alrighty then, here I am in all my glory:

Ingame Name
    AlfieV AlfieV AlfieV G g G G

Quite willing to try the step up to SL next. Might need to save up a few more certs to get the beacon cooldown sorted.

Also, is leader chat worthwhile for SLs, or just PLs?

Sinomatic Sinomatic Sinomatic G G g

Whilst I seem to have suddenly become a bossy beacon monkey (sorry squadlings!), I've not done much beyond that. I'm planning on getting into Gal flying a bit more, and perhaps trying out RO (maybe), but I don't have the strategic thing that I think you need for going beyond that. I'm fine on the ground for sending a squad around where they might need to be in the immediate area, but the grander movements and subtleties playing out on the map is just something I'm not really into. I'm more a grunt than a general

higgyC higgyC higgyC G

"It's my first day!"

Will happily learn how to do the rest of this, but think I should understand which end of the gun points at which brightly-coloured dudes before that. Will pop on for the comms and flying workshoops this week!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So... don't really think this is the best way to go about it. There must be simple ways to make a quick online form that automatically compiles the data. Seems like a better way of doing it, since it's less work for whoever has to collate everything and it avoids the need for a huge, bloated thread here. You could even put a link to the web form/survey (or whatever you call it) at the end of the SL/PL guides and continue to get data about the people interested in such positions.

But I'm not a web developer so I'ma just fill this out here anyway... /hides

Rizlar Rizlar Rizlar G G G G