Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar

Post [VS] Outfit guide

The guide will be collaboratively produced and then this first post updated with the final product.

Design brief is here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

This is not collaborative, though I will make any additions and changes that are needed if people suggest them.

Collaborative guide is here:

Please add to that and comment. I want this to be a joint effort. We can all write, so the barrier to engagement is very low. If I end up writing this mostly myself, I will not be pleased.

The guide will be hosted on the website
    LINKS TO BE PLACED HERE.
    Last edited by Cooper; 02-06-2013 at 01:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Seems good to me!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Looks good as an outline. I'll see if I can contribute some suggestions for content once my new system drive is installed and I'm off this bloody phone.

So happy to see this coming about!

Activated Node
    Looks absolutely spot on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Little bit on outfit history, perhaps?

If not for the guide, we still need this for the website id say, so it might be worth having a section for this in some collaborative document.

NOTE TO COOPER: As ive said before, I set up an email to be used for "rpsgiraffey" things, and its the one i use for the youtube.. If we want to use this as a port of call and general contact/enquiries I can give you access to it cooper... It is "rpsgiraffes@gmail.com" though, so im not sure if you would want that as our contact or not.. Up to you

Starting to collect comms guides that have been witten:

I CANNOT FIND THESE GUIDELINES
    And bugger me if I'm gonna trawl 50+ pages of outfit discussion to find them.

If you have written comm guidelines before, please post a link below so they can be added to the reference document.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Added link to guide to edit in front post.

Anyone can edit, Google account or no.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Dunno if this is useful in any way:

http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides...nication-guide

'Tis a guide to basic radio communication. Not sure how intricate we are gonna make things but it never hurts to know a bit about basic radio comms.
    "Time is a companion, travelling with us on the journey of life, to remind us to cherish each moment as it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

A guide to squad Radio Operators (ROs)

A short guide to becoming an accomplished radio operator. I have enough confidence in my own abilities in this role to type something up about it. Have a look and feed back any comments or observations you might have!

What a R
    adio Operator is:
    The radio operator (RO) is the player in a squad who is connected to the platoon command channel. ROs from the squads in a platoon share a channel with the Platoon Leader (PL), this channel is called the platoon command channel.

The RO's job is to relay orders from PL to the Squad Leader (SL), so that the SL can implement the orders. RO also relays intel and situational reports (sitreps) and any requests from the SL (reinforcements, permission to switch objectives etc) to the PL.

The RO's purpose is to allow the SL to focus entirely on directing his/her troops on the battlefield.

What your job is:

• Receive orders from command
    • Relay orders to squad
    • Report in when arriving at objective
    • Give sitreps, relay intel and requests as needed during the mission
    • Report progress to command
    • Request new orders in good time, so that the squad can move on once the objective has been completed or know where to regroup if it fails

How to be a good RO:
    General tips:
    • Edit: Your first priority is relaying PL's orders to your squad and its SL and to keep your PL informed of your squad's progress. You will be less effective as a soldier, and this is to be expected.
    • State your squad name in all communication ("Charlie requesting new orders")

Orders and objectives:
    • Acknowledge orders ("Charlie to Sungrey West satellite, roger")
    • When arriving at objective, report in ("Charlie arrived at The Ascent, no resistance")
    • Ask for new orders when it is evident that the current objective is achieved, which is often well before the cap has gone through ("Charlie here, The Bastion is ours soon, requesting new objective")

Sitreps:

• Give sitreps from time to time, to keep PL informed of what is going on
    • State your location when giving sitreps ("Charlie arrived at The Ascent, no resistance")
    • Relay sitreps from other squads to your squad, your squaddies will thank you for it

Intel:

• When you spot or encounter a significant enemy or friendly force, relay that intel to the platoon command channel ("Charlie spotted significant enemy air above Sungrey")
    • Be specific when relaying intel ("Charlie meeting heavy resistance at Blackridge, at least three squads of infantry")

Practicalities:
    • ROs should be the only squad members in the platoon command channel, to free SLs up from the command chatter.
    • ROs and PL should be made Priority Speakers in Mumble, so that command chat gets a priority over squad banter.
    • Brevity! Think before speaking. Formulate a good, short reply, request or report before you start talking.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 03-05-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added a note on brevity

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Esoteric, that is excellent!

Network Hub
    So this isn't meant to be a how-to-play-the-game guide. Do we currently have a how-to-play-the-game guide of some sort? ie recommendations on class builds and weapon buys and various tricks its useful to know.

I know this stuff is available elsewhere, but if you don't know what you're looking for it's damn hard to separate the good advice from the bad.

Absolutely excellent Esoteric
    "Time is a companion, travelling with us on the journey of life, to remind us to cherish each moment as it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."

Thanks for the feedback! If you find something you'd like to add or clarify or something you don't agree with, let me know. I've just added a section with a checklist of tasks:

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    What your job is:

• Receive orders from command
    • Relay orders to squad
    • Report in when arriving at objective
    • Give sitreps, relay intel and requests as needed during the mission
    • Report progress to command
    • Request new orders in good time, so that the squad can move on once the objective has been completed or know where to regroup if it fails
    Edit: we should do similar checklists or short guides for the other roles (grunt, SL, PL, SG). Does anyone feel like takng that on, or should I start out with that too? I've got some ideas and observations to convey, but others may be better suited for this.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 12-04-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Esoteric, in my opinion you should certainly consider continuing to write these guides. You seem to have a real knack for it. Theyre easy to understand and very informative. Only if you want to though, of course. I would post one about SL or PL myself, but due to my recent absences i'm completely out of the teamplay bubble. Given that fact though, i will certainly add suggestions for you to include when my memory is inevitably sparked.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Relay sitreps from other squads to your squad, your squaddies will thank you for it - These can also be highly relevant, if a squad in a neighbouring base meets heavy resistance in form of air or armor, it will give your squad leader an opportunity to reorder his squad with bursters/heavies etc. as he sees fit.

Good guide

Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    So this isn't meant to be a how-to-play-the-game guide. Do we currently have a how-to-play-the-game guide of some sort? ie recommendations on class builds and weapon buys and various tricks its useful to know.

I know this stuff is available elsewhere, but if you don't know what you're looking for it's damn hard to separate the good advice from the bad.
    No, it is not meant to be a "how to play the game" guide.

Many gides better than we could write have been written.

If you know of a particularly good guide, please post a link and it can be included in the links in the outfit guide.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Esoteric, in my opinion you should certainly consider continuing to write these guides. You seem to have a real knack for it. Theyre easy to understand and very informative. Only if you want to though, of course. I would post one about SL or PL myself, but due to my recent absences i'm completely out of the teamplay bubble. Given that fact though, i will certainly add suggestions for you to include when my memory is inevitably sparked.
    Alright, I shall continue then. Would be good to have you back, Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    Relay sitreps from other squads to your squad, your squaddies will thank you for it - These can also be highly relevant, if a squad in a neighbouring base meets heavy resistance in form of air or armor, it will give your squad leader an opportunity to reorder his squad with bursters/heavies etc. as he sees fit.

Good guide
    thanks! I find that relaying info on what is going on in the rest of the platoon/outfit is something's seem to be almost the only one doing, and I think it is very important. Without that, you will feel lost and kinda purposeless as a footsoldier.

Guide to Squad Leaders (SLs)

What a Squad Leader is:
    The Squad Leader (SL) is the person who directs the squad towards achieving its objectives, and makes and implements any tactical decisions. The SL calls for vehicle spawns and loadout changes as required to implement whatever tactics he or she is pursuing.

The SL also places squad spawn beacons, that can be used to direct drop pods for squad members.

As SL, your primary responsibility is to make sure that your squad is working together, making what progress you can, and most of all feeling engaged and having fun. The SL is generally not on the platoon command channel.

What your job is:
    • Receive orders from your Radio Operator (RO)
    • Decide how to best achieve your objectives
    • Decide on any pertinent squad tactics (smoke cover, tank rush, stealth etc.)
    • Ensure the appropriate squad setup (classes, loadouts, vehicles)
    • Ensure that your squad works together towards your objective
    • Added: Coordinate with other squad leaders using your SL-to-SL chat!
    • Ask your RO to relay any information or request you might have to command
    • And most importantly: try to ensure that everyone is having a good time

How to be a good SL:
    General tips:
    • Squad cohesion (sticking together) is incredibly important, both for your effectivenes as a unit, and for your sense of companionship
    • Remember to use your spawn beacon!
    • Most people won't mind being told what to do (to a certain extent); it gives a sense of purpose, and being part of a greater whole
    • When playing with newer players, make sure that they understand what's going on, and that they get to feel useful despite being new to the game

Earning your squad's respect:

• Have a plan, it must not be a good plan, but have one
    • Be assertive, but not aggressive! ("OK, Charlie squad, this is how we're gonna do it!")
    • Talk a lot; make it clear that you are present and dedicated to the squad's performance and well-being
    • Lead by example, be the first into the breach, the first to the landing zone etc.

Infantry play:
    • Having forward spawns cannot be overestimated. Always ensure that there is a Sundedrer near your objective. Enemy Sunderers are priority targets.
    • Aggression is effective, even across open ground against tanks and aircraft, if you can back it up with good medics and/or nearby Sunderers
    • Be proactive with anti-air capability; always bring a burster

Redeployment/mobility:
    • Enforce swift redeployment, whether it is by Galaxy or Sunderer or Flash mob. 60 seconds is more than enough for a tight unit to load up and get going. Start a countdown if time is of the essence!
    • Know where you are expected to go next, and make sure that you have the transportation needed considering the terrain etc.
    • Having a dedicated Galaxy pilot never hurts
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 03-05-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Added an entry about the SL-to-SL comms.

Network Hub
    Wouldn't it be good if the requirements of those different roles were written also? So people can identify what they need to work on?

Like SL needs a basic knowledge of classes and of what weak against what and such
    while RO needs a little training at multi-tasking (with the standard attention span of RPS readers, it shoudn't be a problem...)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silgidorn View Post
    Wouldn't it be good if the requirements of those different roles were written also? So people can identify what they need to work on?

Like SL needs a basic knowledge of classes and of what weak against what and such
    while RO needs a little training at multi-tasking (with the standard attention span of RPS readers, it shoudn't be a problem...)
    Not really.

I think noone steps up to SL before having a certain exposure to the game, so he/she knows that stuff. As for RO and multitasking, you said it, broth-- Aw, a prutty birdie