View Poll Results: Which ROUGH SKETCH(ES) of the logo do you prefer. You may select more than one.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logo 1

5 8.06%
  • Logo 2

20 32.26%
  • Logo 3

16 25.81%
  • Logo 4

30 48.39%
  • Logo 5

4 6.45%
  • Logo 6

0 0%
  • Logo 7

9 14.52%
  • Logo 8

18 29.03%
  • Logo 9

4 6.45%
  • I, personally, would be willing to submit a logo design to fit a brief.

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    giraffe5.jpggiraffe5a.jpg giraffe5b.jpg

Two more ones with less garish colours. P.similar but I can take the saturation in that second one much higher if need be. imgur is going a bit slow but I'll get them put up when I can.

Added one with filters, because I like the canvas. :3

Incidentally I like these best of all I think.

http://imgur.com/a/CmVhK#8 <-imgur album link reminder btw.
    Last edited by Kemuel; 14-04-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    We wear giraffe camo. Or faction is purple and teal. A muted logo would just be weird.

Shall I start a new thread with a vote then? For these:

Can of course add some of Kemuels up top as well.
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 14-04-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Theres really no need for a vote, definitely not yet. We had this vote to get a feel for what people liked, not necessarily to decide anything final.

We kind of have all we need opinion wise to decide on whats best.

The best course of action would be to have Rizlar finish it up to a standard he is happy with, and THEN he can post a variety of colours. Once we have the finalised version and a large variety of colour variations we will be able to get a broader idea of what people like. There are so many combinations, and none that we have ALL agreed on so far. The closest has been number 3 on my list, which is kemels first and arguably best contribution in terms of colours.

Once we have a larger variety on colour, I think it would be best for me, rizlar, cooper and maybe a couple other guys (anybody keen on/has done graphics related work in the past?) could choose the best variants for each colour combination (since we have several of the same combination with different tone) and then post up our top 5 for you guys to vote on a final version.

Im not sure I want this to go down to a vote as such, because it would only represent the views of the really frequent people, but if we can guaruntee that most of our members have a say in it, then maybe we could get a vote going on those final five when finalised.

This seems sensible, rather than rushing to a decision now. There is really no rush, and there are plenty of other combinations we can try, as well as other colours/shades.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 16-04-2013 at 02:17 AM.

(Pastel) Purple/green/sandy giraffe

(Pastel) Purple/green/white giraffe

(Pastel) Green/purple/sandy giraffe (Quite like this variant too actually)

These three are the front runners in my opinion colour combination wise. Im not talking about the exact shades of each colour, but the composition of colours. (ive given them a colour order so that they are easy to refer to)

We can try slightly different greens purples and whites, but id rather they didnt go quite so bright as the previous examples. I can see why they would need to be a little bit brighter though, so variants on each of these three would be great.

For reference I would refer to this example as:
    (bright) purple/green/bananna giraffe
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 14-04-2013 at 11:18 PM.

The washed out dull look doesn't really do it for me, honestly. As Ride says, we're already purposefully obnoxious and in your face with our style, so why should the logo be any different? If anything, I thought it was cool how the giraffe had more or less the same colour as the giraffe camo itself.

Network Hub
    I vote Banana Giraffe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I don't know, this discussion has already been going on for two months or more. I'd like to see an end to it. And about forum frequenters being the only ones having a say, why not? We're the ones driving the evolution of the outfit, were the ones organising things like training sessions, calls to arms, we pages and outfit guides. Why shouldn't we get to decide?

In the end, we're an outfit for the RPS community and this is where that community is anchored. You want a say in where the outfit is going, you come here and make your voice heard. Simple. Mention that there is going to be a decision made on outfit logo on the forums at the next outfit meeting, and that those who want to take part go there. That should be enough. If people don't want to involve themselves after that, that's their choice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Pauly its taken like 3 months. And we know what you think - you want the muted color. And no we are not going to settle a logo question where people debate with color theory. Yea we know you've done graphics and hate the yellow. Everyone else seems pretty much in agreement though
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    BasicPauly, what is the purpose of this logo? Is it supposed to be a product of this community, or is it supposed to be reserved for a subset of the community for use in their graphical projects? Why involve the community if you would rather leave it to a council of supreme taste? Who decides who is going to decide? The premises here are unclear, and I must say that I find a slightly authoritarian hint in some of your posts, which bugs me a bit.

It sounds like a good idea to produce a large number of colour examples, more than what we have seen here so far. There could be colour combinations yet unseen, which are more appealing to a majority.

Personally, I'm on the fence whether to go fully garish rave or go moderate and stylistically pure. I just want to express my support for the Banana Giraffe's right to exist.

BananaGiraffe by SJROBZY
    Last edited by LaKroy; 15-04-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added BananaGiraffe creator name.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Managed to completely miss this splurge of activity over the weekend! (also sadly didn't have time to work more on the logo)

The one that people seem to be favouring now does look best on the Gal, the yellow-purple-yellow stands out really well. Whatever colours we decide on, I do think it would be better to have them more sophisticated for the website (more like Kemuel's second round of more muted colours). We could decide on a colour scheme, have an awesome, sophisticated logo for the site/general use and then bump up the garishness for the in-game version to help it stand out.

I don't feel that a vote would be helpful now, see Eclectic's link and my response a few pages back. We should come to a general consensus, and people can put forward the case for their preferred designs, but using voting seems too blunt an instrument and unnecessary.

Couple more things - Cooper's one request was that the giraffe is purple, is this still important? Also I disagree about the colour decision taking a back seat, it is the most important thing to decide on at the moment and could communicate a lot about our outfit's identity. I will try to get the logo's rendering in a finished state so we can begin to wrap this up, but at the moment colour does seem to be the primary thing to solve.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Why involve the community if you would rather leave it to a council of supreme taste? Who decides who is going to decide? The premises here are unclear, and I must say that I find a slightly authoritarian hint in some of your posts, which bugs me a bit.

It sounds like a good idea to produce a large number of colour examples, more than what we have seen here so far. There could be colour combinations yet unseen, which are more appealing to a majority.
    Agreed about everything. Also, Bananagiraffe (the half giraffe, half banana) is now my preferred option for the logo.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 15-04-2013 at 12:45 PM.

I'm a bit split between the purple giraffe on banana with a purple outline, and the bananaraffe on purple with the greenish outline, personally. The bananaraffe looks like a giraffe, the purple giraffe is a purple giraffe, man! Either way would be fine with me, and I also agree that the in-game decal could be , maybe even should be, different from the website logo. Make sure it stands out and looks good on giraffe camo.

Either way, I'd like this discussion to reach a conclusion fairly soon. I'm getting a little tired of the time it takes to decide on something. This goes for any kind of decision-making process in this outfit, by the way. I guess it's only natural given that the primary interaction we have with each other is the forum, and there' always going to be dreadful lag here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    the in-game decal could be , maybe even should be, different from the website logo. Make sure it stands out and looks good on giraffe camo.
    Note that I only mean different in terms of the intensity of the colours. I do think the logo should be recognisably the same everywhere it is used. I get what you are saying about fatigue with the decision-making process. What we really needed from the start was an art director who could lay out the brief, collect ideas, direct the decision making and assign the jobs needed to create the finished logo (in that order). Ah well, we are close now and I am confident that we will make a great logo anyway.

Yeah, one can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Another vote for banana giraffe here. I love it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Banana Giraffe FTW!

::cough::

It has a certain naivete, and references such iconic pop art works as those of Roy Lichtenstein and of course the similarly themed one of Andy Warhol. Also the simplicity of the form and the absurdity of the giraffe emerging from a banana best convey the stark contradiction between the grim realities of an absurd, If I may repeat for emphasis, unending war and our whimsical approach to it.

::cough::

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Note that I only mean different in terms of the intensity of the colours. I do think the logo should be recognisably the same everywhere it is used.
    I could throw one together in more RPS colours- something black/silver/white maybe. With glowing red eyes..

Seen lots of talk of this not being the final version, but can't help but wonder why not? Nose/mouth looks perfectly fine to me. Giraffe looks like that.
    Last edited by Kemuel; 15-04-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemuel View Post
    Seen one talk lots of this not being the final version, but can't help but wonder why not? Nose/mouth looks perfectly fine to me. Giraffe looks like that.
    Fixed that for you.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The washed out dull look doesn't really do it for me, honestly. As Ride says, we're already purposefully obnoxious and in your face with our style, so why should the logo be any different? If anything, I thought it was cool how the giraffe had more or less the same colour as the giraffe camo itself.
    Agreed, imho there's nothing pastel about the way we roll (or the whole game in general, for that matter).

Endless rehashing of the same opinions is once more getting in the way of progress, can we please move away from the Design Diktat and put things to a final vote?

The premises here are unclear, and I must say that I find a slightly authoritarian hint in some of your posts, which bugs me a bit.
    I find this pretty unnecessarily offensive tbh. Ive been trying to drive the whole logo discussion and graphical thing, so I think im within my rights to make some choices in the decision making process, given that there were only a few of us talking about it in the original thread.

Rizlar said what I meant to convey much better, but as far as im concerned it doesnt matter how I convey it because its what I think:

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    I don't feel that a vote would be helpful now, see Eclectic's link and my response a few pages back. We should come to a general consensus, and people can put forward the case for their preferred designs, but using voting seems too blunt an instrument and unnecessary.

Yes I think the bananna version is fucking horrible, but in the end id be happy to go with what people prefer. The point was that I dont want to keep going through rounds of voting when its not at all necessary. We have the opinions we need, we just need to finish it off and present some final choices.

Personally I really do like the more sophisticated look, because it just screams out as being a better/nicer/whatever you want to call it objectively, logo. If people want a garish version, which I dont personally undertstand, I think it would be best to go with the suggested approach of having a standard sophisticated for site/stuff and a garish silly one for in game (if they implement that). Somebody commented about having the yellow match the camo.. Well the pastel yellow is much closer to a giraffe camo colour than the bananna.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I don't know, this discussion has already been going on for two months or more. I'd like to see an end to it. And about forum frequenters being the only ones having a say, why not? We're the ones driving the evolution of the outfit, were the ones organising things like training sessions, calls to arms, we pages and outfit guides. Why shouldn't we get to decide?
    what is the purpose of this logo? Is it supposed to be a product of this community, or is it supposed to be reserved for a subset of the community for use in their graphical projects? Why involve the community if you would rather leave it to a council of supreme taste? Who decides who is going to decide?
    Same thing to both of you about this:

Point 1: the timespan was affected by the fact that nobody replied to the original thread about it for a while. Cooper then started it up again with this one after some of us had gotten it that far. I dont think that is important.. Id much rather take my time given that its not of the highest importance and get it done right.

Point 2: The suggestion was that a few of us decide on the final 5 or so designs, not on the finalised singular design.. I never said that the decision should be made by a few, just that if a few of us made a decision about one of each "style" and then presented a few choices for the rest of you, it would take a LOT of the stress of it away. We have your opinions, and ours, we can now finalise somethings and hence theres no need to vote YET.

Certaintly though, there was no "council of supreme taste", I simply want to make sure the choices for final product work well together, which really I would leave down to Rizlar. I would ideally like him to suggest a few final colourschemes which take into account each style that we have so far i.e. a muted one, garish one, muted switched colours, etc. This council you speak of wouldnt be making any final choice, because we essentially have narrowed it down to a few, we would just select colours for you all to then vote on.. The point was to do it AT THE END, rather than now.

If it were entirely up to me, I would present maybe 5 - 10 final versions of the design and let Cooper have the final say, but I realise that people want to have a say and that is exactly why I said we should put it down to a vote at the end.

If people have a problem with the way im trying to move this along just go ahead and say it and ill happily give up trying to help. I know that this might be a bit of a dramatic thing to suggest, but it seems some people might not like that im trying to steer it along, and I honestly dont want to cause more pain than necessary.. Im just trying to help, and move it along to a decent conclusion. I was asked to sort all of this out along with the youtube stuff, or I was given it by default because I suggested it.

Either way, I was just trying to steer people to understand the best decisions graphically from my perspective. You might all like the garish look, but it doesnt look right, at least not in its current sense.. Whatever is decided, it will have been partially all of your choice, given that most of the suggestions were from you guys. Its hardly like im trying to fully enforce my view, because I actually purposefully steered away from my own design, even though you all voted for it. (number 4 on OP). I much prefer rizlars overall design, granted it was formed from my orignal.

Colour is really the key issue now, and there are thousands of combinations we could choose.. I just want to make sure its the right one, because its part of our identity. I have been thinking about it from an outside viewpoint.. if I saw it, would I think it was ugly etc.

Anyway, what ever is decided is fine, and at this point im pretty fed up of people pushing the crap onto me when all im trying to do is push it along. Make what you will of this, just please dont throw any unnecessary shit my way. If you have any further issues with me personally, Which it seems some of you might have, Pm me privately because id rather not discuss it here.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 16-04-2013 at 02:22 AM.