Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Great guide, but an addition: ALWAYS BE TALKING as SL. Incredibly important. I myself have a hard time playing under a silent SL.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

Guide to Platoon Leaders (PLs)

What a Platoon Leader (PL) is:
    The Platoon Leader (PL) is the leader of a Planetside 2 platoon, four 12-man squads. The PL is responsiuble for coordinating his or her squads, directing them towards areas where they will be of use to the overall goal of the night, and where they will have good fights.

The PL is responsible for the overall strategic decisions for the platoon, and if there is multi-platoon coordination going on, to implement the orders of the Supreme Giraffe (SG).

The PL is on the command channel receiving sitreps and intel from Radio Operators (ROs), and deciding on orders for the squads, to handle any situations that may arise. PLs tend to watch the map a lot, and play the FPS game a bit less, although this can vary between leaders.

Running an open platoon (open to any player) can be an effective way to herd some of the zerg towards where they can be of use.

What your job is:

• If there is no SG:
      • make sure there is a comms liaison
      • decide on an overall objective for the next few hours
      • communicate this objective to the platoon members

• If there is a SG
      • receive objectives from them
      • relay any pertinent information or requests to them

• Decide how to use your forces to achieve your objectives
    • Give orders to the ROs of your squads, as appropriate
    • Receive intel and sitreps and adapt your strategy, resulting in new orders as needed
    • Keep in mind that people want to have fun; fun generally means good fights

How to be a good PL:
    General tips:
    • Learn to read the map; learn to discover threats, predict enemy movements, detect encircling attempts etc. This comes naturally with experience.
    • Get on /leader or /l chat (leadership cert required); listen in on what's going on there
    • Use your liaison (comms liaison) to coordinate with other outfits and any pubbie players
    • Everyone is in the outfit to have fun playing with good people in a good atmopsphere. Try to give people something to remember (in a good way) from your time as PL. A massive gal drop, a combined arms rush, an epic WW1-style infantry push across the plains of Esamir, an epic defense of an Amp Station far behind enemy lines, anything.
    • Added: You don't actually have to be PL in-game! As long as you get a SL slot, you can use /leader chat and smoke. The platoon waypoint is often not needed for tactical play, and the PL role in-game comes with a lot of management duties when people start moving around.
    • KEEP CALM. And bring a towel.

Increasing the effectiveness of the platoon:

• Give clear and precise orders to your squads
    • Don't split up too much; try to keep squads within easy reinforcement distance of eachother
    • Don't bunch up too much; sending four squads to fight 6 enemies makes everyone feel superfluous
    • Plan one move ahead; this allows squads to set up for their next move before their current objective is fully completed
    • Learn when it is appropriate to

Winning the respect of your squads:
    • Set up a shout to all of your squads, use it every now and then to shout encouragement or convey general information and orders; players love to feel like they are a part of something larger then themselves
    • Have a goal for the night, explain it to the entire squad using your shout-to-all key
    • Be supportive; players like to feel that what they do is seen and appreciated, use the shout-to-all key some times
    • Be assertive; "uhmm, well..." is not the best response to a request for orders, if you can't decide, ask for suggestions
    • Be respectful and humble; your will is the law, generally speaking, but all your decisions might not be the best. Be respectful of feedback from squads and redirect them as appropriate.

Running an open platoon:
    • Most people like to have a purpose; don't be afraid to give order
    • Use in-game platoon voice comms
    • Be clear, precise and assertive
    • Order of business
      • Come up with a plan, any plan will do, as long as it sounds reasonable
      • Convey that plan to your platoon, in a clear, precise and assertive manner
      • Explain how to implement the plan
      • Implement the plan

• Having RPS veterans as SLs in the open platoon really helps!
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 03-05-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added another little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Great guide, but an addition: ALWAYS BE TALKING as SL. Incredibly important. I myself have a hard time playing under a silent SL.
    Excellent suggestion. Added under Earning the squad's respect.

Activated Node
    http://blog.moviefone.com/2009/11/11...om-war-movies/
    Blank filling lines, anyone?
    Last edited by Silgidorn; 12-04-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Taking the lead (not pun intended) from Esoteric's excellent guide, I've posted a bit about how I, as a reluctant leader, approach making decisions:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post288250
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 12-04-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Moved to the cops of giraffe thread

Guide to Supreme Giraffes (SGs)

This, I have never tried, so I'm just pulling this out of my arse. Any input from those who have experienced it would be appreciated. I'll fix the formatting and categories of tips when I get some feedback and put some more content in there.

What a Supreme Giraffe is:

Supreme Giraffe (SG) is our term for the pinnacle of outfit leadership, coordinating multiple platoons. The SG has of the same responsibilities as Platoon Leaders (PLs) do, and if there are less than 50 outfit members online, the PL will in practice also be the SG, so this guide also applies to any PLs acting alone.

The SG should have some supporting staff to help cope with the task of leading an organisation so large. The comms liaison, or just liaison, will interface with other outfits via the Vanu Accord TeamSpeak server, and through /leader and /orders chat. Having one or two advance scouts increases strategic awareness immensely, spotting enemy and friendly movements before they show up on the map.

The SG sets the goal for the his or her period of reign, preferrably something concrete that can be easily conveyed to the players. As with PL, any SG should aim to set up at least on set-piece moment, something that will have everyone working together towards something impressive to show off the scale of the game.

What your job is:
    • Make sure someone is comms liaison
    • Set a goal for your leadership
    • Figure out what forces are at your disposal, decide how to put them to good use
    • Explain to everyone what's going to happen
    • Give specific orders to each PL under your command
    • Try to keep on top of the changing topography of territory control and troop movements
    • Adjust your strategy as needed, interacting with other outfits for the glory of Vanu!

How to be a good SG:
    General tips:
    • Be decisive and assertive
    • Have a plan; doesn't need to be a good plan, but it needs to be clear
    • Be ready to throw your plan out the window; change your mind iof you must, but not too often
    • Set up a shout to all players under your command; use it, sparingly, for encouragement, and to announce the next step of or any major shift in your plans. Also use it if you need all players to do something together, such as redeploy to warpgate.
    • Get on /leader or /l chat (leadership cert required); listen in on what's going on there
    • Use your liaison (comms liaison) to coordinate with other outfits and any pubbie players
    • Give your PLs a lot of leeway in how to direct their platoons; general orders are preferable ("Platoon 1, hold the western flank. Platoon 2, take and hold Mao Tech.")
    • Relay any intel your scouts give you to your PLs.
    • Added: always do a debriefing session after any night of organised play (see below)

Added: Debriefings:

• Debriefings should always be held after ay night of organised play
    • Bring any leaders and ROs and anyone else who wants to participate into one channel on Mumble
    • Suggested agenda:
      • Goals for the night; did we succeed? Why?/Why not?
      • Did we have a good time? Why?/Why not?
      • PL feedback; contact with squads, overall strategy, crisis management
      • Spotlights, possibly squad by squad to minimise chaos; let anyone put the spotlight on something that was especially good or well handled, to give recognition and to encourage good play
      • Lessons learned; jotting down a couple of notes as a summary of the discussions on this point and posting on the forum would preserve the most important aspect of the debriefing for future reference
      • Good job everyone, back to business!
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 15-04-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added a bit on debriefings

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Perhaps this doesn't fit here, but how I approach leading:

-I want to enter a building. I try to find a good approach, that covers me, and also lets me observe enemy movement. Perhaps to the south wall, SE corner, using a rock. But wouldn't it be better if first I checked around the SW corner as well? And how about first approaching from a tree a bit further back. It doesn't give me such a good approach, but I can see more clearly where the enemy will be coming from. These are the places where the rest of my squad goes.

-But even when approaching and securing that building, how do I scout the enemy. And my west flank is exposed. And there are mossies about. These are where the other squads go.

-But even if I manage to secure this base, they may counter-attack from the north. And my operational objective is in the south. And I see open territory to the west. These are where other platoons go, and other outfit requested to go through the comms liaison.
    Yeah, good tactical/strategical awareness pointers. Not sure if they should fit into any of the guides I've started, but maybe somewhere else, to exemplify the kind of considerations SL, PL and SG should have in mind though?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Yeah, good tactical/strategical awareness pointers. Not sure if they should fit into any of the guides I've started, but maybe somewhere else, to exemplify the kind of considerations SL, PL and SG should have in mind though?
    Maybe in the grunt guide, which any role being up in the hierarchy should master anyway... no?
    Last edited by Silgidorn; 12-04-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: my french overcame

Mhmm. Might fit there. We'll see. I really want to keep them short and digestible, so people don't feel overwhelmed.

A guide for giraffes (or grunts)

Lots more to add here, certainly, but I'm too tired to think of anything more right now. This is the fifth guide like this that I've written within a few hours' time... Feedback greatly appreciated, as always.

What a giraffe is:

The giraffes, or soldiers, squaddies or grunts, are the ones who get things done, the ones without whom all the leadership people would just be a waste of air. The giraffes are sorted into squads of 12, led by one Squad Leader (SL). Four squads make a platoon, led by a Platoon Leader (PL), and the SL has a Radio Operator (RO) to keep contact with the platoon leadership.

The giraffes shoot the baddies, revive their friends, repair facilities and vehicles, infiltrate, pilot, drive and generally make the world go 'round.

As a grunt your first priority should be to enjoy yourself while shooting the other guys.

What your job is:
    • Know who your SL is
    • Listen to what your SL says
    • Follow SL's orders (to the best of your ability)
    • Shoot the other guys
    • Ask if there's anything you feel unsure of
    • Be excellent to each other

How to be a good giraffe:
    General tips:
    • There are lots of good guides out there on how to play the game, etc. Check YouTube and other sites.
    • Added: Try weapons out in VR Training before buying, you can learn how they ahndle, how they sound etc before putting any money or hard-earned certs down. Also a great place to learn how to fly!

Section added: Improving squad play:

• Work together with your squad mates; stick together, provide cover, healing, ammo, call out enemy movements
    • Call out enemy movements, ask for help when you need it etc.
    • When doing so, use cardinal directions and absolute locations ("Infiltrator north of spawn building, moving east") "I need repairs" or "Enemy Sundy at my location" is never enough information.
    • Use the 'Q' key to spot enemies, every friendly within 150 m gets a reticle over the enemy's head when you do (and you get a spot XP bonus if someone kills them within a few seconds!)

Earning your SL's respect:
    • Know the difference between banter-time and orders-and-focus-time
    • Be quiet when he or she is directing the squad; see previous point
    • Comply with orders, within reason; otherwise, let SL know why you cannot
    • Get a mic and speak up, or learn to type quickly in /squad or /s chat
    • When asked to redeploy or load up in a vehicle, be quick about it, or state that you will catch up on your own

Section added: Sunderers fuel fights:
    • If you se an enemy Sundy, call it out so your squad can destroy it
    • 50 of your early certs should go into the AMS for the Sunderer
    • If you have it (remember to equip it too!), ask your SL if more Sundies are needed, they often are, and this is easy to lose track of when leading a squad
    • If unsure of where to deploy Sunderers, ask someone who is more experienced
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 12-04-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added things MrEclectic suggested

Esoteric is on a roll today!

One more thing. When you have the certs, one of your priorities should be the AMS module for the Sunderer. They blow up in myriad ways all the time, so more are always needed. Don't be afraid to ask where to deploy one, if you're unsure. And always ask if we need more sundies. We usually do.

For this guide it would be neat if we could fix a pdf or something where you can navigate by clicking links etc. Of course you can do that in docs as well. Anyway, Giraffe guide should be the first guide you see.
    Find me on the Steams

Esoteric is on a roll today!

One more thing. When you have the certs, one of your priorities should be the AMS module for the Sunderer. They blow up in myriad ways all the time, so more are always needed. Don't be afraid to ask where to deploy one, if you're unsure. And always ask if we need more sundies. We usually do.
    Thanks! Added some stuff about Sundies.

For this guide it would be neat if we could fix a pdf or something where you can navigate by clicking links etc. Of course you can do that in docs as well. Anyway, Giraffe guide should be the first guide you see.
    Yeah definitely! This is just a work in progress thing, to share my thoughts and solicit some feedback.

Addition to PL and SG - it is their job to make sure there is a liason as well. And it's everyone elses job to take the job as liason.
    Find me on the Steams

Aye, good plan. Will add that! Should write a similar guide for the liaison role too, I suppose.

Addition to PL and SG - it is their job to make sure there is a liason as well. And it's everyone elses job to take the job as liason.
    Yes. Always try to coordinate. Even if it's just a "we're on casual mode/just mucking about. But I'll ask the guys and get back to you", it will be appreciated. And this outfit is actively pushing for inter-outfit cooperation and coordination. In fact, it should be noted that it is one of our strategic priorities.

n fact, it should be noted that it is one of our strategic priorities.
    These should prabably be listed somewhere too, outside of the role-specific guides.

I meant that it's the PLs job to remember that a liason should exist - they themselves should not do it.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    These should prabably be listed somewhere too, outside of the role-specific guides.
    I think an addition for PLs of "Always promote inter-outfit cooperation. Ask for a volunteer for Comms Liaison. Keep other outfits informed" should suffice, and details be put in other posts or threads. Too many PLs actively ignore requests, without even a "sorry, guys, cannot help right now", especially on more casual nights. Not because of indifference or anything like that, but because they don't know how important it is.

"Make sure there is a comms liaison" must be adequately non-specific, surely? A bit tough, of course, if there is nobody online who wants to be liaison... Eclectic's wording might be better.