Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

A Call to Arms Thursday 9 May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rossignol
    Could be time for another RPS Planetside 2 Call To Arms on Thursday. Anyone up for that?
    https://twitter.com/jimrossignol/sta...84944308846594

Yes, yes indeed, it is!

What is A Call to Arms?
    A Call to Arms is an event where people are invited to come join us in shooting some lasers in the excellent free-to-play game Planetside 2. Last time saw more than 220 outfit members online at its peak, which was quite a surprise for everyone involved!

What do I need
    You need two things; the Planetside 2 client (a roughly 8GB install), and Mumble (very small). Both are free, download and install in time before the event, and run the Planetside 2 launcher, so that it gets to download any patches.

More info on the event and how to join below.

How to take part
    Check this thread for information on Planetside 2, how to get it and where to create your character. Note that Rock, Planet, Shotgun plays as VANU SOVEREIGNTY on the MILLER server, but our frenemies of the New Conglomerate also accept visitors, I'm sure.

We use Mumble for voice comms, listening in is mandatory since all orders are given this way, but talking is not required. Nobody needs to speak who feels uncomfortable doing so, or simply hasn't got a mic. This thread has the details for our Mumble server. (Note that screenshots may not perfectly match the current Mumble setup.)

When connecting to Mumble, you will be joining a special "welcome" channel for sorting out outfit invites and getting you going in the game. Once you are ready to go, we will assign you to a squad and you will join that squad's "Grunts" channel in Mumble (screenshots coming soon).

More information on joining the last Call to Arms is on our outfit website.

Welcome this Thursday at 1830 UTC!
    What is UTC?

The rest is for setting up our organisation:

(Here are some guides for how to be a good Supreme Giraffe (commander), Platoon Leader, Squad Leader, Radio Officer (handles communications between squad and platoon leaders) and grunt)

List of people who have volunteered for some kind of leadership role or similar:

Welcome platoon staff- say welcome, introduce to game, sort squads and Mumble channels
    Sinomatic (lead), CmdrZod

HQ
    - overall strategy and liasing with other outfits
    SG

CMaster and EsotericReverie, splitting the evening in half

Liaison
    Cooper

Scouts and staff
    NickTheNegligent and xXAtheuXx

PLs - lead a group of four squads to large-scale objectives
    B3ll3nd
    Dewisant
    Jaci
    Jacquar
    LordKiwi
    ReiOnryu
    GinSoakedBoy ?
    Boriz (if he can make it and is needed)

SL-RO pairs (pairing ^vets with newer players here)
    Ksempac (SL) - ^Orius (RO)
    ^LordKiwi (SL) - AlfieV (RO)
    ^QuantaCat (SL) - ^pepper/^MadMoxxi (RO) Natural Selection crew of 2 squads in 1 channel
    Rizlar (SL) - ^Qazz (RO)
    ^LaKroy (SL) -
    Duckfang (RO)
    Jcloth (SL)
    DarkWeebler (RO)
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 09-05-2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Updated the list with new names from the Google Form.

YES ! I was actually thinking I would like to participate in a Call to Arms (I installed the game for the previous one, but was unable to participate due to real life stuff). I'm guessing we play them in a relaxed way but still use TACGIR setup to avoid messy communications ?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    oh god. let's please get everything set up well beforehand--especially comms. planning for 3 platoons should be adequate, i guess. might be less this time, but who knows.

It has tended to be like a regular Thursday, only with four to five times as many people, at least half of them new to the game. We've handled it by having a lobby channel, where people join to be greeted, get outfit invites and get going with things. They are handed off to a squad that has room in it, and are instructed which Mumble channel to join, so that they can start playing with their new squad.

CMaster did an excellent job leading us all last time, but he got stuck with a bit too much administrative duty after we realised that eight squads was entirely too few for the 220 people that finally showed up. We should be in a much ebtter position this time around. I only need to make sure that there are enough squad channels for everyone (we have three platoons' worth of squad channels now, think we'll need another two platoons).

I take it you'll be looking for 20+ volunteers for SL & RO across 5 platoons then? Probably worth trying to sort some of them out in advance... Would a Call to Arms night be a bad time to try it for the first time?

I wasn't planning on being SL in serious business mode next Thursday, but I definitely wants to be a SL for this Call to Arms !

Let me be the first volunteer for SL Call to Arms duty !
    Last edited by Ksempac; 05-05-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Activated Node
    If we're volunteering now then I'll be an Sl or PL.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll be happy to do PL or SG

Network Hub
    Looks like it's time for me to try my hand at SL or RO. I'll try and get in a bit of practice Monday or Tuesday evening before the big event.

Yeah, that's right, we'd need 20 people to SL and another 20 to RO, and 5 people to PL. If we get as many people as last time, that is. I really don't think we will, but you never know. Better plan for the worst. At least with those things that take time to set up, meaning Mumble channels mostly.

Edit: I'd also be happy to do any sort of leadership position. Perhaps it would be best if I was not SG, just in case there's any trouble with the Mumble setup. I'll make sure there are squads up to Papa at least (16).

CMaster, you did such a great job last time, I'd be happy for you to do it again. We should just make sure that you are not actually required to do any of the management as well, and make sure that you've got one or two good liaisons with you for coordinating with TVA and other outfits.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 05-05-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkweeble View Post
    Looks like it's time for me to try my hand at SL or RO. I'll try and get in a bit of practice Monday or Tuesday evening before the big event.
    I was thinking pretty much the same thing, since I do have a working mic these days.

What's best for a rookie to try, SL or RO?

Network Hub
    I think RO tends to be a bit easier as you're basically just a mouthpiece both ways. With SL you need to think, talk, and shoot.

Perhaps for the next few nights we should try to have a TACGIR setup running all the time for SL/RO practice desired and to get all the comms binds in place for those who'll need it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    That's a good idea, Sinomatic. I've noticed lately that apart from the last Strategic Thursday, we haven't done much splitting into comms. Getting back into that practice would surely be positive.