View Poll Results: Which ROUGH SKETCH(ES) of the logo do you prefer. You may select more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo 1

5 8.06%
  • Logo 2

20 32.26%
  • Logo 3

16 25.81%
  • Logo 4

30 48.39%
  • Logo 5

4 6.45%
  • Logo 6

0 0%
  • Logo 7

9 14.52%
  • Logo 8

18 29.03%
  • Logo 9

4 6.45%
  • I, personally, would be willing to submit a logo design to fit a brief.

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    I prefer BasicPauly's no. 1 version because having the teal as the logo a) makes it stand out more ('tis more pew-pew laser disco) and b) seems more in-keeping with the highlighting of the VS weapons and vehicles.

Obviously I'm not sure how the texture thing would work on a larger version, since I've only seen it on the other one.
    Im more worried about how the planet texture would look on much smaller versions. Medium to large seem pretty good, but I can imagine the texture could be lost at smaller avatar and thumbnail images. For instance, imagine the logo at the size of the standard web browser icon picture..

In fact;

Rizlar: It may be an idea to think about how we would tackle things like ico files separately.. Maybe picking base elements from the logo, or some small section. RPS do it by just taking the R, for example. Any ideas?

When the final decision on logo has been made, the thread would be useful staying open until things like different versions/sizes and other uses are finalised.

Logo as avatar:

I uploaded the current version by rizlar onto the youtube page to test how it would work. There seem to be a few issues with the logo as used for a small avatar image:

-The planet texture gets lost, and just appears like a blur. Cyan is definitely too bright.

-It appears that youtube, and probably other sides, compress the image further, losing quality.

-the diamonds are very small and not a prominent feature.

-The contrast between the prongs and having a white background isnt high enough. Might need to have the full purple background for avatar images, as per the original plan.

-The spikes mean that the logo is offset towards the top when made as large as possible. This means that we would be forced to make the image even smaller for use in a square avatar box and thus obscuring the image even further.

-Might be a good idea to have a version for times like this without the prongs, unless another solution can be found to keep it clean.

Image:
    rizlar_logo_test.jpg
    On my screen, the avatar appears even smaller than this. I did the second one zoomed into the logo, but its still pretty obscure.

Decided to try some others, one of which stood out as actually being decent contrast. Funnily enough, it was rizlars original textured "seahorse" giraffe... Maybe using these colours would be a good idea based on this?

othertest.jpg

Like this, though for some reason there was an even bigger hit to quality here:
    test3.jpg
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 05-05-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post

My next point would be that, as cooper said, it would be good to get even more colours and combinations in the mix. While its great to see people agreeing and/or generally liking these two combinations equally, we already know these two are popular. If people could suggest, or preferably post pictures of, what they think might look cool, that would be much more helpful than agreeing at this stage .
    I think the "problem" is that we're the VS purple giraffes - purple is pretty much a given (at least somewhere in the logo), and you can't stray too far into colours that could look like rival factions. I'm not saying it would be impossible to not have something very different or something without purple, but I'd imagine that most people will probably want to stick with a colour scheme somewhat representative of what and who we are, which is somewhat limiting (not necessarily a bad thing, but a limitation nonetheless).

Im more worried about how the planet texture would look on much smaller versions. Medium to large seem pretty good, but I can imagine the texture could be lost at smaller avatar and thumbnail images. For instance, imagine the logo at the size of the standard web browser icon picture.
    Unless I'm mistaken, I thought I'd read that the texture was only intended for the larger versions (e.g. the website logo) and it wouldn't necessarily be included on the smaller versions for exactly your reasoning? (And if I'm wrong and that hadn't been said already, then I'm suggesting it ).

I think the "problem" is that we're the VS purple giraffes - purple is pretty much a given (at least somewhere in the logo), and you can't stray too far into colours that could look like rival factions. I'm not saying it would be impossible to not have something very different or something without purple, but I'd imagine that most people will probably want to stick with a colour scheme somewhat representative of what and who we are, which is somewhat limiting (not necessarily a bad thing, but a limitation nonetheless).
    I agree, but it would still be interesting. Plus, cooper was interested to see the potential.

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought I'd read that the texture was only intended for the larger versions (e.g. the website logo) and it wouldn't necessarily be included on the smaller versions for exactly your reasoning? (And if I'm wrong and that hadn't been said already, then I'm suggesting it ).
    Yeah, thats true, though there are still issues with the logo even for smaller versions, such as contrast when viewed as a small image.. Check out the post after the one you replied to, because I just added some issues that we need to think about..

The worrying thing for me is that the bright colours get lost at smaller sizes, especially the cyan and greens on white. I posted up the original number 4 from the initial vote, and the contrast on that is MUCH nicer.. I still love those colours. Probably my favourite composition. Tried a version without the white, because that improves contrast a lot too:

giraffe3test.jpg Easily my favourite so far, though tweaks are an option.

We need to aim for something similar to this in terms of contrast, simply for the sake of smaller avatar like images. While I like the roundel style that we have moved towards, it needs to have a dark background to look good at smaller sizes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RockPlanetShotgun
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 05-05-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Unless I'm mistaken, I thought I'd read that the texture was only intended for the larger versions (e.g. the website logo) and it wouldn't necessarily be included on the smaller versions for exactly your reasoning?
    Yeah, you are right. Cooper suggested making a few different logo files for use in different places (so one for avatars, one for banners etc.), which seems like a good way to do it. Most of the things you are suggesting, Pauly, can be addressed in this way (eg. only using texture on large versions, centring for avatars). Making a favicon using some specific detail is a good idea.

Seeing how colours work at various scales is important though. Although there is a bit of extra compression from the screen captures, the images you link illustrate nicely why I prefer strong tonal contrasts - the dark giraffes with light spots/backgrounds can be made out clearly at the smaller scale, whereas when light meets light it doesn't immediately jump out.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 05-05-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Network Hub
    How would everyone feel about buying a mug/shirt/trinket with our logo on it from a Zazzle or CafePress store, with the profit going to fund the Mumble server and the website hosting? Something like http://www.zazzle.com/vanu+gifts has right now. It could be a nice way of giving a donation. I'm not sure how we'd move the money around yet but I can't see anyone who would bother stealing $3 per sale. Just throwing the idea out there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I did say earlier that the extra detail on the circle would only work on larger versions of the logo.

Once we have decided on a final version at a large size (500x500 I would have thought) we can then use that to create smaller (250x , 100x, 50x, 16x favicon and whatever ones inbetween are needed for specific websites such as YouTube & Twitter) versions.

I'd agree the background shouldn't be white outside of places where it makes sense for it to be white. We can either use whatever colour we use for the interior of the VS logo circle as the background so as to maintain that exterior circle or just use the colour of the exterior circle.

I'm with Rizalr on the need for contrasts. I tried to get this across earlier when I was talking about 'popping' or 'striking' colours. basically, what I meant is that it should be clear what the logo is: A giraffe. It should be clear at small sizes and when on the side of a Galazy flying by that it is a giraffe.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

All of the above are essentially backing up what im trying to say here. We need to essentially have two light colours for the "green" area, and dark colours for the giraffe and background... Thats essentially the combo we should stick with. The light colours themselves need to contrast enough so that you can make out the variation.

The issues I brought up are just some more observations, and I posted them so we know what we have to address when thinking about different sizes. Compression is one of the more important issues, because like I said the sites further compress images, which makes the logo blurry and therefore stand out less.

We want it to be bold, and work well as a logo. For most cases, the logo will be used in a smallish size area, so we need to really think about how we can have it small, yet large enough to see the key features.. Accentuating the diamonds, or not having them at all, may be a good idea after all.

Im really not sure how we can solve the off center issue with the prongs. It looks a bit goofy having the circle offset to the top, but removing them changes the logo. We may end up needing to go with the new youtube layout, which will solve it for this at least. The problem with this is that the new youtube layout doesnt use the standard backgrounds, so our background design would be useless.

The point of my bringing up these issues, was so that we can fairly quickly think of solutions to these issues. We need to start thinking about various alterations andversions that we can use fairly soon, so that it doesnt drag on further still.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    We need to start thinking about various alterations andversions that we can use fairly soon, so that it doesnt drag on further still.
    I think by mentioning a lot of that stuff you are blowing it out of proportion. Alignment of the logo as an avatar means we need to use a certain youtube layout? Is this something we need to discuss now? Worry that this discussion just buried the final call for colour entries...

Will try and quickly produce some more colour variants before Cooper looks over them all (though since he mentioned today as the deadline it might be too late already).

In the abscence of much in the way of suggested alternative, let's just push forward with Rizlar's latest design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post

I'd like to see something with a slightly redder purple, but that's purely because that's the kind of purple I personally like.

Rizlar: can you post a tiff or something of this so we can start finalising it.

Once that's up I'll knock out a colour palette for reference and place it alongside the chosen font to work out what colours we use for that on the website header.

I can then throw out a series of files at various sizes. Let's start with a 250x250 (ish) reference and work from that.

In terms of a smallish 100x100 or so avatar for places like Twitter and YouTube, it often works best to find out what size precisely they use and upload exactly that size. I know that's the case with tiwtter at least, not sure about YouTube. No offsite resizing usually means little to no compression problems that we've been seeing. A 100x will be fine for resizing to 90x, 85x or whatever we need.

I quite like that the VS logo is off centre and don't see a major problem with that for 'avatar' locations. As long as the centre of the circle is centered to the square image it should be fine. I think the problem we have it that the current isn't centered to the circle (?).

I'm happy to do the resizing and formatting for various locations, but will need something other than a jpg original.

If you upload a tiff or something like that I'll just push ahead and get the sizes out and ready to go, if you don't mind Rizlar, unless there's something you'd like to work on first (or do this yourself).

Thanks, as always, for the excellent work Rizlar.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Cheers Cooper. I want to adjust the silhouette a bit and the current planet texture isn't very well implemented, so I will get on fixing that and trying the colour change you requested. Will post the final .tiff in the next couple of days.

Indeed, if you upload an image at exactly the right size there should be no compression. The off-centre thing may or may not be due to the fact that the logo prongs are deliberately slightly wonky. Nonetheless, positioning it / getting it to look good as an avatar shouldn't be a problem.

Bit late, but here are the last-minute colour variations wot I done.

The white VS logo. I love it.

If it was ever on a white background, it might look a bit off, but I really like that white VS logo with the purple background. the whole thing stands out much more clearly than the purple / cyan / green setup.

I can't think of anywhere the logo would appear where it would be on top of a plain white background, so I think I might just say go with that scheme.

(The yellow fights with the purple too much I think. I quite like the pink VS logo though. Maybe with a white or cyan centre?)
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think it was mentioned that the decal would be 256x256, so that might be a better start than 250x250?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Yeah, game textures generally come in sizes of even powers of two, so 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I think that the white looks really strong as well. Also gives us a bit more leeway getting the planet texture looking good, since the white provides a strong contrast.

Re: sizes, can try it out at 256x256 (think it would be pretty close to the last ones I put up). The master file will have a much higher resolution tho, just in case we want to print them on t-shirts or something (I like Darkweeble's mumble fund idea), plus it's easy to scale down and keep detail, not so easy to scale up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I would totally buy a t-shirt. Just saying.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I would totally buy a t-shirt. Just saying.
    Yea I'm hoping you're not the only one. I would be all over a giraffe mug.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I would quite happily invest in some RPS Giraffe merch if the profit was going to good causes - i.e. Child's Play or keeping the Mumble server up.

Liking the white version of the logo. Glad to hear we've got nice high res versions as well - are we going to move the design into a vector based programme once we've nailed it down as final, or are we keeping the sketchy feel?

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    I think it was mentioned that the decal would be 256x256, so that might be a better start than 250x250?
    Yeah, I think I said 256x in an earlier post with that in mind and forgot, and knew it was something about that. That sort of size would do fine for the website header too.

A much higher resolution reference is very welcomed though.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    The off-centre thing may or may not be due to the fact that the logo prongs are deliberately slightly wonky. Nonetheless, positioning it / getting it to look good as an avatar shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

I quite like that the VS logo is off centre and don't see a major problem with that for 'avatar' locations. As long as the centre of the circle is centered to the square image it should be fine. I think the problem we have it that the current isn't centered to the circle (?).
    You both have the wrong idea. I dont mean the offset vs logo, I like that a lot myself.

What I mean is the fact that the whole logo is offset to the top. If you look in the above images, the gap between the top of the outer circle and edge is half of the gap between bottom of the circle and edge.. It just looks a bit off when you have it at avatar sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    The white VS logo. I love it.
    I agree with the white, though I think the spots could be white too. The green could also be a little darker. Might make sense for the background purple to be the deep purple. I like the one I used in my last example.

I thought id throw a little "remove the sprig" in here too .

Finally, two more variants of the white one:

giraffe3f.jpg-Green outer circle stands out quite a bit more. White spots, and deeper purple. White spots stand out more, even at these avatar sizes.

giraffe3g.jpg- Cooper, is this what you meant by a "redder" purple? The background doesnt work so well, but that could be changed.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 06-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.

The white variant is "okay", though it's got a bit of an 80s-90s/colours-of-a-shell-suit vibe about it

Whatever you decide: not the pink one.